Semi-lockdown wild food

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 skog 29 Mar 2020

While we're in not-quite-lockdown, there's still the chance for some of us, with quiet woodland right by home, to gather a wee bit of wild food on our daily walks.

I'm not as good at this as I'd like to be, but I see the nettles are sprouting, so we'll be having nettle soup later this week.

What else is available at this time of year? I haven't seen any wild garlic yet, but I think it should be popping up soon.

wintertree 29 Mar 2020
In reply to skog:

We have rabbits venturing in and digging holes.  Having no gun I've been trying to catch them by running.  Total failure so far.

Dandelions are starting to show - I'm sure you can make some revolting drink from them.

Gorse is starting to flower.  I want to make some wine with gorse flowers and local honey, but have not yet got the kit.  

girlymonkey 29 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> We have rabbits venturing in and digging holes.  Having no gun I've been trying to catch them by running.  Total failure so far.

I could make some money by renting out my dog to help in such circumstances! 😜

Sl@te Head 29 Mar 2020
In reply to skog:

Had nettle soup earlier this week

I'm lucky that I live within walking distance from the sea so hopefully I will forage for shellfish etc. during a walk later this week....

SDM 29 Mar 2020
In reply to skog:

The wild garlic around Worksop has been out in force for about a month now.

Do different varieties/locations have a big variation in timing?

OP skog 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> I'm lucky that I live within walking distance from the sea

I'm jealous!

But we're lucky to have several areas of woodland right by us where we can generally avoid people entirely, and easily keep a large distance if we do meet someone, so I can't complain.

And we have a small river nearby too.

There's even a quarry with decent climbing - but the quarry is more of a frustration, as it'd be wrong to take that risk just now.

OP skog 29 Mar 2020
In reply to SDM:

I think most things are a couple of weeks behind the south, up here, with northern Scotland further behind still.

Sl@te Head 29 Mar 2020
In reply to skog:

> And we have a small river nearby too.

Fishing?

OP skog 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I'm veggie, but I do know someone nearby who will remain nameless and is able to do a little fishing just now.

Dr.S at work 29 Mar 2020
In reply to SDM:

Ah, beautiful Worksop! (ex of Carlton-in-Lindrick)

Further south again in North Somerset we will be a bit ahead. Mendips behind my house and good mix of  terrain types within a sensible run, could reasonably expect to get Wood sorrel, Nettles and wild garlic.

My usual forgaing associated with exercise is a trip to The Crown or The Swan. alas.

deepsoup 29 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> We have rabbits venturing in and digging holes.  Having no gun I've been trying to catch them by running.  Total failure so far.

I have lots of  ideas to help with this, picked up off the telly when I was a lad. 

Have you tried dressing up as a sexy lady rabbit?

wintertree 29 Mar 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

> Have you tried dressing up as a sexy lady rabbit?

Ask again after a few more weeks of lockdown...

Moley 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

> Fishing?

I have a reservoir full of trout up the road and always star on April 1st.

Unfortunately fishing is a current no-no

girlymonkey 29 Mar 2020
In reply to skog:

Cambu? Nice running though and I am told starting to dry out a bit underfoot having been a slippy, squelchy bogfest all winter! My foot is still settling down from an injury though so I'm cycling rather than running at the moment. Maybe get up for a run soon though - it's a nice soft surface for starting back into running after a lay off. Cycle there to warm up, short run in the woods and cycle home 😊

OP skog 29 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yep! It's still a bit muddy in places, not like it was but we're walking in wellies. If this weather keeps up it'll be a lot drier soon.

If we get the chance we're going to have a cycle up North Third way, too.

girlymonkey 29 Mar 2020
In reply to skog:

I did that last weekend and found that the rest of the world had the same idea and the wiggly bit of road up from Cambusbarron to the reservoir is not very wide. You can just about do 2m but it's not so convenient. I have changed my regular rides to going out past Fallin to Airth and then using the pineapple turn off to get onto the back roads towards Cowie and doing variants of routes there. Plenty of space to pass, mostly good visibility to see people and cars approaching so time to work out how to pass etc. A little less scenic than North third but still pretty nice. Good panoramic of the Ochils 

OP skog 29 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Ta, we'll avoid that for now then.

It's really frustrating looking across at the remains of the snow on Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin, isn't it?

LastBoyScout 29 Mar 2020
In reply to skog:

There are deer in the woods behind our house...

And lots of squirrels...

Post edited at 14:58
 girlymonkey 29 Mar 2020
In reply to skog:

SO much!! However, at least we can see them!! Hope you find some nice cycling to enjoy, generally I have found the bigger roads to be pretty quiet and plenty of space to pass so pretty good options out there!

marsbar 29 Mar 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I tried squirrel meat once.  I really don't recommend it except in an emergency.  

J101 29 Mar 2020
In reply to SDM:

Been out for about 10 days here in Hertfordshire, just gathered a few bits while walking the dog earlier, probably make some pesto I think.

Tringa 29 Mar 2020
In reply to J101:

If anyone fancies foraging but hasn't tried it "Food For Free" by Richard Mabey is a decent guide.

Although some edible fungi show themselves early in the year, most appear in late summer and into autumn.

I hope either all or the worst of coronavirus will be over by then, but if it isn't remember the rule when you collect edible fungi.

Any fungi you collect to eat should be divided into three portions.

The first is for you, the second is for the doctor and the third is for the coroner.

Let's be careful out there.

Dave

J101 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Tringa:

The only mushroom I can recognise is a giant puffball and even then I'm not risking it!

I'll stick to wild garlic, nettles and wild asparagus for the foreseeable future I think.

DANDREWS 29 Mar 2020
In reply to J101:

If you live near the coast there is a plant called Alexanders which is in the carrot family and all of it is edible.It was introduced to the UK by the Romans and is in bloom now.Wood Sorrel is also another edible plant which I know of.Be careful of the Alexanders because Hemlock is in the same family and it is deadly.  

In reply to skog:

Three-cornered leek is abundantly flowering, and it's invasive so it's our duty to eat it all and remove it. 

Tom Last 29 Mar 2020
In reply to skog:

Rock Samphire is lovely fried, with fish preferably and abundant in the South West. Must cost an arm and a leg in Waitrose too.

Tringa 02 Apr 2020
In reply to J101:

Some years ago, when it was still OK to collect the odd fungi close to home. I collected a couple of parasol mushrooms. I cooked them an we had them, and they were really nice. Unfortunately for some other reason my wife felt sick later in the evening. For a while she was convinced the mushrooms were poisonous. Even though I was fine it took a while for her to believe I hadn't poisoned her.

Dave

For a few years the collecting of fungi from my usual place had been banned due to some people collecting fungi in huge sacks.

OP skog 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Tringa:

Parasol or shaggy parasol? Similar, but the latter is known for causing stomach upsets in some people, even after cooked.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...