Second Covid Jab brought forward?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 May 2021

HM Gov announced about 10 days ago they were bringing forward the 2nd jab for over 50s because of the Indian VOC. As a 70-year-old with my second jab still four weeks away I was expecting the call - but silence.

I was wondering if anyone on here has had their date brought forward or was it just bull/flannel?

Chris

profitofdoom 22 May 2021
In reply to Chris Craggs:

My wife just had hers brought well forward 

didntcomelast 22 May 2021
In reply to Chris Craggs: 56 living in the north east  have had my second jab brought forward to today ( im away so postponed till next week) that would have been 9 weeks gap, now 10  

Wise 22 May 2021

Had mine brought forward to 9 weeks.

Southwest and 50

Cobra_Head 22 May 2021

9 weeks for my  and most of my mates. all under 60, some by quite a bit.

2nd one today

RobAJones 22 May 2021

Both of us 50's had our second a month ago, 6 weeks after the first. On the other hand I have friends who live 30 miles away, still in Cumbria and are expected to travel 40 miles to have their second next week, 11weeks after their first. 

Iwan 22 May 2021

11 weeks and a day since I had first jab, haven't heard anything since?

toad 22 May 2021

I'm still on for my original date- week on Thursday ( I think). Sort of at the ready for it NOW stage

veteye 22 May 2021

I'm in the East Midlands, and heard nothing, but then my next one is on Tuesday.

Šljiva 22 May 2021
In reply to veteye: west london walk ins for 2nd jab have been 8 weeks for some time. 

ranger*goy 22 May 2021

My husband 50 had an email but he’s keeping his 11 week appointment. He’s busy at work and would have to cancel his existing appointment to view other appointments.

I’m 45 and will be getting mine next Tuesday at 9 weeks.

deepsoup 22 May 2021

I didn't have the second one booked already, but did get a text from my GP last week inviting me for the second shot after 8 weeks instead of the 12 I'd been expecting - done now.  (54, also in Sheff.)

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 May 2021
In reply to all:

Thanks for the feedback - maybe I will get the nod next week, here's hoping,

Chris

I got an email today.

But you have to cancel your existing appointment first. And I'm not sure I want to trust the booking system to give me an earlier appointment... It doesn't seem to be aware that you have been invited to bring your date forward, even though you enter your existing booking reference #. Yet another example of the rather sub-optimal booking system...

In other news, I popped into Boots to pick up a test kit. The girl asked how many I wanted, and when I asked if they came in packs, she said no, there's just one test per pack. I asked for a couple of tests. She gave me three packs.

There are seven tests in each pack...

Šljiva 23 May 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Looks like anyone can book their second dose after 8 weeks now, I just changed our appointments and we’re not over 50.  As you said, we had to cancel the original ones but there was no shortage of availability - think any centre, any day, any time… 

Post edited at 11:34
 Jim Hamilton 23 May 2021

> Thanks for the feedback - maybe I will get the nod next week, here's hoping,

You might be able to check locally what situation is - lot round round us have cancelled via website and then rescheduled for sooner no problem, and at a more convenient location . 

Hooo 23 May 2021

Mine got brought forward a week. Had it yesterday and feeling just as rough today as I did last time. I'm 51. It seems to be a complete lottery and just depends on local stocks.

Ridge 23 May 2021

> But you have to cancel your existing appointment first. And I'm not sure I want to trust the booking system to give me an earlier appointment... It doesn't seem to be aware that you have been invited to bring your date forward, even though you enter your existing booking reference #. Yet another example of the rather sub-optimal booking system..

+1

If you so much as look at your booking it's cancelled and you have to spend the evening constantly going through the process from start to finish in the hope a slot has popped up somewhere in the vicinity.

My second shot is in a fortnight and I'm leaving the booking system well alone in case I end up a month later and in a different county for the next slot.

In response to the OP, I had a text, Mrs Ridge hasn't had any communications.

cathsullivan 24 May 2021

> I got an email today.

> But you have to cancel your existing appointment first. And I'm not sure I want to trust the booking system to give me an earlier appointment...

This is exactly what I was thinking. I got a text and email on Saturday. I have my second jab booked for about a week and half's time, which is 11 weeks after the first one.  I'd be willing to try and rearrange it but, given that I had quite bad side effects (briefly) last time, I've planned a few things around it quite carefully.  So, I'm reluctant to move it in case I feel ill again (e.g., can't really afford to be off sick this week and my original booking is a weekend so no problem there).  And I am really unhappy about cancelling the original appointment without having another one booked.

I'm  confused by the whole thing really.  I thought the evidence was suggesting, in some cases, that delaying slightly longer than 12 weeks gave better protection.  The cynical part of me thinks they are just trying to ensure that they can quote a high percentage of people having had two jabs in time for 21st June.  I don't have much confidence that I've been invited to go sooner because the evidence suggests that it's better for me in terms of inoculation.  But maybe being too cynical!  My partner is in the same age band as me (although a few years older) and had his first jab before me, but hasn't had any contact. We've both just decided it's not worth the hassle of trying to change.

Jenny C 24 May 2021
In reply to cathsullivan:

Yes not being able to confirm a new appointment before cancelling the original is going to be a big issue for many working people. I can't see my husband giving up his Saturday slot, it's not local but worth the drive to avoid having to take a full day of work.

cathsullivan 24 May 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

Exactly - or more than one day if you get side effects. If there were compelling evidence that it was medically advantageous in a big way, I'd tell my employer to suck it up.  But I'm just not convinced.

Post edited at 11:55
OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 May 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

Just managed to bring our 2nd jabs forward by 10 days - rang 119 (quite a long wait) and the lady said she would need to cancel the old appointment - but also that there was plenty of availability - so job done

Chris

Si dH 24 May 2021

The 8 weeks change is definitely not about improving long term innoculation. It's all about getting as many vulnerable people to a time three weeks post their second jab as soon as possible in case a big third wave kicks off. You are trading off (possibly a bit of) long term protection for getting a big boost to your protection in the near future for a few weeks, by having the second jab earlier. However if your current appointment is only a week and a half away, I can't see that it will be able to move much anyway.

Post edited at 12:39

> I thought the evidence was suggesting, in some cases, that delaying slightly longer than 12 weeks gave better protection.  The cynical part of me thinks they are just trying to ensure that they can quote a high percentage of people having had two jabs in time for 21st June.

My understanding is that longer interval results in better protection, but the shorter interval reduces transmission. They seem to be going for reduced transmission, which isnt unreasonable.

Post edited at 13:27
 cathsullivan 24 May 2021

> My understanding is that longer interval results in better protection, but the shorter interval reduces transmission. They seem to be going for reduced transmission, which isnt unreasonable.

That doesn't seem unreasonable, no.  I am generally (rightly or wrongly) more concerned about the possibility of spreading it to others who are  more vulnerable than about catching it myself. Still not sure I want to risk cancelling the appointment I have though.

neilh 24 May 2021

Just cancel existing one and rebook.

My wife brought forward hers there's this way.

steveriley 24 May 2021

I got a text saying you can book sooner but the problem is you have to cancel your existing appt first, as above. It was faffy getting two appointments 2.5 months ago. It doesn't seem to reserve the slots for X minutes like a holiday or basket would, so by the time I'd completed the form my slots had gone. You can't browse availability without cancelling so I'm sitting tight, next one's not far off.

gravy 24 May 2021
In reply to steveriley:

So based on my experience:

If you have your appointments were arrange through swiftqueue resign yourself to it not working, abandon it and follow the alternative route which is:

Google "2nd covid vaccine" to find:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/...

and simply book your vaccine.  Then cancel the swiftqueue one if you have it. Once you abandon the disfunctional swiftqueue everything works as you'd hope.

In reply to gravy:

Just cancelled my 2nd jab for 6/6 and rebooked for 27/5.  Took a few mins max.

Tony & Sarah 24 May 2021

Hi Chris Sarah and I have just received our 2nd jab at the Sheffield Arena. Booked yesterday there was lots of appointments available. 

T&S

In reply to gravy:

> and simply book your vaccine.  Then cancel the swiftqueue one if you have it

My initial booking was through the national service you linked to. You can't book a new one without cancelling the existing one. Given the reports of difficulties people are having, I'm not risking it. It's a crazy situation; you should be able to book a new appointment, and then have it automatically cancel the old. It's pathetic.

I have just cancelled and re-booked.  There seemed to be much more availability than when I originally booked.  I was a bit nervous about cancelling before re-booking and left them exactly that feedback. It should be simple enough to sort as you will have logged in via your existing booking.

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 May 2021
In reply to Tony & Sarah:

> Hi Chris Sarah and I have just received our 2nd jab at the Sheffield Arena. Booked yesterday there was lots of appointments available. 

> T&S

Thanks for that, just booked for Hathersage tomorrow

Chris

In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

As I said, I have seen too many reports of booking difficulties, depending on geographical location. There is no way to know in advance what the local situation will be.

It's an utterly ridiculous system. I can only think that they really do not want people changing their appointments. Even though they are now trying to encourage us to do just that...

OP Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 May 2021

> Thanks for that, just booked for Hathersage tomorrow

> Chris

Got there a little early - following the signs - to find it all shut up. Quite a few other folks wandering around looking lost. About 5 mins after the Appointment time I got a message saying it was cancelled - uselss! Immediatly rebooked for Chesterfield tomorrow

Chris

Martin W 25 May 2021

> HM Gov announced about 10 days ago they were bringing forward the 2nd jab for over 50s because of the Indian VOC.

I think that was only for England.  Up here north of the border this 61-year old has an appointment for the second jab - 13 weeks after my first one.

As for re-booking, the system they're using up here won't now accept the password I originally registered with, and if I request a password change it hangs telling me that my account is locked when I click on the link in the e-mail it sends me.  The folks on the end of the phone number they publish for booking/arranging appointments say they've had a number of similar complaints about the system but (a) they don't do tech support (which is fair enough), and (b) they don't have any contact details for the people who do do tech support (which is less helpful, though not their fault).

The NHS authority area I reside in has the worse rollout coverage in Scotland.  I wonder why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...