Seaspiracy (Netflix)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnV 01 Apr 2021

Who has watched this? What are your thoughts?

Blue Straggler 01 Apr 2021
In reply to JohnV:

I haven’t but I’ve seen a lot of negativity toward it from several trusted acquaintances who are genuine environmental and vegan activists. I am no activist and not even vegetarian, btw! 

Donotello 02 Apr 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Definitely watch it before sharing negative views. 

I have seen it and can’t see how anyone would have any negative thoughts on it, that doesn’t really make sense. 

In response to the OP, definitely eye opening, especially about the fraud of Dolphin Friendly labelling. 

In reply to JohnV:

I tried to watch it the other night there and turned it off about 20 minutes in.

There's too much tie in with the film maker himself and his path to discovering all the crap that is going on in our oceans. What he was discovering was nothing new and these issues have been reported many times before. I remember watching a panorama program on the tuna fishing industry about a decade ago that covered much of what seaspiracy covered.

There were 1 or 2 interviews that were just ridiculous. All you got was a snippet of a very loaded question then the person refusing to answer. At the start he calls a chip shop or something on the south coast, and as soon as the person picks up he opens with "will you change all your packaging please because its killing the turtles" (it was something like that - watch it yourself to see). Its just not the way to get people to engage. Its shock tactics shit for a movie. Boring and a waste of time.

I could go on but much of it is hard to convey so its worth watching for yourself and forming you own opinion. 

On one level you can compare this with films such as "An Inconvenient Truth". Its managed to reach a global audience on an important issue. An Inconvenient Truth though seemed way more focused on facts and what the world can do to correct. Seaspiracy was more Holywood style documentary following the filmmaker. I found it harder to believe some parts and I found the guy annoying.

Jack B 02 Apr 2021
In reply to JohnV:

I haven't watched it, but picking that title when conspira-sea was available doesn't make a great first impression.

Edit: I googled conspirasea to see if that was already taken, and it seems like half the internet has already made this observation.  Too slow...

Post edited at 10:43
 jethro kiernan 02 Apr 2021
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Much like yourself I turned it off at the call your chip shop call, I do find the negativity towards millennials really annoying so I found this a bit annoying when the narrator seemed to be going out of his way to conform to those negative stereotypes.

I maybe should have stuck it out but it didn’t seem to be telling me anything I didn’t know already and wasn’t presenting the bigger picture in a way that got to me.

Myr 02 Apr 2021
In reply to JohnV:

This documentary covers a lot of ground covered by previous documentaries, and there are some pretty lame 'gotcha' moments. It helps if you think of it as being mostly targeted at people who are new to the area and haven't changed their behaviour yet. But there was enough novel info in there for me that it was definitely worth a watch.

It really brought home to me how indefensible it is to eat trawled fish, regardless of 'sustainability' labels.

I hadn't quite realised how large a proportion of the plastic in our seas is just from the fishing industry, and is thus sustained by our eating habits rather than just our efforts to tackle plastic usage on land.

I also didn't know quite how much wild fish is purely landed for feeding farmed fish. The 'Inside Scottish Salmon Feedlots' FB page is very interesting if you want to see the full horrors of the fish farming industry.

oldbloke 02 Apr 2021
In reply to Myr:

The farmed salmon segment was inaccurate in a number of ways and those opposed to the industry have form for being unconcerned with accuracy.  Most of the farmed salmon diet is from non-fish sources and much of the fish component used is by-product - such as the trimmings left after taking the bits humans eat - or from managed sources, often with quotas.

If you're worried about where fish goes, have a look at how much ends up in fertiliser and pet food.

Timmd 03 Apr 2021
In reply to oldbloke: Are you saying that there aren't valid grounds for having problems with Scottish farmed salmon?

PaulJepson 03 Apr 2021
In reply to JohnV:

It is way too much of a direct rip of the Cowspiracy/What the Health films, even if you ignore the name. Followed their narratives almost exactly,  only the guy making the doc was a lot less competent. I'd had enough by the 'shock revelations' about the dolphin safe label companies being funded by the fishing industry, as it was borderline copyright infringement. 

The Faroe Isles slaughter has already been covered by even the dregs of uk tabloid media, everyone knows Japan is breaking the whaling rules, the Thai shrimp slavery was well covered years ago when it turned out Tesco was selling the product, and no shit the food labelling industry is corrupt. 

It struck me as lazy, bandwagon journalism with very little planning or research behind it.

Maggot 03 Apr 2021
In reply to JohnV:

I'm going to have to watch this now so as to have a benchmark for shitness, judging by the various posts so far

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...