SD card for GoPro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 supersteve 30 May 2020

Found my old Go pro a few days ago and decided to try it on a ride today. Turned it on, rode for less than 3 minutes before it beeped at me, to let me know the SD card was full. When I got home I removed the card to find it is only 128MB.

For those of you who use GoPro's, what size SD should I get and what resolution should I use on the camera? For general activities such as kayaking, mountain biking or climbing. 

Any advice appreciated. 

balmybaldwin 30 May 2020
In reply to supersteve:

Depends how old your old Go pro is. Generally though I run 32 Gb U3 cards in my session 5. Make sure you get a genuine card. the knockoffs seem to start corrupting much quicker.

LastBoyScout 30 May 2020
In reply to supersteve:

I've got 4x 64Gb SanDisk Extreme cards and swap when full - I figure if one goes pop, I won't have lost everything.

The Lemming 31 May 2020
In reply to supersteve:

I remember when I got my first 128mb compact flash card for my Nikon Coolpix 885 camera.

It was in excess of £100 and I though this would do me for ever.

Today my digital camera has two slots with to 128Gb cards with write speeds of 200mbps.

What will kit need in 5 years time?

I'm guessing SSD or Nvme drives because SD cards are getting too expensive for their limited storage size.

As for the GoPro, what bit rate does it record at?

This will give you an idea of what card you need.

BTW still got my Coolpix 885 camera. 

Dax H 31 May 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> I remember when I got my first 128mb compact flash card for my Nikon Coolpix 885 camera.

> It was in excess of £100 and I though this would do me for ever.

> Today my digital camera has two slots with to 128Gb cards with write speeds of 200mbps.

My first digital camera was a Canon something, it had an 8mb compact flash card and could take 20 photos at full quality. I spent £90 on a 16 Meg card then a few months later £90 on a 32 Meg card and maybe 6months later about the same price on a 64 Meg card.

20 years later £80 gets you a 512gb sd card that's the size of a fingernail. It's crazy how much things have changed. 

BnB 31 May 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> My first digital camera was a Canon something, it had an 8mb compact flash card and could take 20 photos at full quality. I spent £90 on a 16 Meg card then a few months later £90 on a 32 Meg card and maybe 6months later about the same price on a 64 Meg card.

> 20 years later £80 gets you a 512gb sd card that's the size of a fingernail. It's crazy how much things have changed. 

Honestly Dax. You’d have thought after Covid that we’d all got the hang of exponential growth.

Dax H 31 May 2020
In reply to BnB:

LOL, if covid grows like storage we are all screwed. 

What really gets me though is the physical size, sometime in the late 80's I fit a 512k expansion card to my Commadore Amiga 500. The card was about 5 inch long by 2.5 inch wide, 30 years later we are putting a terabyte on to a micro sd card that is the size of a fingernail.

I work in engineering and have a understanding of these things but being able to produce things so small boggles my mind. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...