Scottish travel 'rules' changing to council area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 skog 30 Oct 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54734389

Those of us in tier three are to be asked to stay within our own council area - rather than health board area, as it is just now.

That's quite a lot more restrictive.

I'm lucky that Stirling's quite good - although I'll lose much of the Ochils if I stick to it (which I pretty much will - I won't drive or walk into/through any towns outside my area for leisure; I'm not going to worry about whether a particular hill is in or out of the area as long as I can get to it within the rules.) I work in two different council areas from where I live, though.

It's going to be really hard on people in a lot of council areas.

Graeme G 30 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

> It's going to be really hard on people in a lot of council areas.

Particularly if you look at the predictions for 8/11. It’ll be interesting to see if it works.

Si dH 30 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

I'm not Scottish but from skim reading the Scottish restrictions at various Levels the other day, I thought the travel restrictions all included a specific exemption now for outdoor exercise?

Post edited at 13:38
In reply to skog:

The BBC article says essential reasons:

"include work, education, *outdoor exercise*, healthcare or caring responsibilities, and essential shopping."

It also says they aren't being put into law.   She's saying if people don't follow travel restrictions then local lockdowns can't work and a national lockdown will probably be needed.

OP skog 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Si dH and tom_in_edinburgh:

Wow, I hadn't heard that and totally missed it in the article.

At face value, that's great news!

rogerwebb 30 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

> Wow, I hadn't heard that and totally missed it in the article.

> At face value, that's great news!

Might not be;

From the Scottish Government website'

'no non-essential travel into or out of the level 3 area' ( level 1 & 2 basically say don't go into a 3 or 4 area)

'exemptions for essential travel for work, education, shopping health etc; outdoor exercise; weddings and funerals; shared parenting, and transit through restricted areas'

Does essential in the second paragraph apply to outdoor exercise or does it only refer to work, education, health etc?

Post edited at 14:43
OP skog 30 Oct 2020
In reply to rogerwebb:

I'd like it clarified (and I'm surprised this is the first I've heard about it), but the semicolons do suggest the exemptions are for

- essential travel for work, education, shopping, health (and 'etc'!)

- outdoor exercise

- weddings and funerals

- shared parenting

- transit through restricted areas

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/pa...

If that's the case I'll still be staying out of towns and shops in the Highlands, but day trips (or camping/bivvying), to a hill or crag within return-trip range on a full tank, become possible. And that could make the difference between a crappy winter and a good one.

Post edited at 14:54
Removed User 30 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

Yes, looking at the numbers things are taking a long time to turn around. In Edinburgh numbers still seem to be rising linearly and have been for over a month.

It could be a long winter.

In reply to Removed User:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1322180973300240388/photo/1

Looking at that graph it is fairly obvious where the Scottish Government are coming from.  They've flattened off the second wave with the current restrictions and they need to tweak the restrictions to be a little bit harder to get it coming down. 

rogerwebb 30 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

There is many a case that turned on a comma or semicolon! Could be intentional could be poor drafting. Having heard the First Minister's speech I think it may be the latter. 

Flinticus 30 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

Yeah, we're all so familiar with our council area...is there a painted line or does some klaxon sound if I step outside my council area?

Graeme G 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

> Yeah, we're all so familiar with our council area...is there a painted line or does some klaxon sound if I step outside my council area?

I tend to find the big road signs telling me when I’ve entered a different council helpful.

Fat Bumbly2 30 Oct 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I have to travel to a virus factory in another, hill rich local authority area. Going to enjoy some head torch action after work. At least then I will be unable to infect or be infected unlike actually being at work.  

Fractral 30 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

That's good news, I'd seen the exemption for outdoor exercise and was cautiously optimistic that visits to some hills might be on the cards. Definitely it would help to see some clarification, hopefully there's some next week. (No way I'm heading to the highlands this weekend given the deeply unpleasant forecast)

Now we just need to persuade them to move Loanhead (for Eden Rock) and the Pentlands into the city of Edinburgh council area.

Robert Durran 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Fractral:

> Now we just need to persuade them to move Loanhead (for Eden Rock) and the Pentlands into the city of Edinburgh council area.

That's a bit greedy when you already have Arthur's Seat and Alien Rock.

Le Sapeur 30 Oct 2020
In reply to skog:

I can go to the Plockton Inn for beers on Monday evening!

OP skog 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Slainte!

In theory, I can fill the tank and drive conservatively, then go up Creag nan Garadh and look on in mild jealousy while you drink, before heading home - stopping briefly for a spot of essential etc-ing on the way.

In reply to skog:

My other half picked up the change to 'Council' area. If this restriction does apply to 'essential exercise' because I stay in Stirling I have a good range but my trips to Dollar and Queensferry for photographic walks earlier this week are now out of bounds. I feel sorry for Clackmannan residents who are very restricted being such a small area.

In reply to skog:

I thought Nicola’s initial speech yesterday made it clear that that travel to an different area for outdoor exercise was permitted. However, later in the day she added to the effect if it was necessary and you couldn’t do that exercise otherwise where you were.

Today Professor Jason Leitch was responding to a question about travel to another area for golf and said clearly that it was not permitted! 

I’m now confused what is really meant!!

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> I thought Nicola’s initial speech yesterday made it clear that that travel to an different area for outdoor exercise was permitted. However, later in the day she added to the effect if it was necessary and you couldn’t do that exercise otherwise where you were.

> Today Professor Jason Leitch was responding to a question about travel to another area for golf and said clearly that it was not permitted! 

No doubt people will interpret as it suits them. If you want to exercise by climbing in the Cuillin, it is, after all, essential to travel to Skye.......

In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> My other half picked up the change to 'Council' area. If this restriction does apply to 'essential exercise' because I stay in Stirling I have a good range but my trips to Dollar and Queensferry for photographic walks earlier this week are now out of bounds. I feel sorry for Clackmannan residents who are very restricted being such a small area.

At least Clakmannanshire has the best of the Ochils. I work in Clackmannanshire but live in Perth and Kinross (thank goodness!). I shall certainly continue with negligible risk after work walks in the Ochils, but am glad I can still head off north at weekends since I live in level 2.

In reply to Robert Durran:

I expect Mr H to come on soon with a definitive analysis of what it means - I think he lives in Clacks.

I saw that golf question today and noted that it referred to travel between level 3 & 2 area so is that the reason he said No? I used to understand all this but I am now a little confused.

alan moore 30 Oct 2020

I live and work in Clacks but if I stick my arm out of the window it'll probably be in another county.

Today I went to work, took schoolkids outdoor learning, did the shopping and went to the local pet shop. This short journey involved going through 4 different counties. 5 if you count Perth and Kinross as such.

Post edited at 21:03

Could be. Nicola yesterday I thought was talking about tier 2 resident going to tier 3 for outdoor exercise was deemed acceptable (though she seemed to back track a bit later in the day (if I picked her up correctly) by adding if necessary and couldn’t be done in local area. Either way though if it’s outdoors exercise, no contact with others, I’m struggling to see the difference (assuming your not going indoors for food, fuel or whatever). Transit through a tier 3 area is permitted and no mention of not stopping for fuel etc, though that would be sensible.

Hopefully further guidance/clarification will be coming soon.

In reply to alan moore:

> ......went to the local pet shop. 

Have you acquired a pet?

alan moore 30 Oct 2020

Bearded Dragon...likes locusts from Sprinkerse...

Martin W 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Fractral:

> Now we just need to persuade them to move Loanhead (for Eden Rock) and the Pentlands into the city of Edinburgh council area.

The northern flank of the ridge from Caerketton to Allermuir is within the CEC boundary, as is most of Capelaw.  From there the CEC boundary runs pretty much directly SW to East Cairn Hill, then by a wiggly route north to Kirknewton airfield on the A70.  So a fair chunk of the Pentland Hills Regional Park lies within the CEC boundary, though admittedly not the very hilliest bits.  (Although I have seen it suggested that the road up from Threipmuir to Bavelaw Castle reaches the highest altitude of any bit of tarmac within the CEC area.)

Oh, and Ratho is within the CEC boundary as well.

Post edited at 23:06
 Martin W 30 Oct 2020

> I thought Nicola’s initial speech yesterday made it clear that that travel to an different area for outdoor exercise was permitted. However, later in the day she added to the effect if it was necessary and you couldn’t do that exercise otherwise where you were.

> Today Professor Jason Leitch was responding to a question about travel to another area for golf and said clearly that it was not permitted! 

> I’m now confused what is really meant!!

This is what I find really annoying.  Are we really supposed to hang on every word uttered by these people - many of which I suspect are extemporised answers to questions about which the respondent had no prior notice?  Especially given that the answers so often seem to be contradictory or at least clarify nothing.  They have a web site, they can put the information on there.  Ooh look, they have...  It's just a pity that much of it seems to have been written by eleven year-olds and proofread by gibbons, and has not been updated on the basis of the subsequent supposed clarifications.

Is it really too much to expect clear and unambiguous communication in matters of such importance  from people (politicians and their servants in government) for whose job the ability to convey information effectively ought to be a key requirement?

Tom Valentine 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Martin W:

Yes, on the face of it, the Irish 5k rule seems much easier to follow.

Flinticus 31 Oct 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Not evident on all roads in Glasgow busy with signage of all sorts. I cannot say if I've ever noticed one driving to Mugdoch Country Park or Neilston Quarry. Or on crossing the foot bridge in Linn Park

Perhaps it's easier on  rural roads where a sign is an event. 

Robert Durran 31 Oct 2020
In reply to alan moore:

> Bearded Dragon...likes locusts from Sprinkerse...

Are locusts essential food shopping unavailable in Clackmannanshire?

Graeme G 31 Oct 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Probably. In all fairness, I was trying to be funny 😂 

alan moore 31 Oct 2020

> Are locusts essential food shopping unavailable in Clackmannanshire?

That’s a good question.

In reply to Flinticus:

> Yeah, we're all so familiar with our council area.

Probably better signposted than your local health board area...

Robert Durran 04 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

So travel restrictions may be legally enforced if the weegies don't behave themselves this weekend

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-54814604

Post edited at 22:17
 Graeme G 04 Nov 2020

> So travel restrictions may be legally enforced if the weegies don't behave themselves this weekend

I think that also applies to non-weegies travelling into level 3 zones? But I understood your point.

Fat Bumbly2 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

Easier to check the Arrochar car park than Braehead... but then again you already get fined at Arrochar.

OP skog 05 Nov 2020

I wonder how that would work, sounds a nightmare to enforce.

I travel between tier three areas for work, would I need papers of some sort?

Robert Durran 05 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

> I wonder how that would work, sounds a nightmare to enforce.

Very hard to enforce, but more people would comply if the restrictions were legally binding rather than non-mandatory or advisable - you only have to look at discussions on here to see how many people justify their journeys by pointing out that they are not actually illegal.

The fact is that the regional tier system can only work if there are measures to stop the virus being transported between regions.

> I travel between tier three areas for work, would I need papers of some sort?

I travel from tier 2 to tier 3 for work. Very happy not to live in tier 3 and I want it to stay that way.

Edit: But what would personally make the most difference to me would be Edinburgh getting out of tier 3 so that I can go to Ratho again! So behave yourselves in Edinburgh ....

Post edited at 07:52

Having now seen the gov published guidance and the BBC comments on local authority area, I’m still not clear on travel for exercise! I’m trying to stick to the rules and not looking to find excuses.

Outdoor exercise is allowed, but the 5 miles from your LAA is mentioned. Is that only to a different tier area or will it be to a different same tier area?; also whether I can travel from a T2 to another T2 area (more than 5 miles) for outdoor exercise, with or without transit through a T3?

Post edited at 08:05
In reply to skog:

I listen to 'Off the Ball' on Radio Scotland (It is an acquired taste!) and they have the government advisor - Prof Jason Leitch - on every week at the moment. He answers a wide range of listeners questions honestly & clearly. It might be worth a question to him about travelling between areas for exercise.

StuPoo2 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

> Not evident on all roads in Glasgow busy with signage of all sorts. I cannot say if I've ever noticed one driving to Mugdoch Country Park ...

Definitely there for Mugdock .. even the back road in has one.  

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9631959,-4.2940978,3a,75y,293.1h,91.61t/d...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.9631982,-4.3426647,3a,75y,99.84h,81.59t/d...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.96029,-4.3150541,3a,75y,66.02h,90.46t/dat...

mal_meech 05 Nov 2020

Mountaineering Scotland is consulting with the government and should have clear guidance updated today:

https://www.mountaineering.scot/coronavirus

In reply to mal_meech:

Thanks. I’ll check that link for updated guidance later.

> Having now seen the gov published guidance and the BBC comments on local authority area, I’m still not clear on travel for exercise! I’m trying to stick to the rules and not looking to find excuses.

I think it's all pretty clear here:  https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-a...

climbercool 05 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

why does it help to stop people moving across districts or council areas or even across the entire country?  Ppeople need to social distance right now  but i dont see why it matters if people travel, only possible reason i can think of is that it makes contact tracing easier.

OP skog 05 Nov 2020
In reply to climbercool:

It stops people seeding infections in areas that don't currently have them, making it harder for the virus to get fresh populations to rip through.

In reply to climbercool:

>  why does it help to stop people moving across districts or council areas or even across the entire country?  Ppeople need to social distance right now  but i dont see why it matters if people travel, only possible reason i can think of is that it makes contact tracing easier.

Most people interact with other people when they travel to another area. Hillwalkers and climbers are pretty unusual in that they are quite able and happy not to do so. It would be unrealistic to expect exemptions - people complain the rules are not simple enough as it is. Tough, unfortunately.

OP skog 05 Nov 2020

Cheers for linking that, it does seem much clearer now.

So we should all avoid travelling to an area where the risk is higher (tier 3 or 4), and if we're in a tier 3 or 4 area we should not travel out of it apart from for a fairly clear list of exceptions, the relevant one being:

travel locally (within around 5 miles of your local authority area) to reach a place to take exercise outdoors

It looks like it's fine to go up to 5 miles beyond the edge of your council area to go hillwalking, but not further; decency would suggest that we should avoid towns and shops while doing so. So for the Stirling area, I'm probably fine to head to the Bridge of Orchy Hills, or even Victoria Bridge, but not Glencoe. Ben Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin, Meall nan Tarmachan and many of the Ben Lawers hills are OK, but not from Glen Lyon; I can head up the Crianlarich hills, but if I wanted Beinn Chabhair I'd have to do it from Balquhidder Glen not Inverarnan. And I get most of the 'Cleuch' section of the Ochils back.

That's pretty much what I was going to set as my personal limits anyway (a little more generous, in fact).

It's pretty harsh if you live in Falkirk, though.

OP skog 05 Nov 2020

Having had a chance to look at a map properly, Stirling residency allows up to about the Bridge of Orchy Hotel, but not Victoria Bridge - but Inverarnan is acually in Stirling council area, so that adds the Loch Lomond Ben Vorlich (from the north or east only).

graeme jackson 05 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

> It's pretty harsh if you live in Falkirk.

I don't believe that has anything to do with Covid.

I'm just in South Lanarkshire.  My lunchtime walk through the woods can take me into west lothian if I turn left instead of right at one point. Will Nicola's stazi be lying in wait to take me out if I get it wrong?

OP skog 05 Nov 2020
In reply to graeme jackson:

Fairly good going if you've gone wrong by over five miles on your lunchtime walk, but even then, I don't imagine so - comrades are permitted that much leeway to travel "to reach a place to take exercise outdoors", so as long as you're wearing your union jack undies beneath your trousers we won't know to act.

> I'm just in South Lanarkshire.  My lunchtime walk through the woods can take me into west lothian if I turn left instead of right at one point. Will Nicola's stazi be lying in wait to take me out if I get it wrong?

No.

Lrunner 05 Nov 2020

Given that the Police in Scotland have no power to "stop and account" in I wouldn't worry. If it becomes law you couldn't Police it with out a huge change in the philosophy of law enforcement in Scotland. I can't see that happening. 

You might get pulled over as there is always grounds for that but you'll have no requirement to tell the Police where you are going. 

You can't Police your way out of this. You just have to hope people make good decisions.

LRunner

climbercool 05 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

Actually i think quite the opposite, first of all, every area of the U.K currently has some level of Covid, but if there was a choice between infecting a person in a high tier area or a low tier area it would actually be better that you infect somebody in a low tier area for two reasons.  Firstly low tier areas are unlikely to have shortage of medical care but more importantly tier 3 areas are tier 3 because everybody there is useless at social distancing therefore if I infect somebody in a tier 3 area they are likely to infect more people than if I infect somebody in a tier 1 area.

Your example of a fresh population to rip through would only make sense if we had some areas that had already achieved herd immunity, but we havent, the virus seems quite capable of ripping through all parts of the population at the moment.

climbercool 05 Nov 2020

why are you more likely to mix with other people if you travel a long way rather than if you travel a short distance, i would have guessed the opposite.  Anyway the point is the rules should be about mixing with other people not traveling,

In reply to climbercool:

> why are you more likely to mix with other people if you travel a long way rather than if you travel a short distance, i would have guessed the opposite. 

More likely to need to resupply at shops, need cafes etc.

> Anyway the point is the rules should be about mixing with other people not traveling.;

And to keep areas with low infection rates that way, so that they can continue in lower tiers with fewer restrictions on people and less economic disruption. That is the idea of the tier system.

French Erick 05 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

Never been happier living in the Highlands. 

This was a choice made towards cutting the amount of travelling to/from areas I practiced my activities in and a nicer environment for my kids to grow up in.

It came at a cost: less professional opportunities, less cultural events easily accessible. 

Even before Covid, I never looked back. Now, I am doubly sure I made the correct choice.

Perhaps in future we should abandon the central belt and repopulate emptier spaces: pros- less clusters for viruses to thrive in. Cons- less work/entertainment/quieter places being sieged by townies

A sort of De-clearances.

Lrunner 05 Nov 2020
In reply to French Erick:

me too. I'm sadly leaving in Jan and its breaking my heart to be honest. 

During covid its been paradise. 

OP skog 05 Nov 2020
In reply to climbercool:

No, any existing degree of immunity makes it harder for the disease to spread, it isn't an all or nothing thing. And it's about the web it spreads out in - if you might infect two people, and each of them might infect two, and each of them two and so on, if you restrict movement to keep people local, the same people will start popping up in different branches of the 'tree', meaning you're actually infecting fewer people - or at least, fewer that wouldn't have been infected anyway by someone else around you. People live in bubbles, and the less connected those bubbles are the harder it is for disease to spread between them.

And you'd also still be contaminating an area that was previously fairly safe, with potential consequences for the tier they're in.

OP skog 05 Nov 2020
In reply to French Erick:

Great stuff - yeah, I've often considered moving back to Inverness or thereabouts.

But I've come to realise how much I like Stirling - it's easy to get to most of the Highlands, and feasible to get anywhere in them for a weekend (or even a day trip if you're really keen) - but there's also Northumberland and the Lakes in day trip range, the facilities - and jobs - of the Central Belt, and even three handy airports (four if you include Newcastle). Plus Stirling itself is generally pretty good.

But it would be wonderful to be closer to the North West. And in the current situation, actually living in the Highlands would be amazing.

And a partial repopulation, with a bit of careful, distributed development, could be a great thing, providing some quality lower-density living and also improving the infrastructure and facilities that are bursting at the seams with the new surge of visitors.

climbercool 06 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

>  if you restrict movement to keep people local, the same people will start popping up in different branches of the 'tree', meaning you're actually infecting fewer people - or at least, fewer that wouldn't have been infected anyway by someone else around you. People live in bubbles, and the less connected those bubbles are the harder it is for disease to spread between them.

thanks for that, this makes sense, now i can see that your more likely to see the same person twice if you stay local and you cant infect somebody twice.

> And you'd also still be contaminating an area that was previously fairly safe, with potential consequences for the tier they're in.

Again though, this isnt worse than infecting somebody who was previously in a fairly high risk area, it means that high risk area will just become even more high risk.  Everyone agrees its about keeping numbers low  and manageable so that track and trace can work and so can health care but at the same time people think its worse if you infect somebody in a low prevalence area than if you infect somebody in a high risk area.

climbercool 06 Nov 2020

> More likely to need to resupply at shops, need cafes etc.

This is why we need better access to stats which show how the majority of people are infected. My guess would be that it is most difficult for people to socially distance when they are among friends and family, it will just feel much more awkward and people will give in, whereas if you travel away to where everyone is a stranger social distancing can feel very natural.

OP skog 06 Nov 2020
In reply to climbercool:

> Again though, this isnt worse than infecting somebody who was previously in a fairly high risk area, it means that high risk area will just become even more high risk.  Everyone agrees its about keeping numbers low  and manageable so that track and trace can work and so can health care but at the same time people think its worse if you infect somebody in a low prevalence area than if you infect somebody in a high risk area.

With this, it can be worse - as it can result in a low risk area having to implement restrictions they otherwise wouldn't have, with the resulting insdividual, social and economic damage. I see what you're saying that from a health point of view someone ill in a lower prevalence area is less of a problem, though.

graeme jackson 06 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

> Fairly good going if you've gone wrong by over five miles on your lunchtime walk, but even then, I don't imagine so 

Not sure I understand that. I'm only around half a mile from the border but not supposed to cross it under current rules even though my nearest shops are in that direction. 

Naechi 06 Nov 2020

"travel locally (within around 5 miles of your local authority area) to reach a place to take exercise outdoors"

OP skog 06 Nov 2020

It's simply that the rules are different for travelling for, and taking, outdoor exercise, than they are for doing your shopping.

You're allowed to walk (or cycle, or even drive) a little bit into a neighbouring council area both to get there for outdoor exercise, and walk (or cycle) from there, in a neighbouring council area during the course of that exercise.

I presume it's because outdoor exercise is both very important for physical and mental health, and very low risk for spreading covid.

Edit - just looking out of curiosity, were someone so inclined they could, within the rules and probably harmlessly, do a circular walk in the Pentlands based around Carlops and the hills west and north of it, taking in the edges of the four council areas of Midlothian, Edinburgh, West Lothian and Borders - as long as they lived in one of those.

Post edited at 11:33
 graeme jackson 06 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

Thanks for that. I had believed I wasn't allowed out of lanarkshire at all. 

OP skog 06 Nov 2020

When it was first announced, the advice seemed really badly drafted and unclear, it was really hard to work out what we were allowed to do.

They seem to have gone back and done it properly, though - as linked by Robert Durran above, and I think it's actually pretty good now:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-travel-a...

It's a huge relief to me that they've finally given proper consideration to outdoor exercise other than just pacing the streets by your home, and given a wee bit of leeway around it.

Post edited at 11:53
 Fat Bumbly2 08 Nov 2020
In reply to skog:

It makes a difference. Not having to worry about an imaginary line across the Lammermuirs adds a lot to the enjoyment of a day out. I even met someone up there yesterday. For the past 20 years it has felt like my own range of hills. Not the best hillwalking but awesome on a bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...