Scottish munros in November

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 17 Oct 2021

The recent trend multiple new accounts from one supposed poster has made me suspicious now of people and their motivations sometimes. 

I have noticed 3 posts in the last few days looking for advice about Munros in Scotland in November. I thought it an odd trend and so looked at their profiles and sure enough they are all newly created, first time posters. 

Why? What is this *presumably* one person posting from various accounts hoping to achieve? Nothing they are asking seems to be pushing an agenda etc as they other accounts do. Is it to build credibility for future malicious purposes?

Have I just become too suspicious?

DaveHK 17 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Nowt as queer as folk.

veteye 17 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

They obviously, like you, have too much time on their hands, and spend ages on this forum site, and just want to have the feedback to feed their need for approbation... 

:-}

Tringa 17 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I thought the same after seeing a couple of very similar posts.

Dave

wintertree 17 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

One (edit: presumably one...) of the people playing silly buggers has been using what seem like fake "lost and found" and "starting out" posts to establish several "minimum viable profiles", sometimes augmented with a ripped off profile photo, before going on to post some American sounding, agenda driven prose about Covid.  

It's really toxic at the point it crosses over in to the climbing or walking related topics. Still, the starting out posts got a lot of great replies, even if the OP was the usual whatever-the-fudge-they-are.  Taking the piss on lost and found in particular seems poor.

> Why? What is this *presumably* one person posting from various accounts hoping to achieve?

This week we have a brand new poster advocating for private healthcare as a solution to the stress the NHS is currently under.

> Have I just become too suspicious?

Is your first thought "Are you Rom?" when you see a cat emerge from the shadows?

Post edited at 10:03
 kinley2 17 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

There's a couple on another website that are similar, now you mention it.

Perhaps someone is doing an audit of how much inappropriate advice they can get across social media.

mountainbagger 17 Oct 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

At least one could be genuine. A lot of people have been introduced to the idea of uk-based trips over the last 18 months and this is a good site to ask questions. I'm waiting to see if the OP returns to ask further questions or to say thanks before judging. I think it's reasonable for a new user to post a question and not return for a few days. I'm on here more frequently because of the amount of topics I'm interested in having been here for a while but someone else might reasonably assume the response won't be instant and will wait a few days before checking again.

Of course, you may be right and sometimes the phrasing style of these "seed" posts give them away. And not returning to the thread. Or not expressing gratitude. Or not coming back after said trip and telling us about it.

Conclusion : I share your skepticism but don't want my contribution to those genuinely interested to be spoilt by bad actors.

Tringa 19 Oct 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

Does the format of the initial post on this thread on WalkHighlands look familiar?

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108888

Dave

Post edited at 17:03
 mountainbagger 19 Oct 2021
In reply to Tringa:

> Does the format of the initial post on this thread on WalkHighlands look familiar?

> Dave

Yes, though they could be asking the same question on multiple sites. But they haven't come back to reply, so I'm suspicious now!

Also, their username veritasetfalsitas (truth and lies) is highly suspect!

Michael Hood 19 Oct 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

Apart from which it's a bit of an inane question - if you're experienced enough to judge conditions on the Ben in November for yourself (weather, ground conditions, necessary equipment, etc) - which is implied in the "info" supplied with the question, then you should be able to determine the suitability for your child (very unlikely for a child of that age unless perfect conditions and settled weather IMO)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...