Scam Calls - Who Is Behind Them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chopper 04 Nov 2020

My post elsewhere about scam calls got me thinking.

I can't believe that they're ALL (maybe some) are made by a nerdy geek from his bedroom. Given the scale on which they appear would I be right in assuming that behind each scam call is a big organised crime set up, maybe the Mafia? Or even a terrorist group?

Post edited at 18:20
 mondite 04 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

Depends on the exact type but most of them are less mafia and more just a standard job for most of the people by all accounts. Set up like other contract call centres but just with a slightly different target market.

This is an account of some in India.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jan/02/the-scammers-gaming-indias-ove...

ThunderCat 04 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

The voice mail messages in Chinese with a gentle tune in the background have died off now, but were a bit irritating.  I don't speak Chinese, and my only Chinese speaking mate is back living in Hong Kong, so I've got no way of knowing what they were about.

aln 04 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

I had a Chinese speaking call yesterday. No music though. 

crustypunkuk 04 Nov 2020
In reply to aln:

Me too. Never had that particular type of call before and I'd admit to being somewhat confused. I was thinking it might've been a Manchurian Candidate style activation message.

Post edited at 22:01
In reply to Chopper:

Ive had 6 on my landline in the last two days alone. All sounded Indian or similar.

Post edited at 21:35
 SFM 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

I had one yesterday in a “Texas Instruments” accent about my BT line(which I don’t have). It was basically inviting me to press numbers on my phone, presumably to charge me premium rates. 

Toerag 05 Nov 2020
In reply to SFM:

> I had one yesterday in a “Texas Instruments” accent about my BT line(which I don’t have). It was basically inviting me to press numbers on my phone, presumably to charge me premium rates. 

You cannot be charged anything by your network operator for an incoming call on a landline or mobile on your own network.  Only roaming results in incoming call charges (if your network operator actually charges you for them).  The caller theoretically could if you've somehow made a contract with the caller, which you won't at this point in time.  Pressing a digit tells their automated calling platform to connect you through to one of their humans who will then take a fraudulent payment from you, or get you to install software on your PC which then does bad things.

Toerag 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

>  would I be right in assuming that behind each scam call is a big organised crime set up, maybe the Mafia? Or even a terrorist group?

Definitely organised crime, and normally done from overseas. The resources needed are massive - they have to set up dodgy bank accounts, they have to set up dodgy telephony connectivity, they have to set up dodgy call centres. The victim rate is so low nowadays they need to make literally thousands of calls and be able to cover their tracks to make any money at it.

Post edited at 11:02
 Matt Podd 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

Bastards

profitofdoom 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Matt Podd:

> Bastards

I agree. Scum of the earth

Sherlock 05 Nov 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

The novel 419 by Will Atkinson is quite revealing on a number of levels.

It is *only* a novel but I assume he did some research.

Hooo 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

It's not just the recipients being scammed.

I had an Indian guy once who was very pleasant and got upset when I started abusing him. Normally they shout abuse and hang up at that point. I've since found out that some of these callers actually believe they are working for Microsoft. They've taken a job in a call centre and they think they are helping people. So criminals have put a lot of effort into the scam, it's definitely not some guy in a bedroom.

Rick51 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Look up Jim Browning on youtube if you want to see someone trying to shut down those call centres.

In reply to mondite:

interesting and sad article. Thanks for posting a link to it

In reply to Chopper:

Im getting about 3 to 5 calls a day at the moment on my landline. All from uk numbers. Virgin Media or BT is the claim normally. I wonder, do they up the calling on smartarses?  I played one for a while last week before giving him grief and all of a sudden the calls have gone up.

I dont get any calls on my mobile number but I do get dodgy texts with iffy links.

Ridge 10 Nov 2020
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Im getting about 3 to 5 calls a day at the moment on my landline. All from uk numbers. Virgin Media or BT is the claim normally. I wonder, do they up the calling on smartarses?  I played one for a while last week before giving him grief and all of a sudden the calls have gone up.

You're probably the scammer's version of sending the apprentice to the stores for a long stand / left handed screwdriver / bag of sparks for the grinder 😀

john arran 10 Nov 2020
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I wouldn't be surprised if the purveyors of such phone number to companies for the purpose of spamming were to have in place a feedback mechanism so they can assess the 'quality' of the numbers provided (so as to charge more for proven quality elsewhere.) If so, it would make sense for companies that have been given the timewasting runaround to give that number a top review simply in order that their competitors are more likely to try it too and their time will also be wasted!

James FR 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Chopper:

There are a couple of episodes from the podcast "Reply All" that are worth a listen, in which they actually travel to India to investigate a scam call centre. The episodes are called Long Distance, parts I and II.

It's from a few years ago, there was a follow-up in the summer but I haven't listened to it yet.

GrahamD 10 Nov 2020
In reply to john arran:

Mote likely, simply because they answered the phone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...