Saw a man metal detecting today. What’s changed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Donotello 24 Mar 2020

Gave a friend a lift to his studio today to collect his computer so he can work from home, he wanted to get a train and I thought that was stupid. On the journey I saw; 

- All hand car washes still open. 

- Council cutting grass (they were happy not doing this for a year when they were broke a few years ago) 

- Dress shop open 

- People pressure washer cleaning stuff

- A man metal detecting on the beach  

- Packed car park by the local woods 

As well as all the photos of the tube on the news. What’s actually changed? 

wintertree 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> What’s actually changed?

For starters, some people haven’t understood “necessary journeys” or “2 meters”...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, do you want martial law?  Because this is how we get martial law.

Post edited at 19:40
 Flinticus 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Yeah I clocked a council guy cutting grass in my local park. Why? It also benefits wildlife to let it grow.

But a lot less activity overall

In reply to Donotello:

I was talking to a man metal detecting today.  He said he saw a car drive past with two men in it who were not sitting 2 metres apart.

Just kidding.

Al

Luke90 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> - People pressure washer cleaning stuff

> - A man metal detecting on the beach  

I don't really see what's inherently wrong with either of these. If you're allowed out for a little while each day, for exercise and mental health, is there any particular risk in using that time to wave a metal detector around on a beach or wash your car? Unless you have extra information you're not sharing here, I don't see the problem.

Personally, I'll be using the time for running but if you're out in the fresh air near your home and away from other people, whatever floats your boat surely.

OP Donotello 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Luke90:

He wasnt washing his car he was up on top of Weston Super Mare pier roof (closed) pressure washing the back of the big sign.

And surely you’re just gonna be able to justify absolutely everything a human can pretty much do with this attitude though. Shall I crack out the kite then and head down the beach like the scenes on Sunday? Start painting my house? Etc. We shouldn’t leave the house unless it’s essential and hunting for buried treasure is not essential for f*ck sake. 

Post edited at 21:50
 Dax H 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

> I was talking to a man metal detecting today.  He said he saw a car drive past with two men in it who were not sitting 2 metres apart.

I was surprised by the amount of cars and vans that I saw on the roads today with multiple occupants. Some will have been from the same household but trade vans with 2 guys in the front? I don't think so. 

The Lemming 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> Packed car park by the local woods 

This one is self explanatory.

Post edited at 22:07
 Luke90 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> And surely you’re just gonna be able to justify absolutely everything a human can pretty much do with this attitude though.

Anything low-risk that they can do on their own within a short distance of their house, sure, why not? I don't see the point of starting a puritanical witch hunt over this. A walk on the beach is clearly within the rules, I don't see why you think taking his metal detector with him somehow invalidates that. Save the vitriol for the people flouting the rules in a way that genuinely heightens risk.

> Shall I crack out the kite then and head down the beach like the scenes on Sunday? Start painting my house? Etc. We shouldn’t leave the house unless it’s essential and hunting for buried treasure is not essential for f*ck sake. 

If you live close to the beach, it's empty and you want to use your limited time out of the house to fly a kite, I genuinely don't see a problem with that. Painting your house in 30-minute bursts is probably not a great idea but I'm sure plenty of people will be doing some gardening in the nice weather.

The problems at the weekend were mostly with people travelling long distances to crowded honeypots and spending whole days mingling with strangers. We don't have to ban all pleasure.

profitofdoom 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

> .....He said he saw a car drive past with two men in it who were not sitting 2 metres apart.....

New government guidelines, due tomorrow: one goes in the boot

wintertree 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> And surely you’re just gonna be able to justify absolutely everything a human can pretty much do with this attitude though. Shall I crack out the kite then and head down the beach like the scenes on Sunday? Start painting my house? Etc. We shouldn’t leave the house unless it’s essential and hunting for buried treasure is not essential for f*ck sake. 

Do you understand the hypocrisy of your position?   You shared a confined space with someone not from your household for clearly non essential reasons the day after the government told you not to.  You and that person being together represent a potential transmission event that could have hundreds or thousands of victims downstream of you.  Someone metal detecting in a field by themselves does not.  I certainly hope the metal detectorist walked there from nearby but even if they did, if becomes ever more clear to me how the best intentioned actions just give grounds for some people to self justify their irresponsible behaviour.

I repeat - do you want martial law?

The House of Lords have not yet passed the bill that gives the government the legal power to shut down the dress shop and the car wash.  They will, very soon.  I imagine there will be a couple of highly publicised cases to send a message almost immediately.

Post edited at 23:00
 ianstevens 25 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> I repeat - do you want martial law?

Do you?? Because it sounds like it. Pleasure is not banned. Doing things to your house is not banned.

Interacting with people outside your household is. Unless of course you go to one of the many shops that remain open to buy “essentials”; if you are not about to starve then buying some food is not essential. All of the above activities have far lower risk of transmission than the food shop.

p.s. I took my government mandated exercise today via bike. Not only did it help stop me turning into an obese mess stuck on the sofa, but, dare I say it... I enjoyed it. Call the cops. Managed to stay over 2 m away from everyone, aside from the occasional close pass...

Blue Straggler 25 Mar 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> Do you?? Because it sounds like it. Pleasure is not banned. Doing things to your house is not banned.

> Interacting with people outside your household is. 

From the OP

“Gave a friend a lift to his studio today to collect his computer so he can work from home”

Yes I have selectively edited your post that I “quote”, and cherry-picked from the OP. 

wintertree 25 Mar 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> Do you?? Because it sounds like it.

No I don’t which is why I have been trying to explain things clearly.

> Pleasure is not banned. Doing things to your house is not banned.

I did not say either of those were banned.  I think I was very clear in my posts.  

In reply to ianstevens:

He didn't and that was the point of his post.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...