Savoury pancake ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 16 Feb 2021

Maybe we need a foodie forum on here? 

Anyway, I often do wholemeal crepes with cream cheese, spinach and smoked salmon on pancake Day. These are delicious and I have no objection to doing them again. However, I know the foodie crowd here have great ideas so what else should we be trying for pancake day dinner?

Tom Valentine 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

smoked haddock and leek sauce, not decided yet whether to roll or fold them.

OP girlymonkey 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Is that a creamy sauce? Sounds yum!

elsewhere 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Slice of ham placed on top and rolled with the pancake.

Post edited at 12:00
 veteye 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Just talking to my daughter this morning, I suggested that she tried something akin to what you would put in a quiche, with a vegetarian slant in her case, as her flatmates are vegetarian/piscatarian.

Meanwhile my receptionist said that she had got a recipe from YouMove for her dogs!

Blue Straggler 16 Feb 2021
In reply to veteye:

> Meanwhile my receptionist said that she had got a recipe from YouMove for her dogs!

She’s going to cook her dogs into a savoury pancake?

mick taylor 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

A stir fry of julienne of carrot, red peppers and whatever in a ginger and honey sauce (splash of cream that goes against the general theme). 
Ed: few glazed walnuts on top (walnuts in pan big of honey and let them glaze. They are delish, good with savoury or sweet).

Post edited at 12:49
 Lankyman 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Savoury? No!! You wouldn't put pork pate in a doughnut would you? The only civilised accompaniments to a pancake are sugar and lemon, butter and jam (or maple syrup if trying to impress).  I know the Scots will eat anything but the idea is barbaric.

In reply to Lankyman:

Crepes are definitely meant to be savoury! Have you been to France?? 

I avoid processed sugar so won't do the classic sweet ones. There are good Scots pancakes that you can make from just banana and egg, those are yummy. Might make them for pudding 😊

veteye 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Tee-Hee.

Herdwickmatt 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Mushroom stroganoff is pretty good. 

I might slow roast some mushrooms in miso and mix with cheddar to get a veggie bacon/cheese flavour as well.

RX-78 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Well we had galettes on Sunday, but did not stray far from the usual veggie options you get in France, cheese, mushies, tomatoes, spinach. Tried different things over the years but these are the usual we do. 

But sweet crepes tonight, lemon & sugar, nutella and jam, maybe honey, banana.

Dave Garnett 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Savoury? No!! You wouldn't put pork pate in a doughnut would you? The only civilised accompaniments to a pancake are sugar and lemon, butter and jam (or maple syrup if trying to impress). 

Nonsense. If you've never had them with salt and vinegar you haven't lived.

In reply to girlymonkey:

yes, just normal leeks in white sauce on top of poached smoked haddock( though possibly use the poaching milk for the white sauce). Pancakes will be 50/50 plain/ buckwheat flour.

Toerag 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

We'd always have Staffordshire oatcakes for savoury 'pancakes'.  My mum would put hot tinned plum tomatoes on them, cheap and tasty.

Herdwickmatt 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Love a staffy oatcake and to claim it’s a savoury pancake is heresy. They are distinctly different in so so so so many ways. I’d say there are more differences between pancakes/oatcakes than there are similarities.

Post edited at 15:36
 dread-i 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Have a read up on Indian dosa's. Crispy pancake, often stuffed with something, and comes with a thin curry sauce dip and a side of coconut or similar.

You can get dosa mixes at your local Asian supermarket.

Lankyman 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Nonsense. If you've never had them with salt and vinegar you haven't lived.

I think I'd rather die .....

HansStuttgart 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

it is not the season now, but asparagus with pancakes is a classic.

Cheese with salami is also good.

The Dutch do pancakes with chicken satay as well....

For the sweet ones: thinly sliced, caramellized apples.

PS. The secret to good pancakes, in my opinion, lies in the flour. A mixture of wheat, buckwheat, rye, oatmeal, and barley is recommended.

RX-78 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Just don't do what my son did. He decided to do an Irish flag crepe, green=pesto, white=mayonnaise and gold=orange marmalade.

In reply to RX-78:

The thing is, he could still have done the flag but used carrots or squash for the orange and that would have worked fine!

No chance I'm ruining a pancake with marmalade!

In reply to Herdwickmatt:

When I lived in Coventry you could get them at Tesco's but the best were when I went to the Peak and got them from the dedicated shop in Leek. My Mum always did oatcakes with Bacon and Egg for Sunday breakfast.

RX-78 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I might suggest it to him!

Hat Dude 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Bacon with tomato ketchup, keep it simple

NathanP 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I used to eat in a pub that did delicious seafood pancakes - a posh fish pie mix with creamy sauce, rolled up like a burrito then grated cheese on top and finished under the grill.

Maggot 16 Feb 2021
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Bacon with tomato ketchup, keep it simple

I'm going with this, we've got tons of bacon at the moment.
Maybe with a fried egg or two in there.  Lots of eggs too.

Carless 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Classic galette Bretonne is always good. Ham & cheese inside with a friend egg on top

In fact I think we're having that this evening

Post edited at 17:40
 George_Surf 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Garlic mushrooms 

In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Tesco sold oatcakes a few years ago but they never took off. They were brilliant, best ever accompaniment to a full English ie one without hash browns and baked beans......

I've had some success making them and in a way it's a bit like making pancakes ( in the same way that making tortillas or chuppatis is a bit like making pancakes)

Wingnut 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Just had mediterreanan grains a la Sainsburys, spinach and salmon in mine. Om nom nom, will definitely make that again.

aln 16 Feb 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I fried peppers and onions till soft, added crushed garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika and dried chilli flakes, cooked for 2 minutes, added a dollop of tomato sauce for another 2 minutes. Put this on half of a pancake, top with grated cheese and fold in half.

Followed by a sweet pancake with sliced banana, homemade elderberry vinegar and homemade apple molasses. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

So many tasty suggestions! I might have to do pancake month! 😃

In the end, I left it a bit late to come up with anything too fancy, but memories of French crepes brought me to buy some Creme fraiche, gruyère, prosciutto, chorizo and spinach. We had a couple each with various combinations of those ingredients. Very satisfying!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...