Salmon/trout migration

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 25 Oct 2021

I've been walking alongside the Wenning and haven't seen any fish jumping up the several small weirs or cascades I've passed. Stainforth Force is a well known place to see them and I'm sure I've watched them there before in October. Are they late this year or all done?

Billhook 25 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

They may need more water and prefer brighter nights to move upstream.

Rog Wilko 25 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Hi Karl, 

Don't know about trout but the best month to see the salmon jumping on the Kent at Sedgewick is November. In my experience, that is. Apparently they prefer to go upstream when there's been a torrent, but levels have begun to drop. So I've been told.

OP Lankyman 25 Oct 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yes, I've watched them there as well. I was surprised that the rivers (Lune, Wenning and Greta) were not higher today than they were, given how wet it's been recently. Not low, but not in spate either. I was going to check out the weir at Hornby but it was raining again. That's another good viewpoint for leaping fish and herons trying their luck.

Bottom Clinger 25 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I once hooked, but failed to land, a salmon in Rydal. Was with my grandfather at the time. Fishing for pike but using a silver Devon minnow. Leapt clean out of the water and threw the lure. My grandfather was more annoyed than me. They do swim up that far but rare. He also hooked one whilst he was char fishing in Windermere. Again, failed to land it. He was a very understated angled but said it looked over 20 pounds. 

OP Lankyman 26 Oct 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

>He was a very understated angled but said it looked over 20 pounds. 

Years ago I was walking by the Lune and passed an angler carrying a huge salmon. Before I could engage brain, the words came out 'Have you just caught that?'

Thunderbird7 26 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

At least he wasn't carrying crabs

Bingers 26 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I spent a happy 45 minutes at Stainforth Force yesterday and saw a good dozen or so salmon doing their stuff with varying levels of success.  Its quite addictive really gazing at the torrents for that moment of wow.

OP Lankyman 26 Oct 2021
In reply to Bingers:

It was the first place I ever saw this happening despite travelling to places abroad where I'd have expected to. Yes, it is great to watch but frustrating to try and photograph!

Bottom Clinger 26 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Any excuse to post this photo I took of a leaping (or a head butted) salmon, Chanonry Point, Black Isle. 

OP Lankyman 27 Oct 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Saw sweet FA when I was there. Nice walk round the point and up the little burn behind the village though.

Post edited at 09:13
OP Lankyman 28 Oct 2021
In reply to Billhook:

> They may need more water and prefer brighter nights to move upstream.

I think they'll be getting this just now. A band of heavy, almost continuous rain has been stuck over us for a couple of days. I'll be off work on Sunday so will hopefully see some fish jumping somewhere.

arch 28 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

This is a nice video to watch, a couple of years old now, but I'd imagine it still happens. As a side note, most of those fish would have swam past me whilst I was fishing further downstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0mkWWaEiec&t=210s

Rog Wilko 30 Oct 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Stood for several minutes and watched Sedgwick Force on the Kent this afternoon. Loads of water - too much? - no salmon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...