Russian Covid Vaccine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Roadrunner6 29 Jul 2020

Due out shortly. Within weeks.

theyve not said what type of vaccine it is as far as I know.

itll be interesting to see if it works and what sort of protection it offers. 

interesting review here on the immune responses to Covid.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/the-search-...

In reply to Roadrunner6:

It will probably break up in mid flight at an airshow...

In reply to captain paranoia:

> It will probably break up in mid flight at an airshow...

Brilliant.  

Pmsl

Offwidth 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Russian science is seriously impressive and with their own work compared to possible stolen IPR and a state machine behind them I wouldn't be surprised if they (or China) are first to a viable vaccine. In history the UK and US were at their best in rapid science development when national emergency forced state driven national and allied cooperation.

Lankyman 30 Jul 2020

> It will probably break up in mid flight at an airshow...

Yes, and the good folks of Salisbury will be falling over themselves to get the jab.

Ridge 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Whenever this gets mentioned I can't help thinking about the "Russian Flu Vaccine" in the 2013 Channel 4 series 'Utopia'.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/?ref_=m_tt_sims_tt

Post edited at 10:12
 MalcolmJack 30 Jul 2020

I understand that was intended as a joke, but to Russians, that is literally a racist remark

MalcolmJack 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

The sheer ignorance towards Russian capabilities is ridiculous, there is a reason they've been at the forefront of international politics for as long as anyone alive can remember

EddInaBox 30 Jul 2020
In reply to MalcolmJack:

> I understand that was intended as a joke, but to Russians, that is literally a racist remark

But only because they have no sense of humour... or is that the Germans, I can't remember, they all look the same to me.

Dave Garnett 30 Jul 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Due out shortly. Within weeks.

There's nothing very complicated, technically, about producing something, at lab scale, that would probably work.  The sequence of the viral S-protein is freely available and the details of various vectors and RNA-based immunogens are more or less public.

The complicated bits are doing proper, ethical, clinical trials and manufacturing and packaging to cGMP standards at the scale required. 

Assuming you are interested in doing clinical trials or manufacturing to that standard. 

Post edited at 11:51
 Blunderbuss 30 Jul 2020
In reply to MalcolmJack:

> I understand that was intended as a joke, but to Russians, that is literally a racist remark

😂 

In reply to MalcolmJack:

> I understand that was intended as a joke, but to Russians, that is literally a racist remark

More a wry comment on the potential consequences of rushing through a development based on stolen IP.

Since when has "Russian" been a race? If you'd said it was a xenophobic remark, then you may just have had the merest sniff of a point. Hardly surprising, given a resurgence of 50 years of cold war.

Lankyman 30 Jul 2020
In reply to MalcolmJack:

Russians are a 'race'? Well I never.

wintertree 30 Jul 2020
In reply to MalcolmJack:

Aren't many Russians the same race as many Brits?  Certainly relied on by every movie plot ever around sleeper agents...

Russian science and technology is regularly failing "in the field" due to exceptionally poor quality control during the build phases; this is the nation that recently flew a space capsule with people in where someone accidentally drilled through the pressure vessel and instead of telling someone they filled it with a glue that then failed in the vacuum of space and started to depressurise the capsule.

Noting that a nation is regularly thwarted by bad QC isn't racist.  

Roadrunner6 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

The FDA said they expect the US vaccine to be out very soon, possibly within weeks for emergency authorization.

I think that was the Moderna mRNA vaccine.

Offwidth 31 Jul 2020
In reply to wintertree:

It's also the nation that put US astronauts in space after the space shuttle programme ended. Challenger showed the best Western society can cover up issues that should have been dealt with better and in that case ended up costing lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster

wintertree 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

You’re preaching to the converted on the space shuttles.  “Reusing” one cost about 15x the cost of equivalent disposable Soviet launch capacity.  A highly compromised design with unrealistic cost forecasts and very poor safety.  An abject failure of management at NASA and an attempted white-wash with the Challenger inquiry.  

But that was the era of the Soviets; quality control has been a growing issue in the post-soviet era and it’s getting worse.  There’s very little innovation left in their space program - it’s a testament to the Soviet engineers and American stupidity and croney capitalism that until SpaceX came along Russia still had the unambiguous lead, and that they still supply some of the best rocket engines in the world to the Americans.  I used to work with someone whose wife worked at the Kuybyshev facilities; ten years before they were soviet scientists and western intelligence was purportedly classifying reports of their engines as misinformation as the specs were deemed not realistic or possible.  Then the Americans are buying 100 of them from the warehouse...

Last night SpaceX did an engine test on their behemoth rocket, it could do a 150 meter flight any day now.  Then it’s a 10 km flight.  Made largely of steel, and targeting costs per kg to orbit less than 1/10th of the Russian costs, and able to put more mass and volume in to orbit than the whole ISS in one go.  The Russian space program is going to loose most international income once this is flying; they’re already loosing it to SpaceX’s current  generation of rockets; and they’re struggling to catch up with the current generation of SpaceX rockets.  40 years of expensive stagnation from the yanks gave the Russians an easy ride and they’ve stagnated.  Blue Origin are taking a different route to fully reusable behemoth rockets.  The times they are a changing!

Post edited at 09:16
 Pefa 31 Jul 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> Aren't many Russians the same race as many Brits?  Certainly relied on by every movie plot ever around sleeper agents...

“bitterness by Britain against the Irish race dies in my heart.”

Winston Churchill. 

Are the Irish a race? 

> Russian science and technology is regularly failing "in the field" due to exceptionally poor quality control during the build phases; this is the nation that recently flew a space capsule with people in where someone accidentally drilled through the pressure vessel and instead of telling someone they filled it with a glue that then failed in the vacuum of space and started to depressurise the capsule.

And imagine rushing through a new jet that drives itself and its passengers into the ground/sea after take off just so you can compete with another airline. And where the supposedly independent body that scrutinises the safety of your product gets you to do its QC for them??? Ffs. 

Boeing QC manager - " I would never let my family fly in a Boeing airliner" 

> Noting that a nation is regularly thwarted by bad QC isn't racist.  

How many cars and products in the west are regularly the subject of recalls? Millions innit? Yeah let's laugh at Russian QC eh? lol

wintertree 31 Jul 2020
In reply to Pefa:

> And imagine rushing through a new jet that drives itself and its passengers into the ground/sea after take off just so you can compete with another airline. And where the supposedly independent body that scrutinises the safety of your product gets you to do its QC for them??? Ffs. 

I think we can safely say both sides are loosing.  As I said in a post to Offwidth, the crony capitalism in the USA is rotting their traditional aerospace sector.  The corporate mess trading under the Boeing name being a prime example.  It’s not going well for their “Starliner” capsule...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...