Rufford Ford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 01 Oct 2021

This is just hypnotic…addictive but having watched a few, if I ever own a BMW or Mercedes sprinter I will not be driving them through any fords or even puddles.  Land rovers as you might expect have a very clever air intake!

youtube.com/watch?v=fAqdwr8eu94&

Cheers

Toby

Doghouse 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Enter slowly then accelerate to create a bow wave. 

OP Toby_W 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Doghouse:

Yes, a couple of clever souls went through backwards when it was deep!

Cheers

Toby

FactorXXX 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Doghouse:

> Enter slowly then accelerate to create a bow wave. 

Enter slowly, drive slowly and don't change gear.

OP Toby_W 02 Oct 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

Why must you not change gear?  Does it suck and extra gulp of air in?

I do feel lucky watching this, a few years back I was driving up to Eskdalemuir in Scotland and there were constant flood and weather warnings all the way up.  All the way, dry, not even a puddle!  In the last mile I’m belting along the little lane as fast as I can to avoid being caught up and then holding up the large logging lorries that blast along there.  I drive over A rise into a dip and there is a small lake in front of me, I ploughed into it and the water pretty much went over the roof and I became a submarine for a few seconds while my auto wind wipers tried their best🤣🤣.  Thank goodness the car was ok but the first thing I was Googling 5min later at my destination was where is the air intake on a golf mk5 tdi and then checking for water in the various air filters!  All good though, must have trapped a pocket of air behind the grill😀

cheers

Toby

yeti 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

enter it at 40 in a 2.6 tonne nissan patrol and then nail it, but choose your entry direction carefully

or so someone once said ...erm no officer i don't remember

artif 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Fun video

Land rovers won't break down due to the water, they just break down because they're land rovers

ebdon 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Hah! I once tried to cycle through the ford at Rufford abbey (in much lower water than in the vid) turns out the bottom is covered in slime and I totally lost the back wheel and got a proper dunking, much to the amusement of the onlookers on the bridge.

toad 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

A Friend works at Rufford Abbey. Post rain fordwatch is a popular lunchtime activity. 

In reply to artif:

Back in the 80s we had a petrol series Landy at work - it conked out every time it went through a puddle and it was only a couple of years old then.

artif 02 Oct 2021
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> Back in the 80s we had a petrol series Landy at work - it conked out every time it went through a puddle and it was only a couple of years old then.

That wouldn't have been through ingestion of water though, just piss poor design

Duncan Bourne 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

I used to own a citroën with Hydropneumatic suspension. You could pump it up to raise the car above this sort of thing

In reply to artif:

Oh yes, it was rubbish electrics.

FactorXXX 03 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

> Why must you not change gear?  Does it suck and extra gulp of air in?

It can suck water up your exhaust pipe and cause internal damage... 🙄

Wingnut 03 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

There's a fun one near me at Barston - a regular walk from home, and hours of fun watching people trying to work out what to do about it!

wintertree 03 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Unofficially, the Nissan Leaf has a wading depth of at least 700 mm.  One day I shall put it to the test; the main problem with deep floods around here is that you often can’t tell what is road and what is verge or ditch, so driving  them is a mug’s game.  Unless one had some augmented reality “dude, where’s my road?” mobile phone app I suppose…

My old 2003 X-trail had a mini snorkel inside the engine bay, that worked a treat but the electrics started getting decidedly quirky long before water in the air intake as an issue.

Leaf testing with an awesome bow wave:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y9plRzRZ_PY&

tew 03 Oct 2021
In reply to wintertree:

That's one of the really cool things about EVs. The Rivian R1 wading depth of a 1m. Not because of the electrics, but the buoyancy.

OP Toby_W 03 Oct 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

I guess it's related to that gasp some cars do when they change gear breaking the exhuast flow and pulling back!  I think if you're changing gears you've probably fked up anyway :-0

Cheers

Toby

gethin_allen 03 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

The stupid thing is that many of the drivers in the video were pretty good, driving in slowly with high revs etc. and never got much deeper than the door sills yet still broke down shortly after. How crap are modern car at getting through a bit of water! I remember my parents driving an old Volvo through a lot more water than that when Newgale road (Pembrokshire) was flooded and having no issues at all.

felt 03 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

It's like Edward Woodward.

Mal Grey 03 Oct 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

As you said at the start, strangely hypnotic.

Rufford Ford is about a mile from my parents' house. I do remember having to wait for my first car, a poverty-spec Austin Maestro, to dry out in a layby up the hill once, but then again it did that after driving through puddles. A few minutes and a spray of WD40 normally fixed it.

Most of my family has some sort of incident story from that road between there and Wellow. I think my brother had a similar incident with his own first car, I got caught crossing a double white line at on the main road at the Wellow end (3 pts) and I think my mum put her car in the verge on ice somewhere on the bendy bit (slowly, no damage).

Those were the days.

There are now semi-permanent "ford closed" signs at both ends, yet it clearly still happens all the time. 

Clauso 03 Oct 2021
In reply to Doghouse:

> Enter slowly then accelerate to create a bow wave. 

Giggity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...