Rowing machine recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 10 Apr 2019

Evening all,

I don't do running having snapped both achilles in the past so my go to non weight bearing exercise has always been out on my bike or on the exercise bike in the garage.

Its all become a bit boring now on the bike and I'd like to have a more fuller body workout so after a recommendation for a rowing machine please. I'm about 16 stone and 6ft 3 if that makes a difference and I reckon my budget would be about £2-300

Thanks, Den 

OP Denni 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Denni:

Quickly scanning the net, it would seem £300 will get me not a lot! Maybe £500?

Welsh Kate 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Denni:

I'd get a second hand Concept 2 off a certain auction site. They're the ubiquitous gym rower.

deepsoup 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Denni:

New?  Maybe second-hand would be the way to go with that one?

As long as it's not been beaten to death in a gym somewhere, I think I'd much rather have an old and scruffy Concept 2 than a (relatively) cheap new machine.

deepsoup 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Beat me to it.

OP Denni 10 Apr 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks for the replies all, much appreciate. A 10 minute read suggests all of the above!

Oceanrower 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Denni:

There are only 2 worth having and neither are anywhere near your budget new. Concept 2 model c you might get second hand if your lucky. The other one to consider might be the Waterrower. Though they tend to hold their price quite well do to being a bit (Lot!) better looking in a house.

Post edited at 21:02
 Toccata 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Denni:

Concept 2 Model C with PM3 monitor. I still prefer the feel of the Model C over D (unpleasant) and E. PM 3 allows you to set a pace boat that PM2 didn’t. Check chain condition and that the clutch/free wheel works as both are a bit pricey to fix.

Patrick Roman 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Denni:

I trained a lot on a Concept II for years. It cost me around £800 new and that was 20 years ago, but they’re worth it (as mentioned, look for second hand if you can’t justify new). They’re reliable, you can buy parts if needed (I did 80,000m a week and there was no sign of wear after years of use), and they’ll take your weight and height easily (although heavyweight rowers tend to weigh down the front legs to stop it moving). You really only need to wipe down the rail with a cloth after a session (10 secs) and occasionally lubricate the chain (30 secs). There are indoor rowing competitions and I’m sure you must still be able to do time/distance trials at home and submit your results to CII for their rankings, which helps to keep interest (Olympic gold medalists - Redgrave, Pinsent, the Searle brothers etc - were all in the ranking lists when I was rowing). And speaking as someone who also did athletics for years, it’s a brilliant cardio workout (whether short intervals, long distances etc) and far less damaging to the body. 

Oceanrower 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Patrick Roman:

> I did 80,000m a week 

Amateur...

Patrick Roman 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Yep! 200k a week seems to be the norm if you have Olympic aspirations? I still think rowers trump all in terms of training. Alternating between 3 times a day and twice a day, 7 days a week with one day off every three weeks. Utterly mental

Shani 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Denni:

Although rowers make an expensive clothes horse, the O'Neill test is a great goal.

OP Denni 15 Apr 2019
In reply to Shani:

Thanks again for all the replies folks, budget up to £500 for a second hand Concept so fingers crossed.

In reply to Denni:

Concept 2 also make a ski machine (basically an upturned rower) which is also an excellent workout, I would say better for upper body and takes up way less floor space

I did have issues though with my wrists and hands after gripping the handles for an hour pulling hard though.

Post edited at 09:35
 minty1984 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Denni:

You can rent concept 2 rowers for £44 per month from indoor sport services. You also have the option to buy the machine and continue to pay for it monthly

I have used the service twice now and it is very good. Any problems with the machine are usually fixed without question and free of charge

Eciton 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Denni:

Buy instead a kettlebell and do swings. It will be way less boring then a rowing machine. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...