Roofing - Dry Ridge Install Costs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StuPoo2 23 May 2022

Todays task:  Ballpark, how much might one expect the roofers to quote to do a conversion of my mortar'd down hip ridges to dry ridge?

Details:

1. 2 story house
  2. 6 hip ridges on the main body of the house (L shaped)
  3. 3 bay windows - each with a pair of small hip ridges on each.

Scaffolding needed = yes.  Remove existing mortar'd hip ridges.  Supply and fit new hip ridge system, supply and fit new hip ridges = yes.   Remove all rubbish.

I estimate there is ~34m of ridge.

Thoughts?

CantClimbTom 23 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

Will be greatly affected by if you are in Chelsea or Aberdeen, maybe give a vague location

OP StuPoo2 23 May 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Fair.

Scotland.  Central belt commuter town outside of Glasgow.

fmck 23 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

I did mine myself using my climbing ropes rather than scaffold. It was quite easy using aluminium ridge system. Roofing is actually quite straight forward. Lead work I do some but not a lot as it does require skill. You will save a fortune and you can learn on you tube all sorts of systems. I learned loads of roofing techniques on you tube and never had any issues. 

misterb 23 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

Tiles or slates? 

It's generally easier to do remedial work on a tiled roof which will pay a part in the price quoted 

If it's a really old roof you might get quotes for day rate only as they can be a can of worms with regards to uncovering other issues whilst doing the work

OP StuPoo2 24 May 2022
In reply to misterb:

Tiles.  

Not a really old roof - circa 1996 it went on.

Dax H 24 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

Not much help but a pal of mine lives in Cumbernauld and has been getting various things done on his house and the cost has been 2 arms plus a leg. 

OP StuPoo2 24 May 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> The cost has been 2 arms plus a leg. 

Yeah ... the quotes I'm getting in are not cheap.

Maybe there is another angle to this.  Maybe the question is:  Over, say, 20 years - does it pay to upgrade your hip ridges to dry ridge or are you better off just continually patching them up?

Dry Ridge Costs

CheckATrade suggesting £60 per meter [1] not including scaffolding.  I used google maps "estimate distance" feature to guess that I've got about 34m of hip ridge.  £60 * 34m = £2040.  I'm going to guess that it's a 2 day job(?), but that they need scaffolding on site for a day either side ... which basically means scaffolding for a week since they're unlikely to be able to put it to another job.  Let's assume scaffolding for 1 week, inc putting up and taking down = £800(?).  So total = ~£2850 for the whole job.  Am I even close?

Question then is .. how much maintenance on dry ridge?  I'd like to hope next to nothing over 20 years.

Patching Mortar Costs

I get someone up there every 4(?) years @ £500 a shot.  Am I close?  So £2500 over 20 yrs.

Am I even in the right ball park with costs?  Does anyone have any experience with maintenance costs on dry ridge?  

[1] https://www.checkatrade.com/blog/cost-guides/dry-ridge-system-installation-...

CantClimbTom 24 May 2022
In reply to Dax H:

That's odd, the Guild of Exorbitant Building Professionals (who set the pricing guidelines) state that clients should be quoted 2 arms + estimated value of the car on the driveway, for all minor roofing work. Maybe StuPoo2 needs to borrow a tatty 20 year+ car like a Ford Fiesta, KA etc to leave on his driveway.

Jokes aside I *guarantee* the quotes will come in cheaper if he does

Post edited at 17:07
 robert-hutton 24 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

Repointed my ridges with Flexim Roof Putty its a easy job doesn't crack like cement I can highly recommend did it three years ago and no movement or weathering and we live in a very exposed position, did it with old climbing rope.

MarkAstley 24 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

If you did decide to patch/ repair yourself, get down to the builders merchant and get a bag of fibreglass reinforcing fibres to mix in with the mortar, makes it lovely and strong and very crack resistant. 

Mark

jiminy483 24 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

I think my roof guy would get this done in 2-3 days so 300-450 for labour. 

Albert Tatlock 24 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

Not sure if this helps, Rochdale area

4 bed detached - 26 ridge tiles ,24 hip tiles ( 4 x 6) plus scaffolding quoted £2200 + vat 

The roofer has done a few full re roofs on other properties for me, so perhaps some discount included 

Albert 

In reply to StuPoo2:

> Does anyone have any experience with maintenance costs on dry ridge? 

Little knowledge but my current house has a dry ridge; 24 years no maintenance so far.

JMarkW 24 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

Did my ridge tiles on a few houses now. It's probably the easiest bit of the roof to do.

Get some roof ladders, some rope and your harness on its pretty straightforward. Loads of YouTube videos.

A decent 3:1 mix with plasticisers added on a cool damp misty day if you can manage it will last a lifetime.

OP StuPoo2 25 May 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Good feedback - thanks.

OP StuPoo2 25 May 2022
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

> 4 bed detached - 26 ridge tiles ,24 hip tiles ( 4 x 6) plus scaffolding quoted £2200 + vat 

Good feedback - thanks.

fmck 27 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

As JMarkW says your going to throw money away getting a roofer. The less they spend the the more they make. If you want a good job done. LEARN it's not difficult. We dont need instructors anymore we got you tube. 

fmck 28 May 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

I assume the dislike came from a roofer. Shady bas###ds.

printvela 02 Jun 2022
In reply to StuPoo2:

If you need to get a dry hip ridge system installed on an average semi-detached house, you’ll usually need around 14 metres of hips in total (two runs of six metres and one run of two metres). This means it’ll typically cost around £770 in total.

> Todays task:  Ballpark, how much might one expect the roofers to quote to do a conversion of my mortar'd down hip ridges to dry ridge?

> Details:

> 2 story house

> 6 hip ridges on the main body of the house (L shaped)

> 3 bay windows - each with a pair of small hip ridges on each.

> Scaffolding needed = yes.  Remove existing mortar'd hip ridges.  Supply and fit new hip ridge system[climb(undefined,"https://printvela.com/)] supply and fit new hip ridges = yes.   Remove all rubbish.

> I estimate there is ~34m of ridge.

> Thoughts?

In reply to StuPoo2:

If you need to get a dry hip ridge system installed on an average semi-detached house, you’ll usually need around 14 metres of hips in total (two runs of six metres and one run of two metres). This means it’ll typically cost around £770 in total.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...