RIP Robert Gore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 20 Sep 2020

Pretty much changed the way we looked at outdoor clothing; and IIRC a good bloke, who refused to let go of staff even when there was a significant downturn in business. 

I'll be thinking of him next time I'm warm and snug in the middle of a downpour (i.e. next week.)

Timmd 20 Sep 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

My old school (pre more ecological) Mountain Equipment Gortex XCR is lovely in wintry conditions with the pitzips opened, with my hood up and my face hunkered down within it leaves me feeling inpenetrable while walking along or cycling home as the hail bounces off it. 

RIP

Post edited at 14:42
 druridge 20 Sep 2020

I've still got a mid 1980's Phoenix jacket in regular use ( better for showers and snow now than an all day downpour), it was a game changer when it came on the scene.

Timmd 20 Sep 2020
In reply to druridge:

I think I've decided that 'dry' isn't always possible and 'warm and moist' is fine. I reckon Andy Kirkpatrick nudged me in that direction, and volunteering in a bright orange and unbreathable waterproof did while wearing wool things underneath it, I'd quite a nice warm fug generated inside by the end of the day from walking about doing stuff, being warm is the main thing when we've a waterproof skin. Unless one's sweat might freeze I suppose, which I've never been in a cold enough environment for.

Post edited at 16:57
 Greenbanks 20 Sep 2020

Well said. 

munkins 21 Sep 2020

Only really used Army Issue-Gortex, man that stuff made a difference from what preceded it. Didn't just stop the rain and wind but also the mozzie and ant bites. Never heard of Robert Gore until just now but I owe this dude some gratitude, he made some seriously miserable times much less miserable for a young squaddie, RIP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...