RIP - David Bellamy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

David Bellamy has migrated to the great flower garden in the sky.  

The elysian fields so to speak. 

I always enjoying seeing him on TV in my youth.

May he rest in peace .

I didn't want him to get drowned out by all the politics of the day and to be remembered respectfully .

Route Adjuster 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Sad news, loved his various TV programs as a kid, so enthusiastic and descriptive.  

Enty 12 Dec 2019

I hope they line his coffin with sphagnum moss.

RIP

E

Siward 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Enty:

Oh dear, genuinely saddened to hear that.

I remember the miniature Bellamy wandering round back gardens encountering bugs and slugs. Brilliant stuff helped along by his boundless enthusiasm.

Second the sphagnum moss idea.

Post edited at 07:53
 The Lemming 12 Dec 2019

He was great on Tiswas. I hope there is a bit where Lenny Henry pops up and says a few words in honour of David Bellamy.

Hat Dude 12 Dec 2019

> David Bellamy has migwated to the gweat flower garden in the sky.  

FTFY

Tricky Dicky 12 Dec 2019

To be honest I really disliked him. He used to be a great supporter of wind power until he had a big falling out with some of them over money and then he changed tack completely, by campaigning against wind power and global warming.

He told lies to support his theories that global warming was all made up and  when challenged he announced that he would withdraw from the climate change debate. However, despite this announcement he continued to use his fame to spread his bitter lies. 

skog 12 Dec 2019

Ach, another of the great icons of my childhood gone.

He led an amazing life, inspired a great many people, and made it to a pretty good age, so i suppose we should mostly just be happy for him - but it's still sad he's gone.

In reply to Tricky Dicky:

> To be honest I really disliked him. He used to be a great supporter of wind power until he had a big falling out with some of them over money and then he changed tack completely, by campaigning against wind power and global warming.

> He told lies to support his theories that global warming was all made up and  when challenged he announced that he would withdraw from the climate change debate. However, despite this announcement he continued to use his fame to spread his bitter lies. 

He's just died .  Aside from any issues about that,  he brought a great deal of wonder and interest in the natural world to a generation of young people.

I'm sorry I find your comments disrespectful and ill placed. 

Post edited at 10:05
 toad 12 Dec 2019

He was an odd guy. He was massively charismatic and enthused and inspired many people, but his ridiculous stance on climate change soured what could have been a much more concrete legacy.

He was not afraid to stand up for the environment, as many Australians would testify ( he was arrested in a dam protest there), until suddenly he wasn't. 

I met him a couple of times (gave him a lift to the station, once - bit of a luvvie, but a lot of tv environmentalists are) and he had been a real advocate for the Wildlife Trusts, and was generous with his time for them, but then you hit that climate change denial. He traded on his peat related phd, but in truth he hadn't done any science in decades. A good field botanist, i believe. 

The world will be greyer without him, but like i said, odd

Tricky Dicky 12 Dec 2019

> I'm sorry I find your comments disrespectful and ill placed. 

Sometimes the truth is uncomfortable, but it is still the truth.  I never really understood the whole 'don't speak ill of the dead' thing...........

skog 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

People are complex and it's entirely possible for someone to be quite wrong about something major while still being a decent person, who does a lot of good.

Think how many people he must have inspired to become interested in life sciences and conservation; conversely, his opinions on climate change have been shown to be quite wrong and probably haven't had any lasting effect.

ring ouzel 12 Dec 2019
In reply to toad:

Agree with all of that Toad.

philipivan 12 Dec 2019
In reply to toad:

Hi you're in Nottingham aren't you? When I started Nottingham uni in 94 he was listed as a lecturer in the life science department. I always hoped to bump into him ( I was in engineering) but I never did. Loved his programmes when I was little. 

RIP

Removed User 12 Dec 2019

He was a public figure. This is exactly the time/place to discuss all aspects of his legacy, good or bad.

Post edited at 12:22
 wercat 12 Dec 2019
In reply to T' Wild Scallion:

He was actually shy in company and quite self effacing.  As a kid my youngest sister and her friends took him, as a prof, over the garden wall and into a limestone quarry to look at frogs and newts in the deep pool (weardale).  They had a great afternoon.

I can remember him peering at a broken toy and trying to help me repair it when it was presented to me to fix at a New Year's eve party for the kids of some family friends, far back in the 70s.

I believe he suffered a lot of carping unkind comments from other academics over his TV involvment

malk 12 Dec 2019

sad that he was so vilified because of his different point of view- hardly a mention on BBC news;(

RIP

In reply to malk:

> sad that he was so vilified because of his different point of view- hardly a mention on BBC news;(

> RIP

I agree.  Judging by some peoples reactions to this post you'd have thought he'd personally burnt down the Amazon .  Companionless poor souls. 

Tricky Dicky 13 Dec 2019
In reply to malk:

> vilified because of his different point of view

Not so much because of his point of view, everybody is welcome to have an opinion,  but the lies that he told to try to put it across....................

squarepeg 13 Dec 2019
In reply to malk:

Spot on. A funny bloke from his TV days.

Moley 13 Dec 2019

Very sad he has gone, one of the early naturalists that transferred his enthusiasm to TV and influenced many youngsters of the day. That is how he should be remembered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...