Return of 3 day weeks - Brexit impact

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 17 Sep 2018

So, a return to 3 day weeks, blamed (partially) on Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45550025

Will other manufacturers / industries follow?

snoop6060 17 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

Bloody hope so. Always thought having more time off than you work was the future. I'd sign up instantly if my employer offered me this. 

ianstevens 17 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

"who will remain on full pay"

Sounds absolutely ideal

Clauso 17 Sep 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

> "who will remain on full pay"

> Sounds absolutely ideal

Absolutely ideal, until it all gets moved to Germany.

wercat 17 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

it's only Project Fear ...

baron 17 Sep 2018
In reply to wercat:

> it's only Project Fear ...

Project drei actually.

ianstevens 17 Sep 2018
In reply to Clauso:

Well yeah, I’m this case. I was more remarking on how working a three day week, on full pay would be great for work-life balance if it was longer term. 

wercat 17 Sep 2018
In reply to baron:

Sehr Gut, eh bien?

In reply to subtle:

I already have a 3 day week.

The Grist 17 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

I work in the insurance industry. I had two letters today from really large insurers saying as part of their forward planning for a no deal they were relocating their head offices to Paris. One was Chubb insurance. Can not recall the other. This debacle will cost the UK big time. 

La benya 17 Sep 2018
In reply to The Grist:

I’m not sure what insurance industry you work in, but in the one I’m in Chubb are incorporated in Zurich...

The Grist 17 Sep 2018
In reply to La benya:

PI law (for my sins). They were clearly standard letters going out to all solicitors. Am just saying what it said. 

Ian W 17 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Will other manufacturers / industries follow?

Not if all those who think we should go it alone buy british......i'm sure there will be lots and lots of Bee Emms and Mercs being traded in for Jags etc......

Wiley Coyote2 17 Sep 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

>  I was more remarking on how working a three day week, on full pay would be great for work-life balance if it was longer term. 

Indeed it would but I fear that finding a business model that can sustain five days' pay for three days' work may prove a bit more elusive.......... in the longer term

Jim C 22 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

During Maggie's time, I was on week on week off, and got 90% of my salary , which end I more than topped up by doing odd jobs, in between chilling out days. 

I highly recommend it, if the conditions are the same. 

Jim C 22 Sep 2018
In reply to The Grist:

> I work in the insurance industry. I had two letters today from really large insurers saying as part of their forward planning for a no deal they were relocating their head offices to Paris.

Was it actually physically relocating their offices and staff, or just the brass plate  ?

I worked for a company that moved its brass plate around for tax reasons. The works and staff remained where they were. 

Post edited at 01:59
 FactorXXX 22 Sep 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

> "who will remain on full pay"
> Sounds absolutely ideal

Perhaps not as straight forward as portrayed.
For example, I work in a manufacturing sector which has seasonal fluctuations and the Shop Floor work extra during certain times of the year and work less at others.
Not saying that this is the case here, but the Shop Floor might have to pay back the time when production improves.

Dax H 22 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

Where does Jaguar blame it on Brexit ?. Their line is its because of the slowdown in deisle sales. A points scoring labour mp is the one to claim Brexit followed by a union saying the same thing. The only time anyone from Jaguar mentions brexix is an older quote about the government had better get it right. 

ianstevens 22 Sep 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

> >  I was more remarking on how working a three day week, on full pay would be great for work-life balance if it was longer term. 

> Indeed it would but I fear that finding a business model that can sustain five days' pay for three days' work may prove a bit more elusive.......... in the longer term

Imagine if, over the past 4/5/60 years, we had come up with some sort of turbo-calculator that we could attach to physical device, tell it what sums to do to move that device how we wanted, and get it to do monotonous tasks previously completed by humans. Just imagine. Then, imagine if the people in charge of these automated devices decided to pass on the extra money they made from them, allowing people to go to work less. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...