Restoration Project

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 23 May 2020

I've been having a clear out and tidy up in the garage - as one does during lockdowns.

Came across my original ice axe, a wooden handled Stubai Mont Blanc. What happy memories it brought back. I even remember purchasing it in a shop in Bethesda called Arvons - long since gone - in 1979.

It's looking a bit sorry for itself but I think it would be an act of vandalism to discard it. I'm now doing my best to make it look happier and have set to with emery paper cleaning the film of rust off the metalwork and preparing the handle for some sort of finish.

It felt so good handling it again, it feels as if its got a character - unlike my modern axe. I might even be tempted to use it again come the winter.

Anyone else renovating old gear?

Blue Straggler 23 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I am thinking of getting some emery paper onto my Mountain Technology axe from 1992. 

I might use the same emery paper to remove a thin film of rust on some Decathlon ice skates that I bought circa 2010 possibly while still drunk from the previous night (New Year's Eve) which have never been used, merely sat in a slightly damp basement cupboard for 9 or 10 years because I don't like ice skating, I'm not proficient at it, I have not done it since getting the skates, and even if I did, I would probably forget to take them and just use the ones that they include in the entry price anyway  

In reply to Blue Straggler:

I have an antique brass deep sea diving helmet in my pantry that I won in a knife fight circa 8/10/1961 but it's heavily tarnished could emery paper be the answer? I doubt I'll be trying deep sea diving any time soon but it could make a cool tank to display bearded dragon in, in the interim

Blue Straggler 23 May 2020
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

No

In reply to mypyrex:

I'm dismantling some ancient Friends with a plan to thread the lobes together to make a set of worry beads. I've cleaned up one lobe and will probably try to sand/polish it up to a more shiny finish. Whether the rest of them will get the same treatment depends on how long it takes.

marsbar 23 May 2020

You could try brasso and a soft cloth.  

OP mypyrex 23 May 2020

A bit off topic but quite a few years ago a mate and I flew by light aircraft to Alderney ans cycled round the island on hired bikes.

In our travels we came across this pub:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/41/75/28/417528c13f37f1b4a9793be9b08737a2.jp...

We looked for a ladders having thought it would be rather fun for each of us in turn to pose with our head inside the helmet. Sadly we never did find a ladder.

In reply to marsbar:

Brasso cleans them up better than cream of tartar but they’ll need sanding to get a shiny finish. 

Stichtplate 23 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

I have an old sac that I seem to have had since forever. It used to hold my gear safe and snug, carrying a full load all day without a problem. The years have taken their toll though, it sags an bulges and can no longer be trusted with even a handful of old nuts. It's glory days are long gone and I fear it is utterly beyond restoration

Timmd 23 May 2020
In reply to Stichtplate: Have you checked the stitching? I have a rucksack which is just on the right side of being repairable, it's the perfect size for food shopping with and winter adventures on my bike and different things, I'm making do with a too large rucksack at the mo and trying not to over pack it until it's sorted. It's 1000 denier cordura and super tough, I occasionally open it and look inside for any pinpricks of light getting in and dab superglue on those points.

Post edited at 23:13
 marsbar 23 May 2020
In reply to Timmd:

Oh Tim bless you.  Read it again.  

In reply to mypyrex:

I can't offer any restoration tips I'm afraid, but I think that it would be wonderful if you could post a picture of said ice axe. I for one would be interested in seeing it. 

pasbury 23 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Nice, lovely bit of gear I'm sure. If it felt good to buy and use many years ago then I'm sure it will feel good in the hand next winter too.

I was never much of a winter climber but I will dig out my clog vulture.

Stichtplate 23 May 2020
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

> I can't offer any restoration tips I'm afraid, but I think that it would be wonderful if you could post a picture of said ice axe. I for one would be interested in seeing it. 

What a brilliant idea! Perhaps UKC could arrange a special gallery where we could display our worn out old tools?

Timmd 24 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> Oh Tim bless you.  Read it again.  

Ha.

Tom Valentine 24 May 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

You first.

mick taylor 24 May 2020
In reply to mypyrex:

Some guy on here did a restoration on a wooden Chouinard, totally amazing job, worth a search?

Blue Straggler 24 May 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

> What a brilliant idea! Perhaps UKC could arrange a special gallery where we could display our worn out old tools?

I am having traumatic flashbacks to Fawksey now! 

marsbar 24 May 2020

Just thinking something very similar 

Stichtplate 24 May 2020

> I am having traumatic flashbacks to Fawksey now! 

That sounds interesting. What was Fawksey getting up to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...