Researchers capture footage of atoms bonding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Fascinating 

"For the first time ever, scientists have managed to capture video of two atoms bonding and separating on a scale that is half-a-million times thinner than a human hair.

Through the use of "advanced microscopy methods", researchers from the University of Ulm in Germany and University of Nottingham in the UK managed to show the phenomenon as two atoms bond, then split up.

The atoms were between 0.1 and 0.3 nanometres, (1,000 millionths of a metre) - making capturing it difficult."

https://news.sky.com/story/researchers-capture-footage-of-atoms-bonding-and...

Bob Kemp 22 Jan 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

It doesn't look very exciting, but it's quite amazing really.

Andy Hardy 22 Jan 2020

Anybody else thinking "footage" isn't the optimal adjective to use? Although "nanotage" doesn't trip off the tongue.

wercat 23 Jan 2020

while it is a video it is more akin to seeing a radar plot of what is going on than "seeing it".

Remarkable achievement though - they almost "look" as if they are doing a courtship dance

Rigid Raider 23 Jan 2020

I really wish I had paid more attention in school chemistry lessons because as I age I realise what a remarkable subject it is. I think if I had my time again I'd be torn between chemistry and geology (not unrelated anyway) as ways of understanding the world we inhabit. 

gethin_allen 23 Jan 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Anybody else thinking "footage" isn't the optimal adjective to use? Although "nanotage" doesn't trip off the tongue.

"Footage" isn't really a good term for any modern film/video (neither work) seeing as no feet of film is used and anyway, they are scientists so they'd use SI units.

Movies is probably the most correct term.

wercat 23 Jan 2020
In reply to gethin_allen:

or animation?

wintertree 23 Jan 2020
In reply to wercat:

You can’t go wrong with “visualisation”.  You are taking something inherently non-visual and making it visual to better match the high bandwidth input to a human brain.

”movie” and “animation” are some ways of delivering a visualisation.

wercat 23 Jan 2020
In reply to wintertree:

yes, that carries with it the idea of putting a representation into the visible realm where the reality is intrinsically beyond it.  Beyond optical microscopy.

colinakmc 23 Jan 2020

When will we see it on the big screen?

tonanf 23 Jan 2020
In reply to wercat:

its all a representation in the visible realm

Robert Durran 23 Jan 2020
In reply to tonanf:

> its all a representation in the visible realm

It's footage but not as we know it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...