Removing suncream stains from clothes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Not for the first time, doh, I’ve managed to get suncream stains on white t-shirts at neck and sleeves.

Never have found anything that removes the stains in the past including trying various suggestion I found online. Anyone have a top tip recommendation to try for removing the stains please? TIA.

Jenny C 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Don't wear clothes that you care about when out in the sun (sorry not helpful, but that's the only solution I've found).

In reply to Jenny C:

Yup that and wearing dark colours has been my norm for years. My hill walking tops for example were all stained due to suncream and I just accepted that was consequence of having sun protection. Who cared anyway when in the hills!

This week though, senior moments, I had better tops on when the sun made unexpected appearances and I put on suncream without thinking. I’m now trying to be hopeful I can rescue them!

What sort of suncream? Are the stains due to oil, or zinc/titanium oxide white?

Oil-based stains ought to come out with a decent washing detergent liquid, applied neat. White stains are usually held in place by oils, anyway.

In reply to captain paranoia:

> What sort of suncream?

I use Nivea Sun whatever is in that, and have done for years. I note there is rapeseed oil in the list of ingredients if that is important in the cause of the staining. Certainly normal clothes washing powders/liquids don’t remove the stains, nor any stain removers for clothes I’ve tried.

Are you the saying the likes of dish washing liquids may be helpful?

Post edited at 21:18

> Are you the saying the likes of dish washing liquids may be helpful?

I wasn't saying that specifically; more suggesting liquid washing detergent, rather than powders, as liquids can easily be applied directly, and rubbed in.

But washing up liquid is more aggressive, so can also be useful for removing stubborn grease in clothing.

In reply to captain paranoia:

I’ve tried liquid clothes detergents before and with a pre soak first. Worth a try therefore with washing up liquid since little to lose. Thanks I’ll give go tomorrow.

wintertree 04 Jun 2021

Kitchen degreaser or citrus chain degreaser if all else fails?

”Suncream is such a persistent stain”

In reply to wintertree:

> …. citrus chain degreaser …

I got that for the bike which says it’s bio degradable so that may be reasonably clothes friendly. Certainly effective with the mtb chain oil I use.

Thanks I’ll give it a try if the washing liquid doesn’t work. Currently got two t shirts with that rubbed into the collar and sleeve cuffs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...