Removing gas fires - any negatives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 24 Jul 2022

Just seeking some sage counsel and opinions really. We recently moved house to an approx 18-20 yr old house, two of the rooms have gas fires. The house has central heating and both those rooms have two radiators as well. 

We don’t like the fires aesthetically and they limit the furniture arrangement options in those rooms (because they take up a whole wall). 

are there any cons to removing them? I assume they aren’t very economical, particularly in this economic climate…

Offwidth 24 Jul 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

We had one removed and the extra space was much appreciated... just a small vent now where the gas fire was.

Tringa 24 Jul 2022

If possible find where the gas supply comes into the house and have it capped off as it enters the house, so if there are any leaks in the future the gas stays outside.

Are these gas fires in fire places, ie there is a chimney and chimney breasts? If so, you could remove the the chimney breasts to give a bit more room, but its a big job requiring support for the upper floors and it how it might affect neighbours, if applicable, needs to be considered.

I suggest needs to be done by someone who really knows what they are doing.

Dave 

MG 24 Jul 2022
In reply to Tringa:

> If possible find where the gas supply comes into the house and have it capped off as it enters the house, so if there are any leaks in the future the gas stays outside.

Any competent gas fitter (required by law) can safely cap a pipe internally. Anyway, presumably the central heating is gas and therefore a supply is required

Rick Graham 24 Jul 2022
In reply to Tringa:

> If possible find where the gas supply comes into the house and have it capped off as it enters the house, so if there are any leaks in the future the gas stays outside.

Not good if the boiler is gas

Worth seeing if the gas fires need an electric supply to work, most gas boilers do. Frustrating in an electric power cut.

> Are these gas fires in fire places, ie there is a chimney and chimney breasts? If so, you could remove the the chimney breasts to give a bit more room, but its a big job requiring support for the upper floors and it how it might affect neighbours, if applicable, needs to be considered.

Depends on the house room sizes and location  but an open fire or wood burner is good for emergencies and can enhance the house value . Can just be for effect or occasional  use.

> I suggest needs to be done by someone who really knows what they are doing.

Hetas , gas safe or building control.

Jenny C 24 Jul 2022

We rarely used our gas fire and rarely didn't miss it.... until the boiler was playing up. 

We now have a wood burner, but for several years only had central heating and whilst the rare occasion it wasn't working was inconvenient, personally as someone who is young and mobile I'd sooner have the extra space. If I was elderly the reassurance of having an alternative heat source might be more worthwhile (especially if it can be lit by a match and used during a power cut), I'd only keep one though not both.

As mentioned above taking out chimney breasts really increases space in rooms, although it is incredibly messy.

Post edited at 18:38
OP elliot.baker 24 Jul 2022

This is all helpful thanks all - no chimney breast to consider in either room, just both flat walls. 

got a gas safe plumber and builder lined up to do it so happy with that side of things. 

I love the idea of a real fire but just not sure it would be the best use of resources at this time in our life (young family), and thing I’d rather use the space for (like more seating arrangement options etc.)

im getting the boiler serviced at the same time so will hopefully pre empt any broken central heating scenarios!! 

Jimbo C 24 Jul 2022

Sounds like the right decision. They are potentially useful if you want to leave the central heating off and hunker down in one warm room, but up to 75% of the heat is going straight out of the flue anyway

Post edited at 19:58
 CurlyStevo 24 Jul 2022
In reply to Jimbo C:

these modern glass fronted gas fires are more like 80% efficient IIRC.

Jimbo C 25 Jul 2022
In reply to CurlyStevo:

The enclosed stove type are much better, yes. Same with solid fuels too. 

girlymonkey 25 Jul 2022

We ditched ours several years ago now for similar reasons to yourself and haven't ever missed it. The extra space is so much better. 

Wimlands 25 Jul 2022

Hi,

the obvious potential problem is that the room is too cold without it and that the fire was put in to get the room up to temperature…

If there is a problem here are the radiators able to be upgraded.

oldie 25 Jul 2022

Moved to current house 28 years ago and had reconnected 2nd hand gas fire in backroom in case of electricity cuts. Never once needed to use it in anger. I 

doubt if the old unlined chimney serving it would be acceptable today.

Tringa 25 Jul 2022
In reply to oldie:

A wood burner or a multi-fuel stove is a nice item and ours really churns out the heat when needed.

However, and this depends where you live in the country, we haven't had ours(in the very mild south east) on for at least three years. The winters just haven't been cold enough.

Dave 

LastBoyScout 25 Jul 2022

You may end up with a visible stub of gas pipe that's in an awkward place, but may be worth leaving as a reminder before you (or new owners) drill through the wall/floor in the future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...