Recycling old computer discs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 26 Jan 2020

Doing a bit of clearing out and came upon about 2 dozen 3.5" discs from way back. Are these recyclable? Might anyone still want them? Are they just landfill? Also have loads of old leads which fit I don't know what. Any special advice on these would be welcome. I hate just putting things in the trash bin.

Jack B 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Some folks are really into restoring old computers, and might want the floppies. There's also a collection of old hardware in labs and factories which has aged better than the built-in computer, and the people responsible for running them often need disks to get the data over to something newer. Stick them on eBay £10 for the lot untested and see if anyone bites - probably not going to leave you with much money after postage but beats binning them. As with any storage medium, have a think if there is any personal data on them first.

Can't think of anything to do with the leads if they aren't identified.

elsewhere 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Cables - your local council recycling depot, the copper is worth recycling.

Mark Edwards 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

There may be people at a vintage computer forum that I visit that could use them. Put a post on there and see if anyone bites.

https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=45

Dave the Rave 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Mark Edwards:

Bytes

Mark Edwards 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

0.72 or 1.44 MB? Have a like.

elsewhere 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Mark Edwards:

> There may be people at a vintage computer forum that I visit that could use them. Put a post on there and see if anyone bites.

Lots of brands I haven't seen for 35-40 years!

Snyggapa 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I donated mine to the nerds in the office to use as retro coffee cup place mats. There was nearly a fight over who would have the windows 3.1 printer driver disk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...