Recommend some toys for an 16 month old (and me!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 27 Jul 2020

Due to working from home and generally not going out as much I find myself playing with my 18 month old's toys (with him, of course!) a lot more. 

The favourite's got to be the mega-bloks but I think we've built nearly every permutation of tower, castle, bridge, pyramid, Arc de Triomphe, farm, stable, house that you can think of!

I think he's probably too young for a proper train set (maybe I could get him a wooden one?)

Any fun recommendations that will keep me entertained while I play with him / the toys!??

Also built dens, a cube out of those interlocking floor mats... rice crispie cakes, playing with water outside is another favourite when it's not raining.

Next time I can get to B&Q I'm going to buy a long thick dowel(s) and make a teepee out of a sheet.

Tringa 27 Jul 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

Buy anything you like online as long as it is really big. It will come in a big cardboard box and then you'll have the start of all manner of things.

Dave

PS Alternatively, you could order almost anything from Amazon and you'll get a big box 

LastBoyScout 27 Jul 2020

Duplo is much better than MegaBloks - they do various train sets (and planes, and animals, etc) - perfect age group.

Wooden jigsaws and Pop-up Pirate?

Get a WeeRide and go out for bike rides?

Fredt 27 Jul 2020

My two grandkids would recommend, Brio trains, Duplo (with trains) and Magnatiles.

(I don't get it with Magnatiles, but they love them)

wbo2 27 Jul 2020
In reply to elliot.bakeruplo.

Brio trains as well, but they're really expensive   They're also fully compitable with the Ikea ones though that re a much more friendly price.

marsbar 27 Jul 2020

If you are going to b and q you could get some bits and build him a "busy board"

Loads of ideas here

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/732186851888684684/?%24ios_deeplink_path=pi...

Also called sensory boards 

https://www.learningandexploringthroughplay.com/2015/03/diy-sensory-board-f...

Post edited at 11:37
 Herdwickmatt 27 Jul 2020
In reply to Fredt:

Magnatiles! Amazing, particularly when matched with figures/playmobile characters. Loads of creative play.

I’d second the big box recommendations. Loads of things to build/play with

OP elliot.baker 27 Jul 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I've been desperate to take him out on a bike ride but I only have a full susser (Kona Process 134 DL 2014 model) or a road bike - I'm not sure either would be suitable for a bike seat would they?

What's the best kind of bike to go around gravel paths etc. with a child seat?

Absolutely loving all these suggestions definitely going to invest in some Duplo and wooden railway.

wintertree 27 Jul 2020

Check out a company called “Big Jigs” for wooden railway parts that are solid and toddler friendly; their two-part bridge was a big hit here.

Toerag 27 Jul 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Duplo is much better than MegaBloks - they do various train sets (and planes, and animals, etc) - perfect age group.

They also stick together much better. We got all ours from the charity shop for a significant saving on shop prices.

Also, if you have a lawn get some curved bamboos from the garden centre, some clothes pegs and a sheet to make a tunnel or dome 'tent'

Ours kids really enjoyed their 'colour doodle' erasable drawing thingy. My son is into toy cars.  Brio/bigJigs is good, but kids that age get bored relatively quickly as they can't do the building part and can only play. The tunnel which makes owl noises is a favourite and not too annoying.

Marbles are good.  Noisy toys with batteries are bad.

LastBoyScout 27 Jul 2020

> I've been desperate to take him out on a bike ride but I only have a full susser (Kona Process 134 DL 2014 model) or a road bike - I'm not sure either would be suitable for a bike seat would they?

> What's the best kind of bike to go around gravel paths etc. with a child seat?

> Absolutely loving all these suggestions definitely going to invest in some Duplo and wooden railway.

WeeRide should fit on a Process, unless you've got a fancy dropper post. The carrier bolts between the headset and the seat post. Downside is you have to drop the saddle and might have to pedal like John Wayne, but my little one loved it. Can also be an issue with feet catching the tops of suspension forks if you've got a short head tube, but I got it on my wife's bike ok. Road bike you'll probably be too hunched over him.

Otherwise, it's an excuse to get a hybrid, which is what I did (2nd hand), or hard tail MTB, which also has the possibility of a rear seat.

Should have mentioned Brio and another vote for BigJigs wooden toys - mine have a 3-layer dinosaur puzzle which they love.

mick taylor 27 Jul 2020

Re: Brio....I'd ask on here for any free stuff (for a donation?), attics are full of it.  Parents seem to want to keep hold of it so they can use it when they get grandchildren, but I'm sure many would gladly donate.  

Fredt 27 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> Re: Brio....I'd ask on here for any free stuff (for a donation?), attics are full of it.  Parents seem to want to keep hold of it so they can use it when they get grandchildren, but I'm sure many would gladly donate.  

Remember that wood is more hygienic as it possesses anti-bacterial properties, much more so than plastic, so don't have qualms about second hand wood, just needs a wipe down.

philipivan 27 Jul 2020

Knex and especially duplo popular from toddler and still used at 5 and 6. Also those generic wooden train sets and lots of books, I like dr suess

Greenbanks 27 Jul 2020

As above - another vote for Brio and its more modestly priced copies...

Sealwife 27 Jul 2020

If you can find it for sale anywhere, Cranium Superfort is brilliant fun and will be played with for years.  My kids also all loved aquadraw mats when they were little.

Trangia 27 Jul 2020

I definitely recommend an electric train set, OK he's a bit young but what an opportunity for him to learn from watching you build and run it. Far too good an opportunity for you, I mean him, to miss. And you can practice with it in the evenings after he's gone to bed, even invite some of your mates around to help out over a few beers. Go for it! You know it makes sense

LastBoyScout 29 Jul 2020

Have you seen Squigz? My sister bought them for my 2 and they are good fun - including in the bath:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Folkmanis-50018-Squigz-Toy-Pack/dp/B00BSYIUQI/ref=...

Also available elsewhere in various packs

Baron Weasel 29 Jul 2020

Cam's, kids love cam's, especially totem cam's! 

Joez 29 Jul 2020

You could try the Shotgun kids seat, fits any MTB. Not cheap though.

Si dH 29 Jul 2020

My son (nearly 3 now) loves playing with my old briomec railway set whenever we visit my mum. He has done since he was 18-24 months. He also emjoys playing with an old wooden Meccano set that I had when I was 5 or 6. Although it's obviously aimed at older ages, he can still play with it and stick basic bits together, which he enjoys doing and pretending his creation looks like a snake. And if me or my mum build him a tractor or a plane he loves it.

At home we have lots of Duplo as well as various otherpother vehicles, diggers etc. There are some good vehicle based Duplo sets that he loves but they aren't so good for creativity, more for role play. His favourite toy is still a push/sit on truck with a space to store stuff under the seat that we bought him for his first birthday.

Post edited at 21:22

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...