Recommend me a car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BattyMilk 01 Jun 2021

Someone rear ended me yesterday and looks like the car will be a write off. It was a 2015 1.5 mini 5 door. I absolutely loved the thing. Great fun to drive and economical with a huge sunroof. Only downside was the obvious, on the rare occasions we needed to carry a load of stuff it was a bit small (a trip to Wales with 2 passengers, a driver, camping  and climbing gear left a passenger covered in bags). 

We also live in the country now and need to drive half a mile along a rough gravel track to get to the road with the mini didn’t like.

Once the insurance comes through and we’ve topped up a few grand from our savings we’ll be looking to spend between 9-12k. What would you recommend?

Needs to be

- economical (cheap to run, tax and insure)

- reliable (ideally low mileage)

- fun

- a bit roomier

- Able to attach a roof rack for bikes (bonus points for Kayaks which are on the horizon)

Bonus points for:

-apple car play

-big sunroof 

- reverse beeps and/or camera

Countryman fit the bill to satiate my want for another mini?

Post edited at 16:14
 Blue Straggler 01 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Will a Countryman deal with the rough track better? 

Neil Williams 01 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Clearly the rule is that a Skoda Octavia estate is the correct answer for any automotive need, isn't it?

(Disclaimer; I've never driven one)

OP BattyMilk 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

It’s got an extra inch of ground clearance over the regular mini. The mini still got down it but at a crawl

Tony Buckley 01 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Generally, it's best to start by assuming the answer is a VW Golf, and then adjust to demands and circumstances.

In this case, that appears to be either a Golf MV or a Skoda Yeti.

T.

Tony Buckley 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Sorry, Golf SV.

Tom Valentine 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

I'm on my fourth and a Scout will fulfil all his needs, added to which a grown up can sleep in the back, which is the superceded Yeti's shortfall.

Blue Straggler 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I was thinking Scout but kept quiet as I have never even been inside one  

Stichtplate 01 Jun 2021

> I was thinking Scout but kept quiet as I have never even been inside one  

...honestly your honour.

Run_Ross_Run 01 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Skoda Yeti

No need to thank me.

elliot.baker 01 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

I would put Apple Carplay in the essential pile with wheels / doors / steering wheel / brakes

Dave Ferguson 01 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104020899580?advertising-locati...

I'm on my 2nd, never had so much fun for such little money and 50mpg too. I don't do apple though, that is a waste of money!

ianstevens 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

Are you the OPs local mechanic in disguise?

Nic Barber 02 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

If you want low mileage then look for dealers that do ex-motability cars. In the last year I've got a 2017 Nissan Qashqai (6000 miles) and a Peugeot Tepee campervan, both ex-motability. Paid a bit of a premium for both as good, trusted local dealer (2-man band jobs), but the Qashqai wasn't too far off your price range, and I plan for it to last 12-15 years and be the last ICE car I buy.

Post edited at 08:36
 Timmd 02 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

How about a small Toyota 4x4 estate car?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/2013-toyota-rav4-d-4d-invincible-awd-estat...

It's probably not as sporty as the Mini though.

Post edited at 14:42
 Blue Straggler 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

You recommending a diesel? 

Bob Bennett 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

Bought an Octavia Estate this Xmas and reckon its the best car I  have owned. They are good value , economical and roomy. The only downside on the model (19 plate) was lack of spare tyre which I had to purchase separately. Some older models do come with a spare.

sxrxg 04 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Peugeot 2008? Gt line trim has carplay, reversing camera, panoramic sunroof, 130bhp petrol should be fun enough, 50mpg combined cycle, small SUV so should deal with the track better, roof bars for bikes/kayaks. Can get a low mileage 2-3 year old car in budget. 

JohnO1978 04 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Bennett:

The spare wheel issue can be a nightmare with the Octavia or any other car for that matter. I got a sidewall puncture in mine once and the only solution was a tow home. 

Current car is an Volvo XC60 and I made sure I put down spare wheel as an added extra when I chose the make and model etc. 

Timmd 05 Jun 2021

> You recommending a diesel? 

Good point, if you mean re the air quality. It's second hand, though, it may a trade off between keeping something with resources already used in creating it, and other environmental considerations.

It's more of a 'vague suggestion' than a recommendation on the whole.

Post edited at 12:42
 Timmd 05 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd: 'Keeping something going' that should be. 

Blue Straggler 05 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> 'Keeping something going' that should be. 

The OP is already talking about a used car 

walts4 05 Jun 2021

Why so many?

Is your annual mileage so astronomically high or they break ?

Blue Straggler 06 Jun 2021
In reply to walts4:

if he’s always buying second hand and the model has been around 20 years, it’s not unreasonable. I am on my ninth car in 22 years 

In reply to walts4:

also could be reasons beyond your suggestion like selling on or passing on a good one cheap to a friend or relative and getting a better specimen for yourself. Your post seems awfully judgemental 

Timmd 06 Jun 2021

So that's alright then.

ben b 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Dave Ferguson:

Brother-in-law had the 147 GTA, the 3.6l/250bhp one.

Fun to drive when it worked.

Radio system *never* worked at all. Electric windows would wind themselves down for no obvious reason (can give quite a fright on the motorway). Looked beautiful, drank fuel, randomly activated / deactivated electronic circuits on a whim. The full Alfa experience.

Meanwhile, we bought our first Octavia in 2003, dad bought his first in 2005, then his second in 2016, we bought another one in 2016, and a 4WD Superb estate last year. The Alfa was more fun (although the Superb goes like a rocket when in Sport mode) but we usually arrive at our destination without quite the same frisson of uncertainty over the outcome

b

In reply to Timmd:

> So that's alright then.

Why were you specifically recommending that the OP consider a diesel fuelled vehicle? 

ben b 06 Jun 2021

Cheap, available, economical for now. Will be obsoleted or taxed to oblivion at some stage but for quite a few people it’s still a good choice currently. That’s my guess any way.

You are coming across a little curt online, by the way. 

b

In reply to ben b:

> You are coming across a little curt online, by the way. 

I disagree. I am being brief but there is no rudeness about it. I asked Timmd some straightforward reasonable questions especially in light of a lot of comments about pollution that he's made elsewhere on forums, and made reasonable points in reply to walts4.

Post edited at 11:01
 Tom Valentine 06 Jun 2021
In reply to walts4:

Octavia Kombi Mk1 1.6 bought second hand, ran trouble free for three years. Came into some money so bought

Octavia Kombi Mk2 2.0 TSi 4x4 new. Drove for two years then traded in for 

Octavia Kombi Mk2 2.0 PD 4x4 demonstrator. Drove for 110, 000 miles/9 years. Traded in for

Octavia Kombi Mk2 2.0 CR Scout with 45, 000 on clock. 

So I've owned 4 Octavias  over 17 years. Changing a car every four or five years doesnt seem excessive to me. Main "breakages" were wheel bearing on car 2 ( warranty) and  clutch / dual mass flywheel on car three. And I'm not sure what the previous owner of my current car got up to but I've had to replace all 4 springs  at different times.

walts4 06 Jun 2021

Cheers for the information.

My only scout owning friend is still on the same one, after I think 13 years, with no issues but I think a lot lower annual mileage total.

Tom Valentine 06 Jun 2021
In reply to walts4:

My mileage has dropped quite a lot so I intend to make this one last. My CD player is acting up so I've just pulled the fuse out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...