Recommend a campervan conversion south yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 02 Jan 2020

Hi. Can anyone recommend a company for converting a panel van to a camper? We live in Sheffield so anywhere in the South Yorkshire / North Derbyshire area would be fine. I think we've probably got about £9 - 10,000 for the conversion itself so possibly looking at the more basic side of things after taking into consideration the pop top roof.

Many thanks

kevin stephens 02 Jan 2020
In reply to ralphio:

Kestrel Van Conversions in Barnsley did a brilliant conversion on our VW T5 . Joe Bishop will work with you to design a custom layout to meet your needs. High quality work and reasonable price. We have recommended to friends who have also been very pleased

http://kestrelvanconversions.co.uk/

Jon Stewart 02 Jan 2020
In reply to ralphio:

There's a guy in Tideswell who's good value. He built me a custom boot-jump with cushions and whatnot for £1k.

http://peakvanconversions.weebly.com/

Post edited at 10:11
 Dark-Cloud 02 Jan 2020
In reply to laurie:

My god they need to sort their fridge install out, that spoils the look of the conversion massively, have they never heard of a flush mount kit ?

Dark-Cloud 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

hmmm OK, a dislike for pointing out something is not really how the rest of the industry does things, just for reference, this is what i was referring to, flush mount kit for fridges, looks better don't you think ?

https://vanworx.co.uk/pf/westbay-swb-6th-dec-2019/

robal 03 Jan 2020
In reply to ralphio:

Avoid Lazy Leasure Campers in Sheffield, his work is not built to last/ be durable, simple things like not using heat resistant adhesives on any headlinings carpets etc, meaning they come off or sag. The door cards and blinds have also fallen off...

His wiring is insane and doesnt work, fuses hidden all over the shop and everything is push fit and so inevitably comes loose, so you're constantly chasing electrical faults.

The pop top he uses also creates a constant draft down the back of your neck.

Also his pricing is all over the place and when asked for a break down of costs and spec of what was being installed in order to understand where our money was being spent and where we could upgrade/downgrade to get the finish we wanted he refused. Also suprise additional charges popped up for things like spraying the pop top, this was usually discussed after there was no point of return, such as the roof had already been cut out.....

The final kick in the nuts was he delivered the van with a burn in the carpet, with the promise to replace it, i took it back to him and he refused but offered to do it if i paid him more.

I can recommend taking a look at Vamoose, they have fixed some of the problems with the van we have, i  wish we had gone with them, mainly because of their roof but we had a recomendation so went with that and low and behold their van is also falling to pieces....

laurie 03 Jan 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Hi mate

I don't know nothing about them. They are converting my brothers van. He appears happy with them so fair. It was only a name recommendation, cant comment on their overall work but they appear to be a reputable company.

Cheers

loz

josh12345 04 Jan 2020
In reply to ralphio:

have a look at https://www.theplyguys.co.uk

based on the edge of Sheffield, its nice stuff.

Note: the owner of the ply guys is a mate and I've worked with him in the past, in a previous job. Having stayed in his own camper i was very impressed at the set up but I've no personal experience of his products beyond that.

Post edited at 10:23
 Donotello 05 Jan 2020
In reply to ralphio:

Seems like most of the recommendations in here are just the first company that comes to peoples mind, not a company they’ve any real experience with, classic problem of asking on the net! People just recommend their mates companies. I would perhaps look to youtube for company reviews, and try and find people who aren’t reviewing them straight out the workshop. 

Also is it me or is £9000-£10,000 an insane amount of money for a conversion?? My 2015 VW van didn’t even cost that much. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...