Recipe. Thank me later

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Deadeye 13 Jan 2020

Ok, ok, so I haven't eaten for 24 hours, but this is worth sharing:

"Cup" of wild rice, cooked, cooled

"Cup of brown rice, cooked cooled

Handful of shelled, unsalted pistachios (to be honest, salted would be fine IMO)

Some lettuce, shredded (or no lettuce if it's not around)

Some tomatoes, diced (ditto)

Some cucumber, diced (ditto)

Dill - big handful, chopped

Coriander, big handful, chopped (or parsley believe it or not)

Handful broad beans or soya ("edamame", what's that all about?) beans, cooked 2'

Handful peas, brought to boil (no more)

Zest and juice of a lemon

Optional half an avocado, chopped

Squidge of decent olive oil; bonus for chilli oil if yoiu like that kind of thing

Stir it all up.

Season

Enjoy.

daWalt 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

Hunger is the best sauce - clearly.

Bacon Butty 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

Sounds like Special Fried rice, but without the good bits

In reply to Deadeye:

Avocados are the devil's pustules.  I shan't be squeezing any.

T.

Deadeye 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

Gosh.  Three replies and three "No, thank you very much"s.  (Or rather, more, "No, F*ck off"s but, hey, this is UKC and you live by the sword etc.)

Leave out the avocado then.  It's bog-all like fried rice.  Hunger *always* helps.  It's nice.  Have a go.

BnB 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

That's basically a recipe for Tabbouleh once you swap the rice for the (much better in a salad) bulgur wheat, and your herbs for mint. I happen to think Tabbouleh is delicious, so you're on the right track. But the original is better and a thousand years older.

Jon Stewart 13 Jan 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

Put lots of mackerel in to make it a lot nicer?

toad 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

I’d make your  lemon and oil into a “proper” dressing, rather than pouring it in and mixing up, and whilst you’re at it, anything with lemon needs salt! I’m not convinced by dill and coriander, either, but I’m not a big fan of lots of uncooked coriander unless there are other strong flavours lurking there. I reckon it needs something more than the pistachios in terms of a less soft texture. Croutons? Otherwise this sort of thing can be a bit mushy ( but that’s because I’d leave out the cucumber, cos I hate it!)

Tom Valentine 14 Jan 2020
In reply to BnB:

I use buckwheat in tabbouleh. Infact, I use it anywhere I can.

Dax H 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

I'm noticing a distinct lack of bacon. 

Timmd 14 Jan 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

> Gosh.  Three replies and three "No, thank you very much"s.  (Or rather, more, "No, F*ck off"s but, hey, this is UKC and you live by the sword etc.)

> Leave out the avocado then.  It's bog-all like fried rice.  Hunger *always* helps.  It's nice.  Have a go.

The internet/UKC can be a cold and harsh place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...