Recent wildlife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 22 Sep 2020

Had some excellent autumnal mornings. Even this morning, which was calm and misty, was great. Saw a buzzard being mobbed by two cartoon crows - interesting photo. And HUGE flicks of linnet and goldfinch - over 500 perched on wires and taking it in turns to feed of rapeseed. 

Post edited at 14:55

mick taylor 22 Sep 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Barley has been harvested, so roe deer moving about more visibly. The farmer has sold up (rumour is for over £6 mill) and doing dairy so don’t know how this will impact wildlife. Big flock of gills following the plough. And seem skeins if punk feet every morning, other than this morning when I could only hear them. 

mick taylor 22 Sep 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

About 85 in this skein. Also seen a snipe, kingfisher, quite a few Chiffchaffs about as well. 

In reply to mick taylor:

A grand Sunday. Saw two basking sharks and a pod of porpoises from Tarbet Ness then a pine marten ambled across the rental house patio. 

mick taylor 22 Sep 2020
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

Excellent.  Never seen a pine martin.

aln 22 Sep 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Do you know Kinghorn in Fife? We were sitting eating our fish suppers at the Carousel car park the other night and the gannets were feeding. Some excellent displays of synchronised diving. This is also a great spot for watching dolphins, porpoises and whales.

And last week at Croy beach in Ayrshire we saw swans surfing! Never seen this behaviour before. 

Post edited at 17:19
mick taylor 22 Sep 2020
In reply to aln:

I’ll pay it a visit next time I’m up there. 

malk 23 Sep 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

was lucky to see two noisy skeins flying south over summits of Carn a' Chlamain and Cairn of Claise last week - presumably pink-footed geese wintering in east scotland?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vLmDqSpSqAMGbbr88
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9Z8VYufLDX4wRwLM9

Post edited at 12:56
 Derry 23 Sep 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Saw my first clouded yellows this weekend gone. and with the weather report, perhaps my last for the year too.

In reply to mick taylor:

Laying peanut butter and jam sandwiches to get it back and have borrowed some camera traps from work, we seem to have a hedgehog too 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...