recent wildlife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 10 Jul 2020

Great view of a Barn Owl earlier this morning, think it caught a rat?  Bought a new lens, the owl was a good distance away so was lucky to get such a good shot.  Roe Deer galore, good views of foxes.  Looking forward to some nice weather !!

mick taylor 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

This was the fox, trying to have a snooze

mick taylor 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Comma butterfly, between rainshowers

mick taylor 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Farmer didn't sow his seed, so to speak, so wild flowers galore and loads of chamomile.  

Darron 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Lovely pics. Have you seen the reports of Lammergeier in the Peak? Also reading about re introducing wild Bison into a wood in Kent!

mick taylor 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Darron:

> Lovely pics. Have you seen the reports of Lammergeier in the Peak? Also reading about re introducing wild Bison into a wood in Kent!

No, but I would love to.  Looks amazing and a mega birding tick.  I took a firm decision to not travel anywhere, been to see my mum once (got Leukemia) coz I do meet quite a few people in my work and my wife teaches so thought 'not worth the risk'.  I know my local patch inside out, and have plans to make a hide and get some deer photo's.  

Jenny C 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Excellent views last night of Rattus Norvegicus sitting on the bird table in broad daylight. Lovely fat individual with cute face but a slight bald spot at base of tail.

Bird feeders now removed and Sparrows will have to fend for themselves for a while

Gone for good 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Cracking pictures!! Keep them coming. 

Sl@te Head 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Four kingfishers yesterday

Sadly can't post any photos as I'm not a paid up UKC Supporter

mick taylor 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Nice one. Was fishing once and one landed 15 feet away. And I once found a kingfishers wing on the mudflats at Morecambe Bay - Merlin food I reckon. 
Always good to see a kingfisher, a ‘wow’ bird

mick taylor 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Carrion Crow, also this morning.  I liked the way it was grasping hold of the dead branches.

mick taylor 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

And also this morning, early.  To the left are houses and I was 30 feet from a main road into Wigan.

David Riley 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Not recent. But was surprised to see a kingfisher over the sea in Malta.

deepsoup 10 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Wow, you get a lot of great photos.

> Always good to see a kingfisher, a ‘wow’ bird

A youtube link for you - some amazing semi-pro footage of kingfishers, and a word of advice about how to get photos and film of your own. 

The whole film is well worth watching, as are all the other 'Beluga Lagoon' films for anyone who's not seen them before, but the bit I'm on about starts 10 minutes in to this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=fn0ojOOb-Gc&t=600

Post edited at 12:29
mick taylor 10 Jul 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Excellent link, thanks.  Will watch more of them.

LeeWood 11 Jul 2020
In reply to David Riley:

> Not recent. But was surprised to see a kingfisher over the sea in Malta.

How do kingfishers hunt at sea ? - there are no (rarely !) tree branches to fish from

LeeWood 11 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> Carrion Crow, also this morning.  I liked the way it was grasping hold of the dead branches.

Nice. I nearly ran over a hoopoe - down on the tarmac. Lovely flashes of black n white as they fly.

Are UKC photos supposed to expand when I click on them ? Maybe my settings are wrong - popups ?

cb294 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Darron:

Since about ten years there are wild Bison near where I currently work in Germany, halfway between Frankfurt and Ruhr area. One herd in an enclosure, and one herd roaming free.

The animals in the enclosure are impressive enough, but so far I have failed to locate the wild herd, even though I came across a recently trampled meadow on my mountainbike where I must have missed them by a couple of hours. They can be suprisingly invisible for such big animals!

Best chance to find them, though, is winter, when they can be stationary on some harvested fields. They do not normally release the location of the wild herd, but it pays off to see which local roads are suddenly closed. Better luck in November, I hope!

The area is also the only place in Germany with official "attention, bison crossing" road signs!

For the last proper free herds you have to go to Bialowiecza NP in Eastern Poland, but I did not get lucky there either.

CB

mick taylor 11 Jul 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

Yes, mine expand

Dave Todd 11 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Very excited to see two Yellowhammer on our feeder in the back garden (Sheffield S7).  First one was a juvenile - which was making a positive ID quite tricky.  Then the adult arrived on the feeder and the mystery was solved!

First time we've seen them in the back garden.

squarepeg 11 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Counted 9 or 10 bumblebees (mainly small ones) in my back garden in Yorkshire this afternoon.

Michael Hood 12 Jul 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

> How do kingfishers hunt at sea ? - there are no (rarely !) tree branches to fish from

They obviously need fairly still water to see what's down there so man made breakwaters near beaches provide a suitable location on the landward side, lots of little fishes mooching around there as well.

Michael Hood 12 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Re: your deer photo - coming back up the A1 last Monday there was a deer under the trees on the verge of the A1(M) bit near Peterborough. It had white spots, does that mean it's a Fallow deer?

In reply to mick taylor:

Working up by dundonnell and got a lovely view of a ring ouzel family, then got a flypast of a golden Eagle, maybe 30m away. 

mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

I reckon so

mick taylor 12 Jul 2020
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

Great stuff. Posted on here a while back - I had a golden eagle fly past - ten feet away, freaked me out a bit. In Norway as I was setting up a belay. 

deepsoup 13 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> .. wild flowers galore and loads of chamomile.  

No wildlife as such, but here's another field full of poppies (and some wheat).

malk 13 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

nice footage of the vulture yesterday: youtube.com/watch?v=SLGKhNaRSCg&

mick taylor 13 Jul 2020
In reply to malk:

Wow !!

aln 14 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I last week I saw a Great Northern Diver at Limekilns in Fife. In a wee quiet bay, 10 yards from the shore. 

In reply to mick taylor:

Saw that one, that will stick in the memory eh! 

jalapeno 16 Jul 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Was out sea kayaking from Pwllgwaelod (North Pembrokeshire) the other evening and spotted a Black Guillemot. Apparently there is a small group of them around Fishguard, thought to be the most southerly in the UK, unless anyone knows different?

It flew before I could get to the camera, unfortunately.   

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...