Reaching Out...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 24 Oct 2019

I'm getting a bit p'eed off by the increasing number of people associated with my work, or the services/utilities I use, telling me that they're 'reaching out' to me. What is this? Should I be worried? Flattered? Ask how much they want? Feel a bit bilious at the unctious language?

Or is it just another naff illustration of an attempt to personalise? I do find it quite vomit-inducing tbh.

Post edited at 15:36
Removed User 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

I agree - my preference is for a reach around.

Tom Valentine 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Are you sure they're reaching out to yourself?

Robert Durran 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

>What is this? 

It is a ubiquitous American expression which has really taken root here, I think in just the last few months. Horrible.

I wonder what sort of person it is that imports this sort of stuff.

JLS 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

>"Feel a bit bilious at the unctious language?"

Can I just take this opportunity to reach out to you with and offer of some support with the spelling of unctuous...?

As an unread dyslexic myself, I had to reach out to dictonary.com for some help with meanings for both bilious and unctuous.

Thanks, for reaching out with this thread; it’s been educational.

Rigid Raider 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Yes my brother in Michigan uses this expression all the time. Horrible - what's wrong with "contacting"?

OP Greenbanks 24 Oct 2019
In reply to JLS:

Thanks. Bang to rights. That kind of sloppiness deserves the rebuke. I don't tolerate it in others. Anyway, more's to the point, is that 3 points on my UKC licence, or am I being pulled over for a friendly word...?

JLS 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Stay in your vehicle sir, while I check your punctuation and grammar.

When did you last check that near side front phrase, “bang to rights”? It looks a bit non past tense to me. 

Post edited at 16:50
 felt 24 Oct 2019
In reply to JLS:

> dictonary.com

Top satire!

JLS 24 Oct 2019
In reply to felt:

Ha! If only I could take credit. No, I really am a bit dyslexic.

SenzuBean 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Just you wait until they want to 'double click' on something with you.

Fruitbat 24 Oct 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

Can we talk off-line about this?

SenzuBean 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

> Can we talk off-line about this?

How could I forget that one!

Dave B 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

They're after a bit of love and conquering. 

Hooo 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

I don't mind talking off-line myself. I refuse to reach out to anyone though. As in literally refuse. If someone asks me if I can reach out to someone, then I say "No, but I'll give them call". Anyone who misuses "bandwidth" will also get sarcastic response from me.

They probably all hate me at work.

Dax H 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

I just did some googling to try find the origin but didn't really come up with anything. 

I first heard it in US prison films / series and I wonder if it started with convicts reaching outside of the prison via associates to carry on their criminal activities. 

Languages have always changed and evolved, unfortunately it seems that over the last decade the change has just been to parrot whatever the American TV shows do and say. 

pasbury 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Isn't reaching out what you in the middle of the night to find the bloody pull cord for the bathroom light when your bladder's about to explode?

GerM 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

I'm sure many will have seen it before, but it feels appropriate.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Attachment-1.png

Fruitbat 24 Oct 2019
In reply to pasbury:

The only people that should be reaching out are The Four Tops.

Deadeye 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

> The only people that should be reaching out are The Four Tops.

And Joan Armatrading

Blue Straggler 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

> The only people that should be reaching out are The Four Tops.

On a late 1980s Right Guard deodorants t advert 

Chris_Mellor 24 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Well ... I quite like the expression 'reach out' as a variation on contact. And I quite like the expression 'lighten up' too.

marsbar 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

And Depeche Mode.  

john arran 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

IIRC Reaching Out originally was a cry for help, a request for special consideration or for charity. As such it earned its place in our language.

Once its usage became diluted to the point of meaning simply 'contact' or even 'ask', its value in language plummeted. Now it's right up there with 'at this moment in time' as an overly grandiose way of saying something there are shorter and better ways to say.

Flinticus 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

Isn't the phrase 'take this offline'

Hooo 25 Oct 2019
In reply to GerM:

We actually had that printed out and stuck on the wall in the office. People still did it though, and I'm pretty sure they were never in the Four Tops.

Dave B 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave B:

> They're after a bit of love and conquering. 

Bloody autocorrect. 

Comfort! Not conquer! 

Yanis Nayu 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

I loathe it. That and “impacted”. 

Fruitbat 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> Isn't the phrase 'take this offline'

Both are probably used.

I heard "Can we talk offline about this." from someone in a meeting who used it to mean the topic would be discussed in private after the meeting.

Dave Garnett 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

> >What is this? 

> It is a ubiquitous American expression which has really taken root here, I think in just the last few months. Horrible.

> I wonder what sort of person it is that imports this sort of stuff.

People like me probably.  I spend most of my time working with US colleagues and though I fight against it I'm sure occasionally forget which language I'm using.  Please let me know if you notice me using it here.

Fruitbat 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Don't worry, we'll inbox you if we see you using awful expressions.

Dave Garnett 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

The ones I consciously avoid are 'momentarily' meaning 'soon', 'looks like' meaning 'looks as if', 'push back' meaning 'resist' and all references to tables because that's genuinely confusing (in US usage, 'tabling' or putting something on the table, means it's a subject not for discussion at this meeting).

By way of resistance, when I receive a particularly jargon-rich email, I respond by conspicuously avoiding ending a sentence with a preposition.  That shows them.

Post edited at 10:43
 mullermn 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

Here’s one I find quite irrationally irritating.. “this is for your own safety”. 

One example - I’ve just received a group email at work reminding people that “all colleagues should be displaying their ID pass at all times - this is for your own safety”. How does me wearing a badge improve my safety? Are there snipers preparing to pick off those without one? Does it transform in to a floatation aid if I fall in deep water?

What they normally mean is that if we all comply with whatever the policy is it improves our mutual safety. Why can’t they just say that?

OP Greenbanks 25 Oct 2019
In reply to mullermn:

I agree. I've never wear an identifier - keep it in my pocket in case I need it/am asked for it. Amuses me seeing people in cafes, or on public transport, still wearing their badges. One possible correlate here is badge-wearing and local authority staff...but that's a very sujbective & personal observation

squarepeg 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

Run them up the flagpole and see what the big hitters make of them?

Alex@home 25 Oct 2019
In reply to Fruitbat:

And Paul Maddox 

(too obscure?)

Timmd 29 Oct 2019
In reply to squarepeg:

I know of somebody who (to not let corporate speak take root) used to reply to/send emails with documents attached - with them only containing the corporate speak they didn't like, if somebody had included 'blue sky thinking' in their document, they'd have it quoted back at them as 'Blue sky thinking?' and nothing else written. Long lunches or nice places to eat on expenses were fine, but corporate speak was Banned (the staff turn over was pretty low FWIW). 

Post edited at 22:33
 felt 30 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I spend most of my time working with US colleagues and though I fight against it I'm sure occasionally forget which language I'm using.  Please let me know if you notice me using it here.

UK: I'm sure I occasionally forget which language I'm using. 

US: I sure occasionally forget which language I'm using. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...