Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Loading Notifications...

Rainfall data

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

As a 'what to do at home' activity I am thinking of volunteering for this project alongside my other community ones.

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/edh/rainfall-rescue

Does anyone on this forum do it and how much work does it entail?

freeflyer 26 Mar 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Yes, I'm doing that.

It's no problem, you can do a few at a time, leave and come back etc. However you'll get sucked in by looking at the old records and end up spending longer than you planned. They're brilliant!

I was transcribing place names in Ireland and trying to make sure I had the names correct. However the grid references they put seemed to come out in the middle of the Celtic Sea when I plugged them into an online finder. No doubt my bad.

yorkshire_lad2 27 Mar 2020

I read about this, and wondered why they don't OCR the data first (especially as it's tabular already), then get volunteers either to check it, or to retype/edit/amend it.  Would make much better use of people's time and the technology available.  I imagine they have some inbuilt checking anyway, e.g. by getting two people to do the same sheet independently, then comparing the results, but OCR would help move things along a bit quicker?

Post edited at 10:05
 finc00 27 Mar 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Thats what I thought.
I'm currently learning python at the moment and it seems like it wouldnt be tooooooo hard to make a python script to automate it (for someone with more knowledge of the langauge than me atleast!)

Philip 27 Mar 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

They probably have, but you would need to validate the software so you need some manually input data to use as a reference.

If the manually entered material is ready before the OCR then they won't even finish the work.

Post edited at 10:59

I've done it a bit. As for doing digit recognition in Python or whatever, I suspect the accuracy is  higher if actual people do it. Perhaps a deep learning image recognition expert will correct me on that.

It's therapeutic just to do a few now and then.

I saw a fascinating undergrad presentation last year where they made use of data similarly transcribed from the logbooks of 19th century whaling ship captains.

freeflyer 27 Mar 2020

Email from the people hosting the project:

"new project Rainfall Rescue, which asks for your help to transcribe old weather records, has broken records, getting nearly half a million classifications in its first day."

freeflyer 27 Mar 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

> I was transcribing place names in Ireland and trying to make sure I had the names correct. However the grid references they put seemed to come out in the middle of the Celtic Sea when I plugged them into an online finder. No doubt my bad.

I think I have discovered the answer to this - they are using the Irish grid reference system:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_grid_reference_system

I was seeing references like IH230123 which made no sense, however assuming the "I" stands for "Irish" (since that letter doesn't exist in the classification system) you end up with H230123 - which works!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.