RAF training flights, Lakes area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 12 Jan 2022

Have the RAF made a NY resolution to get out more? The amount of low flying over my house seems much greater over the last few days.

If the number of flights is as much increased as I and some neighbours think, does this relate to heightened tensions around the world  such as Ukraine, Kazachstan, etc or are we just trying to impress the EU in a post Brexit world?

edit for typo

Post edited at 17:41
 climbingpixie 12 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I was out and about in the Coledale fells yesterday and was amazed at how many jets I saw/heard. Not being a Lakes resident I wasn't aware how frequently they take place but I'd never seen as many out as that before.

Post edited at 18:06
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Surely nothing to do with the EU (they aren't impressed by us, anyway, now); almost certainly to do with the Ukraine.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

(Further thought: Boris is probably champing at the bit now for some kind of Falklands-like distraction from his extreme home weakness.)

Paul at work 12 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Or is it more to do with the stable nicer weather? There may even be a big exercise or two on?

Ridge 12 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It's in preparation for the invasion of Scotland to seize Tom in Edinburgh's copy of 'Oliver's Army'.

wercat 12 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Cumbria is home to that rare thing an Electronic Warfare range (complete with accompanying potential enemy hardware on display to accompany the threat signals) - on a visit a few years ago we were told one of only 2 in Europe so that brings a lot of aircraft to the UK and in particular to Cumbria.   We heard on site ATC called by an inbound Harrier from miles away and it was most impressive to hear him roar overhead what seemed seconds later.

gld73 12 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I was in Wasdale yesterday and there were 3 or 4 passes of two jets over a couple of hours, heading down Wastwater. I was right at the summit of Great Gable for one of the passes, when the summit was in cloud and I couldn't see past a few metres. I thought it was going to be as noisy as the other occasions, but this was something else a whole magnitude greater - first time I've ever curled up in a ball with fingers in my ears like that at a summit! Don't know what height they were at, but it felt and sounded unbelievably close; my internal organs felt like they were vibrating weirdly, a bit like being close to an explosion and that feeling from the shock wave, except rather than one short blast this kept going for a few seconds.

Think I was still looking a bit wobbly and shell shocked a couple of minutes later when 2 guys reached the top and asked if I'd been up there for the low pass of the jet (.....there again, they might just have asked that because of the usual, er, 'windswept' hill-walking state of my hair ...)

Godwin 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Look at the timetables and see if they are flying outwith these. Compare timetables and see if there has been any change. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/operational-low-flying-training-....

Where they RAF, I have seen US up there, I think at the time they were F111s, I swear a pilot nodded to me, whilst IIRC I was on Glaramara, but the mists of time make things murky. 
Do US and other countries fly to the RAF timetables I wonder.

wbo2 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

There have been a lot of US F-15 training operations recently. 

Kalna_kaza 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Godwin:

The term used on the MOD website is "MOD sponsored air exercises" so I assume that can include other nations at the invitation of the UK.

I saw what appeared to be 3 F15s flying over the lakes yesterday. Vertical twin tail and carrying large external fuel tanks.

Having grown up within a couple of minutes flying time of RAF Spadeadam my school classes were regularly disrupted. Vain attempts by teachers to get the class to focus whilst foreign jets with exotic paint schemes screeched overhead often fell on deafened ears during large NATO exercises. 

r0b 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

We saw them a few times last week too

neilh 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Ridge:

Excellent, bring it on!

cb294 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Massive fighter traffick in Southern Germany as well. NATO displaying their toys over Ukraine is my guess. Unfortunately it is overcast, as there is something different than the usual Eurofighters from Neuburg about as well, but I can tell only from the engine sound.

CB

cb294 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Ridge:

Any excuse to post this:

youtube.com/watch?v=7xUYbI64QHI&

elliptic 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Had a day on the Skye ridge last August with several low passes by F-15 Eagles, an actual golden eagle (when the noise had subsided) and a floatplane landing on Loch Coruisk. Not a bad impromptu airshow!

neilh 13 Jan 2022
In reply to elliptic:

The F-15s at Lakenheath ( there are about 80 of them which are about to have an upgrade to F-35's. There is a mulit £billion investment going on there.

if you ever get the chance to drive nearby and watch them...its pretty awesome. I have had the pleasure of driving my car across the runway in between them taking off.The noise is unreal.

Albert Tatlock 13 Jan 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I swear a pilot nodded to me, whilst IIRC I was on Glaramara, but the mists of time make things murky. 

I am surprised he didn’t strafe you😉

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...