RAF low flying exercises, why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 08 Apr 2020

So I've seen 2 tornadoes and a hercules flying nr my house in the last hour at maybe 300m altitude. There's no nearby airbase to my part of South Lakes so not about to land or take off. 

Are war games essential? 

plyometrics 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Heard them pass earlier too, but didn’t get chance to see them. 

Assume training still must go on, although I’ve not seen the normal fighter jets around here for the duration of lockdown. 

Maybe the Hercules involvement was for transporting essential supplies during these strange times...?

Am sure there will be someone better informed than you or I along soon to provide a rational explanation. 

wintertree 08 Apr 2020

> Are war games essential? 

They're not "war games", they're pilot training.  

I would say keeping our pilots current is quite a high priority given the frequency with which Russian nuclear capable (and for all we know, nuclear armed) bombers are flying over towards Scotland.

Red Rover 08 Apr 2020

It's probably more important now than every seeing as we are at a vulnerable moment. 

mrphilipoldham 08 Apr 2020
In reply to wintertree:

I'm totally in favour of the low level training however this is completely the wrong reasoning. Russian bombers would have been sunk well before they ever got within sight of one of our green and pleasant valleys, and if one did sneak in, it wouldn't require a low level dogfight to dispose of it. 

Interestingly, our own military aircraft have a presence in the Baltic states with NATO, right on the Russian doorstep. I wonder if their concerned citizens have the same discussions?  

mondite 08 Apr 2020

I believe they have to get in so many flying hours a month to stay qualified. Arent tornadoes retired though?

There was supposed to be an artic exercise last month between multiple countries which got cancelled so suspect they have cut back a lot.

Bulls Crack 08 Apr 2020

I think they're doing high speed bog roll drops 

Bulls Crack 08 Apr 2020

And, like everyone else, they're allowed to exercise outdoors once a day

profitofdoom 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> And, like everyone else, they're allowed to exercise outdoors once a day

No. They're bombing people in groups of three or more. This government means business. You have been warned

I think it's particularly important that they show a 'presence' right now. As many times in the past the Russians have tested us by flying within our air space.

gravy 08 Apr 2020

They are acting as high speed drones to provide name-and-shame footage of people taking their dogs for a walk to outrage people on the evening news.

Removed User 08 Apr 2020

> So I've seen 2 tornadoes and a hercules flying nr my house in the last hour at maybe 300m altitude. There's no nearby airbase to my part of South Lakes so not about to land or take off. 

> Are war games essential? 

Haven't Tornadoes been withdrawn?

Could be someone's vintage private air force.

Wiley Coyote2 08 Apr 2020

Cumbrian Police do seem to have been particularly hard line.........

LastBoyScout 08 Apr 2020

Probably the perfect time to be training for low level exercises.

If anything goes wrong, the danger of hitting any innocent bystanders is currently greatly reduced.

Tom Valentine 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

I think the Luftwaffe are using them for a bit longer.

profitofdoom 08 Apr 2020

> So I've seen 2 tornadoes and a hercules flying nr my house in the last hour at maybe 300m altitude. There's no nearby airbase to my part of South Lakes so not about to land or take off. 

Probably ministers on their way to check on their second homes

Removed User 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I think the Luftwaffe are using them for a bit longer.

Could add to the blitz spirit!

summo 08 Apr 2020

> . There's no nearby airbase to my part of South Lakes so not about to land or take off. 

In a fast jet everywhere is nearby. 

tcashmore 08 Apr 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Probably ministers on their way to check on their second homes

Only happens in Scotland though. 

neilh 08 Apr 2020

Well the Russina are continuing probe uk airspace irrespective of the lockdown. I htink it was last week they sent a flotilla of ships through the English Channel.

So yes these things are critical.

Mr Lopez 08 Apr 2020

They are spreading the mind control chemicals now that commercial flights are no capable of doing in enough quantities due to their lack of flights.

Somebody's got to do it before more people catches up with the 5G covid plot of the shapeshifting lizards and the 'russians invading UK airspace' excuse stops being effective

Blanche DuBois 08 Apr 2020

> Are war games essential?

Nope.  And the Hawks who seem to think Russia is going to use the crisis as an excuse to nuke Scotland are idiotic.  Let's hope one positive outcome once this is over is that the relative values of an effective NHS with adequate redundancy versus a monstrously large defence capability are reassessed. 

Let the old white men driven dislikes and drivel commence.

wintertree 08 Apr 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> however this is completely the wrong reasoning

Disagree.

Low level flying involves practicing many different aspects of technical flying skill and mental discipline that are directly useful to any combat mission.

If we did have to shoot down one of these nuclear capable bombers that are regularly tickling our defences, do you think the pilots would have much spare time to get some low level practice flying in?

The country is in a weakened and vulnerable state.  Not a good time to let military readiness slip if you ask me.

Post edited at 15:18
 neilh 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Blanche DuBois:

Try telling that to the Russians at the moment, lol.

In reply to summo:

Hmm. I wonder which  jet capable airfields would be handiest for the Three Peaks.  There's one near Barmouth I've seen Hawks flying from.

Red Rover 08 Apr 2020

What on earth has race got to do with it? And why are you being racist? If you replace the word white with the word black then your post wouldn't read so well so don't do it. Nobody is suggesting Russia is about to nuke Scotland but if another country is probing your defences as Russia are then you have to be ready. Nobody is talking about war you just have to stand up to them, a bit like not letting the school bully steal your stuff. 

Post edited at 15:23
 Pefa 08 Apr 2020
In reply to neilh:

How what are the Russians going to do? 

In reply to wintertree:

Disagree all you like. The Russians have been probing our airspace with continued frequency since the Cold War. It's no worse now than it was in the 80s, or 90s. It's a game. One both sides play. 

"If we did have to shoot down one of these nuclear capable bombers that are regularly tickling our defences, do you think the pilots would have much spare time to get some low level practice flying in?"

That doesn't even make sense. If our pilots are regularly intercepting these 'threats' then how do they currently get low level practice flying in?

Post edited at 15:30
 NathanP 08 Apr 2020

You do know that the UK spends about 5x as much on the NHS as on Defence don't you?

wintertree 08 Apr 2020

> Disagree all you like. The Russians have been probing our airspace with continued frequency since the Cold War. It's no worse now than it was in the 80s, or 90s. It's a game. One both sides play. 

Yes I know that.  So now is hardy a time to show weakness in playing out part is it?  Let’s not stop honing and demonstrating our readiness.

> "If we did have to shoot down one of these nuclear capable bombers that are regularly tickling our defences, do you think the pilots would have much spare time to get some low level practice flying in?"

> That doesn't even make sense. 

Maybe you need to think about it some more.  

Edit: I wrote this out in reply to a new deleted message from another poster...

I will spell it out. The other poster says we don’t need low-level training to intercept bombers. I agree – I am not a simpering halfwit – although I think low-level training has many useful contributions to all aspects of military flying.

But, just suppose things escalated - the reason after all we keep a military and keep it ready - do you not think that then low level flying might be more relevant in what comes next?  Or does everyone just shake hands and go back to their golf courses?  Readiness is needed across the board to serve its purpose.  

Post edited at 15:39
 summo 08 Apr 2020

You're probably thinking of Llanbedr(coastal side of rhinogs), it was one of the potential sites for the UK space programme. 

In reply to wintertree:

I never said I was against low level training. I said using Russian bomber intercepts as a reason to do it was an ill thought out reason. Here's why they do it:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/military-low-flying

Post edited at 15:40
 wintertree 08 Apr 2020

> I never said I was against low level training. I said using Russian bomber intercepts as a reason to do it was an ill thought out reason. 

It was to demonstrate that the threat level remains tangible - and that we need readiness across the board.

krikoman 08 Apr 2020

Armageddon

In reply to wintertree:

> The country is in a weakened and vulnerable state.  Not a good time to let military readiness slip if you ask me.

More worrying thing is what happens to critical military or civilian infrastructure, and particularly nuclear infrastructure, when coronavirus starts to spread among workforce as happened on that US aircraft carrier.

It would be better if everyone backed off on the military provocations for a while.

MG 08 Apr 2020

And a “School teacher (former)” in New Orleans cares so much about the NHS and British armed forces because?

Fruitbat 08 Apr 2020

As mentioned by a few others, this will be to maintain crews' currencies, low-flying is a perishable skill that is easily lost and can't just be 'turned on again' when needed. That said, there is fairly minimal flying taking place at present, partly because of crews and support personnel either self-isolating or being otherwise affected by CV-19.

In keeping with guidelines, flying is going to be taking place as it's not something that's easily done by working from home. 

Yes, the Tornado (GR4 variant) was withdrawn from RAF service last year so it may have been a Typhoon that you saw.

Pedantic hat on: altitude is referenced to above mean sea-level so I think you meant height if you were referring to how far the aircraft were above your house/the ground/the hill etc and is measured in feet so approx 900' height. Pedantic hat off.

Post edited at 16:13
 MG 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Fruitbat:

You seem to know what you are talking about. What is the lowest the RAF would fly, even for a few seconds?  I ask because of seeing a pilots helmet once when coming over the brow of a hill in Scotland.

Robert Durran 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

> And why are you being racist?

Presumably you think they are being ageist and sexist too?

Bobling 08 Apr 2020

Coo, this is dark.

Don't worry about social distancing, schools closing, stockpiling, quarantines and not being able to go to work for a few weeks, it's just the flu bro.

Don't worry a rapid deterioration of relations with some other countries leading to hot wars breaking out or sustained civil unrest, it's just the flu bro.

See what I did there?

Told you it was dark.

Red Rover 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes I do, I think the whole phrase was stupid. I'm not bothered about it myself (I'm a young white man so 2 out of 3) I just don't get why 'old white man' was relevant there.  People would quite rightly be angry if you used a phrase like 'race X nonsense'  if race X was anything non-white, so why should white be used as an insult? Some people think it's OK to be racist if you're targeting white people.

I don't see why race and identity has anything to do with low-flying RAF planes! 

Post edited at 15:56
 DancingOnRock 08 Apr 2020

They were practicing touch and go in a Hercules at Luton Airport the other day. 

I suspect they’re just taking advantage of the complete absence of civilian aircraft to fly in areas they don’t usually go because the airspace is too crowded. 

Post edited at 15:57
 Myfyr Tomos 08 Apr 2020

I thought the Luftwaffe's plane of choice was still the Jeerman Fokker.

Ian W 08 Apr 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> It would be better if everyone backed off on the military provocations for a while.

It would be better if people backed of permanently, but that ain't happening anytime soon. So whilst the Russians (amongst others, i am sure) continue their silly games, we have to as well.

Fruitbat 08 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

> You seem to know what you are talking about.

Thanks, that's not often said to me.

What is the lowest the RAF would fly, even for a few seconds?  

250'agl is the norm for fast-jets. There are specific areas in Scotland, Wales and northern England were the limit is 100'agl but this is not routine and I'm not sure if this is still being practised and, if it's not, if it will ever be done again.

I ask because of seeing a pilots helmet once when coming over the brow of a hill in Scotland.

Could almost be a euphemism...

Post edited at 16:06
Gone for good 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

> I don't see why race and identity has anything to do with low-flying RAF planes! 

The poster didn't say race and identity had anything to do with low flying RAF planes.  He said,  cue the old white male driven drivel and dislikes in response to his post. To be fair there is a lot of old white male drivel on this website.

wintertree 08 Apr 2020

> ...  particularly nuclear infrastructure ...

A good article came out on this the other day - just doing routine maintenance and refuelling with social distancing is hard enough.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/how-to-refuel-a-nuclear-power-plant...

Red Rover 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

I think it was implied. Whatever, I just think it's odd how racism is asymmetrical in that it's acceptable to be racist to white people. Not that the original post was particular racist but it would be unacceptable to have used any non-white race, so why is it OK to use white? We should stop that kind of language for all races and ages/sexes. It seems identity has been weaponized. 

Post edited at 16:16
Gone for good 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Identity has been weaponised since time immemorial. 

summo 08 Apr 2020
In reply to wintertree:

There was talk of having some power plant workers living on site for the duration. 

Yanis Nayu 08 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

> You seem to know what you are talking about. What is the lowest the RAF would fly, even for a few seconds?  I ask because of seeing a pilots helmet once when coming over the brow of a hill in Scotland.

His g suit must have been squeezing too tight. 

marsbar 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

It's historically the case, and in many ways it continues, that white men have had all the power.  Obviously this is a massive over simplification and it doesn't look at class issues and poorer white countries or areas.  

Rightly or wrongly this is the situation.  I'm not going to get drawn further into this, it's a nice day.  

In reply to Red Rover:

> I just think it's odd how racism is asymmetrical in that it's acceptable to be racist to white people. 

I think the idea is to do with the fact that the history of oppression is asymmetrical.

Red Rover 08 Apr 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I don't disagree, but if racism is to stop then it should stop. Allowing one side to continue will just fuel the conflict for years to come. You're right though the real divide in the UK is between rich and poor, which these days means whether your parents own property. 

Anyway I'm derailing things too much so I'll leave it. It's a lovely day but I'm stuck inside on UKC (something to do with a virus). I hadn't posted on here for years before this happened! 

Red Rover 08 Apr 2020

Most white people in the UK have historically been badly oppressed as well. Think of all the Dickensian aspects of society over the past centuries. Is this historical white privilege?

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2016-02-10/pictures-show-the-shocking-livi...

The divide, if there has to be one, is between the haves and the have nots. If we let one side take revenge or have different rules then things will stay bad forever. We all just have to stop! 

Post edited at 16:44
In reply to Gone for good:

>  He said,  cue the old white male driven drivel and dislikes in response to his post. To be fair there is a lot of old white male drivel on this website.

Such as assuming the gender of a poster? (Apologies if you actually do know their gender).

James B 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Fruitbat:

> In keeping with guidelines, flying is going to be taking place as it's not something that's easily done by working from home. 

Excellently dry

MG 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Fruitbat:

Interesting. This was N Scotland (nr Crask Inn) and certainly appeared around 100m. A few years ago.

In reply to Red Rover:

> Most white people in the UK have historically been badly oppressed as well. 

Not by non-white people though.

kipper12 08 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

> You seem to know what you are talking about. What is the lowest the RAF would fly, even for a few seconds?  I ask because of seeing a pilots helmet once when coming over the brow of a hill in Scotland.

Now that was low, if you could see his helmet!

In reply to wintertree:

There was a C17 doing touch and goes at Manchester today, in preparation for a Russian bomber being shot down too

wintertree 08 Apr 2020

> There was a C17 doing touch and goes at Manchester today, in preparation for a Russian bomber being shot down too

No, but I imagine they were doing practice landings to keep their currency, for resupplying forwards operating bases in Germany if a Russian bomber got shot down.  Or for carrying medical supplies around the UK, or for any one or a number of other duties.

I made the point clearly before that maintaining readiness across the board is a key part of the “game”.  I also made the point that many skills required for low level flying are applicable across the board.  I know you posted a link of what low level flying is used for - and I already knew what it is used for - but that doesn’t address my point that the precision, planning, control of nerve and high level of situational awareness honed in low level flying is a transferable skill to all combat flying.  

In reply to DancingOnRock:

Yesterday, there was an RAF Boeing Globemaster doing touch and go's out of Luton Airport. It was turning  over Knebworth about every fifteen minutes. I read (on the internet) that the RAF are taking advantage of the minimal civilian air traffic at the moment.

Red Rover 08 Apr 2020

OK that's not really my point, but if we're going to find every oppression and let people take revenge then we're in for a rough time! You can't use history to excuse racism against any race. 

Post edited at 18:33
 wercat 08 Apr 2020

Cumbria is one of the very few places to offer an Electronic Warfare range.  Training to evade, mitigate and recognize and use countermeasures to likely threats with identifiiable EM spectrum signatures is essential.   Without that intensive training you might as well just send the crews out without armaments to be slaughtered.  A military and a financial disaster given the cost of the aircraft and the crew training cost wasted, apart from the human cost.

This range is also used by other NATO aircraft which is why you see so many aircraft types in Cumbria.

Post edited at 18:27
 wercat 08 Apr 2020

that is not true along the line of Hadrian's Wall, given the varied ethinicity of the Roman troops stationed there

> Not by non-white people though.

krikoman 08 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

> I ask because of seeing a pilots helmet once when coming over the brow of a hill in Scotland.

What a show off, it wasn't near Jimmy Saville's house was it?

Trangia 08 Apr 2020

Yes, did you watch the series on the Red Arrows? Gave a very good insight into the extremely high standards expected from the RAF's pilots. 

In reply to wintertree:

Yes, I completely agree. Why not post such an in-depth, knowledgable answer in the first place rather than the sensationalist nonsense? 

wintertree 08 Apr 2020

> Yes, I completely agree. Why not post such an in-depth, knowledgable answer in the first place rather than the sensationalist nonsense? 

It’s not sensationalist nonsense.  Nuclear capable bombers from Russia are regularly flying towards our northern borders.  Fact.  We maintain an Air Force in high readiness partly as part of our response to that.  Fact.

Why did you go out of your way to apparently deliberately misinterpret my factual first post when you now apparently understood what I was saying all along?  Why did you not make an in-depth and knowledgeable retort showing why my first post was “sensationalist”?

In reply to wintertree:

It was the comparing apples with pears. They do not low level fly for practise dealing with Russian bombers. Sure, it’s all hours in the air which is all well and good, but such specialist skills have no correlation with QR sorties over the North Sea. 
Russian bombers are not the answer to the ‘why do the RAF practice low level flying’ question.

wintertree 08 Apr 2020

> It was the comparing apples with pears

If you read it carefully, I do not compare apples with pears.  I use an example of the threat level being real, and state the need to maintain currency of our pilots in relation to that.  I never specifically claimed a direct link, although I stand by my comments that there are a lot of transferable skills from low level flying.  

> Russian bombers are not the answer to the ‘why do the RAF practice low level flying’ question.

No, but "Russian threat" is a significant part of why we have an RAF, and why the RAF practices all sorts of flying.

Ridge 08 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

> And a “School teacher (former)” in New Orleans cares so much about the NHS and British armed forces because?

I'm not sure why a fictional character created by Tennesse Williams cares about any of the topics on this site, unless she likes a bit of trolling.

Post edited at 19:07
 MG 08 Apr 2020
In reply to kipper12:

I was driving and instinctively ducked!

In reply to Red Rover:

I was going to warn you that in UKC debates I've  more or less been schooled into thinking that you shouldn't expect" symmetry" when discussing socio-political issues because the historical perspective makes notions such as " a level playing field" a non-starter.

Then Robert jumped in and proved my point!

And it was Robert who highlighted the inadvisability of making assumptions about the age, gender  and race of a.population with such an androgynous set of pseudonyms as those used on UKC.

Post edited at 19:37
Removed User 08 Apr 2020

FWIW, when I was airborne and we were doing an exercise jump we would take off from South Cerny and the pilots would invariably fly up to the lake district to get some low level in (200 ft iirc) before fying back down to wherever we were lobbing into (Salsbury Plain, Brecon, Thetford etc.). It really doesn't take that long to get around England and it was designed to make sure that every Para on the plane was ready to puke (sitting in the back of a Herc doing low level is like being on a fishing boat in the north sea in a storm).

nufkin 08 Apr 2020

It probably wasn't the intention, but this thread has rekindled my excitement for the new Top Gun film:

youtube.com/watch?v=qSqVVswa420&

Doesn't look like they shot it in the Lakes though

Dave 88 08 Apr 2020

Flying a fast jet is unfathomably complex. Not just the physical flying, but a whole host of other tasks that go along with being the fastest thing in the sky and expected to respond to a huge range of scenarios.

Taking a couple of months off is simply not an option.

As for whether we need this capability, that’s an entirely separate argument and one which I find people’s minds are solidly made up one way or another, so not much point trying!

freeflyer 09 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

They are flying because they can. Defending the country is clearly essential exercise

If you can't see his helmet they aren't doing it right.

I should add that I have no (direct) connection with the armed forces, so this post is purely conjecture.

neuromancer 09 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

For what its worth, my father in law used to show me the grass stains on the undercarriage of his Jaguar.

Things have got a little more safety-conscious since, though I've lobbed from about 500ft myself and don't fancy going any lower.

Post edited at 08:44
 Tom Valentine 09 Apr 2020
In reply to neuromancer:

Yes the best of all those low flying videos on You Tube is one in a where the jet passes at ground level and appears to leave scorch marks on the grass.

DancingOnRock 09 Apr 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

I stand corrected. I assumed it was a Hercules but, yes, it had jets not propellers. I just saw the cargo ramp at the back. 

Not really a plane spotter. 

JackM92 09 Apr 2020
In reply to NathanP:

And more on type 2 diabetes than defence!

Fruitbat 09 Apr 2020
In reply to neuromancer:

> For what its worth, my father in law used to show me the grass stains on the undercarriage of his Jaguar.

Standard for Jags, not enough runway.

For those who aren't aware, the old saying is, 'The only reason that Jaguars managed to get airborne is because the Earth is round.'

Post edited at 11:40
 Tom Valentine 09 Apr 2020
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Never mind,I've seen it on a toilet wall that prop driven craft are superior because " four screws beats four blow jobs any day of the week"

Post edited at 12:20
Removed User 09 Apr 2020

> Yesterday, there was an RAF Boeing Globemaster doing touch and go's out of Luton Airport. It was turning  over Knebworth about every fifteen minutes. I read (on the internet) that the RAF are taking advantage of the minimal civilian air traffic at the moment.

I used to be a member of the Knebworth Young Farmers...………..just sayin

I have an ADS-B station and it's noticeable how many military planes there are about. C17, A400M etc. Maybe they are ferrying supplies about or just staying current as has previously been noted. We live close to Odiham so the Chinooks are a common sight anyway.

Last weekend there were several survey planes (eg the Ordnance Survey one) taking advantage of the empty skies to fly race track circuits up and down a 50km stretch of Hampshire then Oxfordshire. There was even one that flew a grid pattern over the entirety of greater London out to Heathrow and Luton. It can't be very often that that is possible.

In reply to Removed User:

Gracious, I always presumed you were Canadian. Were you brought up in Knebworth!?

wintertree 09 Apr 2020
In reply to richard_hopkins:

> Last weekend there were several survey planes (eg the Ordnance Survey one) taking advantage of the empty skies to fly race track circuits up and down a 50km stretch of Hampshire then Oxfordshire.

A similar sighting over New Zealand last week.

Removed User 09 Apr 2020

> Gracious, I always presumed you were Canadian. Were you brought up in Knebworth!?

Stevenage, unfortunately. Moved there when I was 8 and left when I was 18. Knebworth was the nearest Young Farmer's club - based out of The Station Hotel.

Billhook 09 Apr 2020

As an ex serviceman myself the answer is quite easy.

You must always exercise, train and plan for war, combat or whatever role you are likely to undertake in all reasonably foreseeable future events.

Its no use starting to exercise, train and plan once these events have started.

jkarran 09 Apr 2020

> More worrying thing is what happens to critical military or civilian infrastructure, and particularly nuclear infrastructure, when coronavirus starts to spread among workforce as happened on that US aircraft carrier. It would be better if everyone backed off on the military provocations for a while.

That would be nice

UK military is already taking extra distancing and quarantine measures to keep smaller units firewalled and operational. More use for delivering ongoing logistical support managing public order than invading Russia but still, it does appear to have been considered.

jk

marsbar 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Billhook:

Shame they didn't do this for the pandemic I'm so cross that people are having to  home make PPE and scrubs to donate to the NHS.  

Its lovely that people are doing this but it shouldn't be necessary.  

Timmd 09 Apr 2020

I'm sure it's a part of ongoing training, but 'war games' would be interesting and fun anyway it seems to me. In the scheme of things, pilots enjoying their training & making the most of opportunities to is pretty harmless is what I mean.

Post edited at 20:36

I am currently living a few hundred yards from the Station Hotel!

Removed User 09 Apr 2020

> I am currently living a few hundred yards from the Station Hotel!

LOL, small world, though not much climbing in that neck of the woods. When this lockdown is over, pop into the pub on a Thursday night and see if the YFC still meets there. I'd love to think that it was still going but I doubt it somehow. It was 40 years ago now.

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> I thought the Luftwaffe's plane of choice was still the Jeerman Fokker.

Actually we also had a visit from the German air force,  they were delivering 60 ventilators for free from their own stock to help us out.

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/corona-krise-bundeswehr-liefert-...

profitofdoom 10 Apr 2020

In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

> ...............My second fell off, she said she was blown off......

Good excuse.... very very unlikely IMO. Made me smile anyway

Ah happy days, The Gates, when will those days be back

Removed User 10 Apr 2020

In reply to Removed Usercapoap:

>  My second fell off, she said she was blown off.  

Now if had been I guy, I'd have said "lucky you"

Removed User 10 Apr 2020

> >  My second fell off, she said she was blown off.  

> Now if had been I guy, I'd have said "lucky you"

OR, in English - Now, if it had been a guy, I'd have said "lucky you"

Wainers44 10 Apr 2020

Tornados firing bolts at Trad Crags? Sport climbing conspiracy?

... and yes it can be done, it was in Cliffhanger so it must be possible.

PATTISON Bill 10 Apr 2020

I always say Thank God .Thank God they are ours .Having lived through the second world war I remember when some were not and they bombed our Co op.

andrew breckill 10 Apr 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel: my only response is who cares? They are doing their job.

Richard Smith 10 Apr 2020

They are training to protect your arse when the other side decide to kick off.  You one of these people when the British Military lose you kick off saying they are crap... get a life and don't move near an airport them bitch about the noise either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...