Quiz !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lone 13 Aug 2019

Hi all,

A quiz if you have some time on your hands to have a go !

---------------------------------

Einstein wrote this riddle last century and said that 98% of the world's population would not be able to solve it.

• There are 5 houses that are each a different colour.

• There is a person of a different nationality in each house.

• The 5 owners drink a certain drink. They each smoke a certain brand of cigarettes and also have a certain pet. No owner has the same pet, smokes the same brand of cigarettes nor drinks the same drink.

• The question is. "Who has the fish?"

CLUES

1. The British man lives in the red house.

2. The Swedish man has a dog for a pet.

3. The Danish man drinks tea.

4. The green house is to the left of the white house.

5. The owner of the green house drinks coffee.

6. The person that smokes Pall Mall has a bird.

7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.

8. The person that lives in the middle house drinks milk.

9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.

10. The person that smokes Blend, lives next to the one that has a cat.

11. The person that has a horse lives next to the one that smokes Dunhill.

12. The one that smokes Bluemaster drinks beer.

13. The German smokes Prince.

14. The Norwegian lives next to a blue house.

15. The person that smokes Blend, has a neighbour that drinks water.

Have a go !

L

subtle 13 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

The German.

Martin W 13 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

> Einstein wrote this riddle last century

Highly doubtful:

"The puzzle is often called Einstein's Puzzle or Einstein's Riddle because it is said to have been invented by Albert Einstein as a boy; it is also sometimes attributed to Lewis Carroll. However, there is no known evidence for Einstein's or Carroll's authorship"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_Puzzle (warning: contains the solution and how to find it).

Similarly, there is no evidence that Einstein ever said anything about mankind's dependence on bees: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/einstein-on-bees/, although plenty of other people have expressed not dissimilar views in recent years.

People seem to like to attribute stuff to Einstein because it gives things an air of authority.  According to that Snopes article, the bees one was probably first attributed to him by the National Union of French Apiculture in 1994.

P.S. It's not a quiz (a test of knowledge), it's a puzzle (a test of ingenuity or reasoning ability).

Post edited at 17:01
 Dan Arkle 13 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

I also got the German. 

I had to write down scraps of information at a time to solve it. Is there an easier way? 

Toccata 13 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

It's a grid logic puzzle and a simple one as the problem could be solved with fewer clues. 

yeti 13 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

Well ... any one of them could have fish for lunch

profitofdoom 13 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

> • The question is. "Who has the fish?"

The horse. Obviously

hang_about 13 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

Who has the fish?

Apparently UK fishermen post-Brexit.

Or the Scottish if the Union breaks up.

mick taylor 13 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

The Hong Conger.

In reply to hang_about:

> Apparently UK fishermen post-Brexit.

Nah; they've already sold their fishing rights to the Spanish...

Andy Hardy 14 Aug 2019
In reply to mick taylor:

> The Hong Conger.

Eel be chuffed with that

DerwentDiluted 14 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

Does the Brits' bird sit on a Perch?

As for 98% of the population, I think that stat, if there is any truth in it, says more about persistance than intellect.

In reply to Martin W:

Please at least tell me Einstein said that there were two infinite things and he wasn’t sure about the universe?!

jcm

Blue Straggler 14 Aug 2019
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

And the one about your hand on a beautiful girl vs your hand on a red hot iron

fred99 14 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

None of them.

Not one of the clues mention a fish.

Therefore there is no reason to believe that any of them have a fish.

WaterMonkey 14 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

I just did it for the Halibut

OP lone 14 Aug 2019
In reply to fred99:

I tried it now several times and seem to arrive at different answers, I must be doing something wrong somewhere 

Philip 14 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

Start with the Norwegian in an unknown colour house. The next is Blue.

Green comes before White but Green can't be middle as that conflicts with the statement about Green + Coffee and Middle+Milk.

The Norwegian can't be Red as that the British. So order must be Yellow,Blue,Red,Green,White

From there you just need to fill in the grid. Look for each descriptor which houses are valid for which options. You quickly find pairs that exclude others leaving obvious solutions. Like with Milk and Coffee positioned Water could go anywhere but Tea and Beer can both only go Blue or White, so Water goes with Yellow.

In reply to lone:

I hate to say it, but am I alone in thinking that this is just such a dull intellectual exercise? It just seems such a tedious waste of time as a puzzle. I can't for the life of me think where its interest lies.

cb294 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

As with Sudoku etc., solving this type of puzzle is rather formulaic. However, it gives you something to do while sitting on a bus or train when you cannot, for some reason, concentrate enough to read or work.

CB

In reply to cb294:

Sudokus I find very interesting. Hard to explain why. I suppose because they are so surprisingly varied; i.e., they seem to vary in character as well as difficulty.

Tricky Dicky 15 Aug 2019
In reply to lone:

Surely the cat caught the fish.............

cb294 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I don't find them varied at all, the general approach is always the same. Fine with me, I like Sudokus as a distraction.

CB

In reply to cb294:

I see them as being a bit like the mental equivalent of physical limbering-up exercises. Wakes up the mind in the morning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...