Questions asked at a counselling Masters interview

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 30 Nov 2022

Not for me, but what questions might you be asked?

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

"Why do you want to do a Master's degree in counselling?"

The Lemming 30 Nov 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

Tell me how that made you feel?

profitofdoom 30 Nov 2022

> Not for me, but what questions might you be asked?

4 possibles are 1. "Why did you choose us/ our school/ our programme?" 2. "What do you plan to do / what work if any are you planning to do / after graduating?" 3. Less likely but possible "What is it about the courses on our Masters / degree that attracted you?" (So in case you are asked this, at least know what courses they offer). 4. "Tell us about your previous studies" (this one is much more likely if you have previously studied counselling)

Also, needless to say, have one question ready to ask THEM

Good luck

Post edited at 20:50
 Lankyman 30 Nov 2022

Who put the ram in the ramalamadingdong?

racodemisa 30 Nov 2022

What do you feel are your strongest points as a therapist ? And weaknesses ? 

The Lemming 30 Nov 2022

What do bears really do in the woods?

Wainers44 30 Nov 2022

Are you really the Master and where the hell did you meet all these Daleks, Wigan?

freeflyer 30 Nov 2022

There won't be any; they'll just sit there patiently and wait for something to come up. Drop "post-modern" into the conversation at some point. Imply that any form of analysis is largely pointless and reflects a false understanding of the therapeutic process. Quote from Carl Rogers.

More seriously (slightly), try to get some understanding of the likely competition for places. They may be gagging for candidates or overflowing. If it's competitive, they will want to see more understanding of the material, and a willingness to engage with group therapy. Don't get too academic. Ideally have some prior experience, in a voluntary group eg Samaritans etc.

Wish them luck, and advise that they should ideally have other means of income.

ff

morpcat 30 Nov 2022
In reply to freeflyer:

> Wish them luck, and advise that they should ideally have other means of income.

First time I read this I thought you meant for the candidate to wish the interviewers luck - would be a pretty bold way to end the interview!

freeflyer 30 Nov 2022
In reply to morpcat:

> First time I read this I thought you meant for the candidate to wish the interviewers luck - would be a pretty bold way to end the interview!

Lol. Good suggestion though.

In reply to freeflyer:

> There won't be any; they'll just sit there patiently and wait for something to come up

Lol. And then get confused when you get up and leave, saying "well, this was a waste of time..."

abr1966 01 Dec 2022

Possibly a safeguarding question....maybe an ethics type...possibly linked to safeguarding?

A question on diversity....ethnicity etc...?

Something about access to counselling?

Possibly something about supervision?

McHeath 01 Dec 2022

What have you done on Grit?

Olaf Prot 01 Dec 2022

Hgggh. Tell me about your muzzer?

AllanMac 01 Dec 2022

When I was Junger I was aFreud to ask those kind of questions.

Flinticus 01 Dec 2022

Tell yer friend to read up on the published output of those running the course 

My wife is a counselling psychologist and I can tell you the models used vary significantly so you / your pal don't want to go in exclaiming the wondrous merits of something they consider borderline woo.

Billhook 01 Dec 2022

What skills do have which might help you in Counselling?

Mrs B is a Relate counsellor and trainer.

freeflyer 01 Dec 2022

It seems clear that there's a few on here that could be more helpful if there was a bit more info on what goals / aspirations your friend has.

A counselling MSc can be a life-enhancing experience and is generally to be recommended, as long as it is undertaken with realistic expectations. Any life-changing will be as a result of therapy work done by the student, and a clear understanding of a desired career path is pretty essential.

But anyway, if they're keen on the idea they should go for it; they should get lots of support and a certain amount of slack from the tutoring team, but will have to knuckle down and produce the required academic material.

NorthernGrit 01 Dec 2022

Depends on where. As long as you have the relevant pre-requisites the main question is likely to be "how do you intend to fund your studies?"

(Not belittling it or saying it's not worth doing but unless there is excessive competition they simply have places to fill) 

Brass Nipples 02 Dec 2022
In reply to McHeath:

> What have you done on Grit?

Masters Edge …

McHeath 02 Dec 2022
In reply to Brass Nipples:

Or, for a counsellor: The End of the Affair?

In reply to Flinticus:

> Tell yer friend to read up on the published output of those running the course 

I wouldn't worry too much about this. They won't be expecting a great deal of knowledge about specific models (that's what the course will be teaching them), and the urge will then be to fake interest and knowledge about the interviewers preferred approaches which is a pretty high-risk strategy. More important at this stage is whether they are reflective, compassionate and understand broadly what counselling involves.

Worth prepping basic interview topics like strengths and weaknesses, a time you went the "extra mile", how you have navigated a challenging interpersonal situation etc. Beyond that it could be useful to pick either a personal or professional experience of supporting someone through a difficult time (an example they would be happy to share at interview if appropriate) and reflect on things like what went well, what could have gone better, what would they do differently, why did they act the way they did? The most common questions I've been asked for clinical posts or courses are things like "tell us about a case/work situation that was challenging for you" or "what would you do in [insert common ethical issue] situation"

That's all assuming that it is actually an 'interview'. When I did my MSc the 'interview' was a 5 minute chat and more about them trying to sell the course to me than them wanting to know anything about me. I think as long as I could pay the fees and met the basic criteria it was never in question that I wouldn't be offered a place.

Post edited at 11:34
In reply to The Thread:

Thanks all. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...