Queen's message

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 earlsdonwhu 05 Apr 2020

Just a small rant to start the day. Why does the text of the speech need to get released before she even makes the speech? The journalists can analyse afterwards. It seems to have become commonplace for us to be told, " We understand that X is going to say......"

Jon Stewart 05 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Makes for better press coverage. 

ianstevens 05 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Here’s a bigger rant:

who cares?

DaveHK 05 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Apparently she's going to evoke the spirit of the blitz. Our national obsession with WWII really is tiresome and shows little sign of waning.

veteye 05 Apr 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> who cares?

Do you mean about the text release, or about the queen making a speech?

On the former, I find it pointless to release the text before. You might as well just broadcast the speech at that point.

On the latter, I am a republican, and am not impressed by having such a privileged family, and them having a protected life. So I don't care what she says, although she is the best member of that family. As mentioned earlier on this site by others, how come prince Charles could go and self-isolate at his 2nd or 3rd home, when all others were being chastised for it? So maybe the queen should get her own house in order first.

(No doubt this reply will get some dislikes...)

stevieb 05 Apr 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> Apparently she's going to evoke the spirit of the blitz. Our national obsession with WWII really is tiresome and shows little sign of waning.

Agree, but at least for once, it’s going to be brought up by someone who actually remembers it, instead of some tosser born 20 years after the war. 

MG 05 Apr 2020
In reply to veteye:

Because he was closest to it when he became ill.

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

The video has leaked.   She's going to sing!

youtube.com/watch?v=QnN6glKaWdE&

ianstevens 05 Apr 2020
In reply to veteye:

> Do you mean about the text release, or about the queen making a speech?

> On the former, I find it pointless to release the text before. You might as well just broadcast the speech at that point.

> On the latter, I am a republican, and am not impressed by having such a privileged family, and them having a protected life. So I don't care what she says, although she is the best member of that family. As mentioned earlier on this site by others, how come prince Charles could go and self-isolate at his 2nd or 3rd home, when all others were being chastised for it? So maybe the queen should get her own house in order first.

> (No doubt this reply will get some dislikes...)

Either to be honest - I agree with you entirely across the board! Give some epidemiology/virology experts a short lecture slot instead.

Post edited at 14:25
baron 05 Apr 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> Apparently she's going to evoke the spirit of the blitz. Our national obsession with WWII really is tiresome and shows little sign of waning.

My mum remembers the spirit of the blitz.

Especially the bit where the Luftwaffe dropped a bomb on her house while she was in it.

As she’s nearly 90 she hasn’t been out of her house for weeks and faces several more months in isolation.

For her the Queens speech will be the highlight of her day and might just give her a bit of hope.

But hey, it’s not about the old people is it?

Post edited at 15:56
 rubble 05 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

My understanding from news reports, particularly the BBC, he travelled on the Sunday having had symptoms over the weekend ... us 'lesser mortals' were being told to self isolate (for 7 days) as soon as symptoms became apparent.  I'm sure there would have been several empty rooms in Clarence House for both him, Camilla (14 days isolation) and his staff (14 days isolation) to avoid any contact with others and risk spreading the virus further.

MG 05 Apr 2020
In reply to rubble:

Indeed, which is all the more reason to believe he got ill in Scotland on the Sunday - he had no reason to travel if he was ill in England given his main house is there. 

kipper12 05 Apr 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> Either to be honest - I agree with you entirely across the board! Give some epidemiology/virology experts a short lecture slot instead.

I think they have been enough of those on TV, across all channels.  One plus, more people know what an epidemiologist is and dose now, they have never been so in demand.  

rubble 05 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

He was showing symptoms before travelling so should have immediately self isolated for 7 days in line with Government and medical advice - just as a number of my, family, colleagues, friends and acquaintances have done - and not travelled 400 miles from his home and risk spreading the virus.

MG 05 Apr 2020
In reply to rubble:

> He was showing symptoms before travelling 

Was he? 

rubble 05 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

News reporting says displaying symptoms over the weekend and he travelled on Sunday ...

MG 05 Apr 2020
In reply to rubble:

> News reporting says displaying symptoms over the weekend and he travelled on Sunday ...

Sunday being the weekend... 

rubble 05 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

.. as is Friday night and Saturday  ...

MG 05 Apr 2020
In reply to rubble:

So we cant say either way from the news reports. Why in that case assume he did something a) incovenient and unpleasant if he was ill b) against all guidance and c) entirely unnecessary give  he has his main residence in England? 

rubble 05 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

Inconclusive press reports? ... perhaps but, trying not to be drawn into conspiracy theory territory here, given the way information concerning the Royal Family is controlled and how Royal Correspondents are briefed, why create a situation where doubt is cast over the circumstances of Charles coming to Scotland?

Why not be honest and say Charles has come to Scotland and has been tested as he is first in line to the throne should anything happen to the Queen and it is a sensible step to the Royal lineage.  I might not like it but could, reluctantly, accept it ...  

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Apparently she will say that future generations will look back at this one and say we were as tough as any. Such utter horseshit from a woman who should know better. This is not the war, there isn't a blitz. To compare us to the generations who went through 2 world wars is ludicrous.

OP earlsdonwhu 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Frank the Husky:

I don't really care what she says but as Head of State her words may strike a chord with some people.  She is perhaps better than party politicians to issue rallying calls or words of consolation.

I just don't get why this speech, and others need to be so extensively leaked/ trailed .  When so much is in the public domain beforehand, the speeches themselves seem to be redundant.

ianstevens 05 Apr 2020
In reply to kipper12:

> I think they have been enough of those on TV, across all channels.  One plus, more people know what an epidemiologist is and dose now, they have never been so in demand.  

But yet there is still a widespread lack of education. Even a short lesson in when, why and how to use PPE would be better - the amount of misuse I’ve witnessed is astonishing.

Bob Bennett 05 Apr 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Exactly ,who cares, she would be better releasing some of her unearned wealth to help the country deal with the crisis

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

That was a pretty good speech. I'm gonna take all the good vibes I can these days. Thank you ma'm

In reply to Bob Bennett:

That would be a sensible move and good PR to help minimise the Andrew and Harry effect, doubt it will happen though. 

It would soften this hardened republican if it did. 

Clauso 05 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

That speech made me proud to be British. Stirring, emotive, and erotic. I've a lump in my throat, and another one in my trousers. 

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> That was a pretty good speech. I'm gonna take all the good vibes I can these days. Thank you ma'm

I agree. If it helps anyone then it's a good thing.

There are people out there helping everyone and putting themselves on the line. Now is not the time for cynical anti royalist bollox, now we all need to work together.

What's wrong with that?

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Clauso:

Don't be a tw*t Darren you are better than that from what I remember? Please.

Nick.

Post edited at 20:17
 bouldery bits 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Nick Alcock:

> Don't be a tw*t Darren you are better than that from what I remember? Please.

> Nick.

What is this? 

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

A reply

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I liked the bit where she said, 'Sorry about all the bad empire stuff and that! Won't do it again. Do I really need this many bedrooms?' 

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020

You are such a funny man.

In reply to Nick Alcock:

> A reply

I see. 

Bizzare.

In reply to Nick Alcock:

> You are such a funny man.

Thanks! I've been practicing  

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020

Well. Maybe I know Darren. And maybe you are not such an erudite, witty and knowledgeable person as you project on here?

I don't know, but maybe you should just pipe down a bit?

OK?

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020

F*ck you

And your mother, sister, brother and children.

Post edited at 20:27
In reply to Nick Alcock:

Queen's English. 

Rob Parsons 05 Apr 2020

I thought it was a well-pitched speech.

Clauso 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Nick Alcock and Bouldery Bits:

Calm down chaps.

Blame it on my hormones, and blame it on Her Maj' for what she does to them. 

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020

Haha.

Sorry. A bit het up here with CV-19 etc. Not good I know, and I shouldn't read some of the crap on here as it only makes things feel a lot worse.

Especially when one is directly involved - as we all are to some extent.

My apologies.

Nick.

In reply to Nick Alcock:

No worries Nick

I hope you and yours stay safe and well at this difficult time. 

All the best,

BB

marsbar 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Nick Alcock:

Nevermind posted at the same time.

Post edited at 20:36
In reply to Clauso:

> Calm down chaps.

> Blame it on my hormones, and blame it on Her Maj' for what she does to them. 

Owl drink to that! 

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020

Cheers BB. You are a gent!

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Clauso:

Sorry Darren.

How are you anyway?

It's been a while...

Gone for good 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Nick Alcock:

> Don't be a tw*t Darren you are better than that from what I remember? Please.

> Nick.

No hes not I'm afraid. 

wintertree 05 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Most disappointed she didn’t join with the memes and say “Stay the f*** at home”.

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

Of course I know that and you know that but I like to keep up some kind of pretence.

Anyway, that's enough from me. Have refrained from posting since Andy Pollitt's sad death and this is all preventing me from reading Hilary Mantel's latest  - where vile things are happening.

This CV-19 is a bastard though and some of the stuff I have read on here has forced me to post.

I really think it will affect us all, so we should stop arguing and trying to find stupid ways around doing selfish things.

That's all.

Stay safe and love to all, Nick.

Cornish boy 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> I thought it was a well-pitched speech.

Me too. 

In reply to Nick Alcock:

You're right mate.

I'm out. 

Nick Alcock 05 Apr 2020

Sorry I was an arse BB. Nice to talk to you, hope to converse sometime in the future.

Good luck to you and yours.

Nick

Darron 05 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Of course it matters not a jot what we on here think. The Queen is the most respected and influential figure in the country. Literally millions of people will have been comforted by her speech tonight and it’s effect is quite liable to be very positive. As such it has to be welcome no matter what we as individuals feel.

I do worry the timing is an indication of what is about to arrive though.

Good luck to you all and those you care for.

Moley 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Nick Alcock:

I'd be bloody proud if she was my 93 year old mum. Good on her.

Robert Durran 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Darron:

> Of course it matters not a jot what we on here think. The Queen is the most respected and influential figure in the country. Literally millions of people will have been comforted by her speech tonight and it’s effect is quite liable to be very positive. As such it has to be welcome no matter what we as individuals feel.

Absolutely. I thought she was fantastic. 

Probably much more inspirational for many of the sort of people who find the clapping thing cringeworthy.

In reply to Nick Alcock:

Good to hear you again, Nick. It's been a long time. I know you've been through a hard time, but please look after yourself. All the best from Gordon (who's probably himself drinking far too much whisky.)

In reply to Robert Durran:

I thought it was perfectly judged. Heartfelt, yet understated and surprisingly tough at the same time. Zero emotional bullshit.

summo 05 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Not bad, aged 93 and could certainly teach a politician a thing or two (probably has).

Bobling 06 Apr 2020

> Apparently she will say that future generations will look back at this one and say we were as tough as any. Such utter horseshit from a woman who should know better. This is not the war, there isn't a blitz. To compare us to the generations who went through 2 world wars is ludicrous.

People are putting their lives on the line for the good of the nation (my wife included).  Feels like a f**king war to me.

In reply to MG:

> So we cant say either way from the news reports. Why in that case assume he did something a) incovenient and unpleasant if he was ill b) against all guidance and c) entirely unnecessary give  he has his main residence in England? 

Too much of a free pass for Royals.   He knew he was in contact with someone who tested positive so he should have been isolating, then he got symptoms so he absolutely definitely should have been isolating.  Instead he traveled more than 400 miles to a relatively remote part of Scotland along with a bunch of servants and cops some of whom caught it.

He did it because he wanted to be in his country house.

> Apparently she will say that future generations will look back at this one and say we were as tough as any. Such utter horseshit from a woman who should know better. This is not the war, there isn't a blitz. To compare us to the generations who went through 2 world wars is ludicrous.

This isn't as visible because we are all locked in our houses and the pain and dying is happening out of sight but the consequences in terms of death and serious injury could be on the same scale, or if we are unlucky worse.

Blue Straggler 06 Apr 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> He did it because he wanted to be in his country house.

I know it’s not exactly the same thing so don’t come at me with your righteous “it’s not the same thing” Scots wrath but I think that for the benefit of people that are not following your posts fastidiously, it is worth quoting you here regarding Dr Catherine Calderwood. I post without offering an opinion; I am simply quoting you:

” I actually don't care.  She drove from Edinburgh to Fife - not that far - and stayed overnight in an empty house.  Seems reasonable to check a house if you know it's likely to be unoccupied for a few months. “

In reply to Bobling:

> People are putting their lives on the line for the good of the nation (my wife included).  Feels like a f**king war to me.

Of course it's not totally comparable, but perhaps worth noting that Covid is now killing over 600 Brits a day, whereas in the Great War we were losing on average 445 soldiers a day.

In reply to earlsdonwhu:

It is worth noting that the address was delivered from one of her many second homes. Should HRH be pressured into resignation? 

summo 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> It is worth noting that the address was delivered from one of her many second homes. Should HRH be pressured into resignation? 

That message yesterday will have been lapped up by millions of future royalty mad tourists. The UK is going to need every penny from their pockets in a few years time to pay off the national debt and rebuild society. 

The Queen and Prince Phillip have been residing at Windsor Castle since March 19, i.e. four days before the lockdown. I haven't heard that there are any plans for her to move.

staticx 07 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

I'd be more interested in David Bowie message to be honest.

Pedro50 07 Apr 2020

> It is worth noting that the address was delivered from one of her many second homes. Should HRH be pressured into resignation? 

I'm a Republican but even I know its HM  not HRH 

jbrom 07 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Something to cheer up the Republicans/monarchists/unionists/nationalists bickering on this thread. The queens choice of outfit provided the perfect green screen:

https://twitter.com/rockpapercynic/status/1246885628702330881?s=19

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I know it’s not exactly the same thing so don’t come at me with your righteous

It isn't just not exactly the same thing it is a completely different thing.

One involved serious risk and actual harm.  The person knew they were infected.  Several members of their entourage also became infected and were seen in a village shop.  The distance was more than 400 miles and the journey started in a huge hotspot.

The second broke rules but involved almost no risk.   Nobody involved was infected.  The destination was not that far away.   Compared with London to Ballater for Edinburgh to Fife the start point was not a hotspot and the end point was not much off the same level of infection as the start.   She drove with her immediate household,  she went to an empty house, she walked about on a beach/golf course without getting close to anybody and she went home.   

profitofdoom 08 Apr 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Perhaps you read THE DAILY MASH'S report on the Queen's speech:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/queen-stay-int-ouse-youll-be-...

Made me laugh anyway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...