Putin and the G20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bojo 09 Nov 2022

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.ft.com/content/9c6acfb0-2a25-4b46-...

I saw this earlier today and my first and lasting thought is why is it even possible that Putin should attend? He is a pariah and should surely be 'blackballed"  from the world stage?

Pedro50 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Paywall, give us a summary.

SDM 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

https://archive.ph/gSZwI

Most newspaper paywalls can bypassed by posting the URL into archive.ph.

It also means your traffic doesn't contribute to their traffic stats or advertising revenue should you want to view an article from a newspaper you detest.

Ian W 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Try bypass paywalls clean - its an add on I use for firefox (dunno if it works on other browsers) that gives me access to the ft.

alx 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Bojo:

TLDR; Mail says Vlad will not attend as his intelligence services have good knowledge that another member of the G20 wishes to open hand slap him 'demonstrating his attitude towards him as a war criminal and scoundrel'.

Apparently this G20 leader is quite open about their intentions to do this.

Removed User 09 Nov 2022
In reply to alx:

Regardless of my feelings about Putin, he's one of the few I'd think twice about bitch slapping if I happened upon him in my local Coop.

fred99 10 Nov 2022
In reply to alx:

As Putin has been "bigged up" on all his so-called "hard man" photo opportunities, I wouldn't be surprised if he's really completely incapable of fighting back - at least not unless his opponent is tied to a chair.

Real reasons he's not going;

1) He's scared of being shown to be a "powder-puff".

2) Someone will organise a coup while he's gone.

3) Someone (on his own side) will assassinate him once he leaves the safety of the Kremlin.

4) A combination of all 3 above.

alx 10 Nov 2022
In reply to Removed User & Fred99

There was quite a bit of discussion around whether Putin carried concealed weapons, I guess mostly from fear of attack from his own people.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/16/putin-gunslinger-gait-kgb-tra...

DaveHK 10 Nov 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Good choice Vladimir, G20s are excellent crampons, you're set for the sends when it gets colder.

OP Bojo 10 Nov 2022
In reply to alx:

> In reply to Hardonicus & Fred99

> There was quite a bit of discussion around whether Putin carried concealed weapons, I guess mostly from fear of attack from his own people.

I thought that was "old" news dating from just after, if not before, the invasion.

In reply to Bojo:

If he leaves Russia, he should he arrested as the war criminal he is.

henwardian 11 Nov 2022
In reply to fred99:

> As Putin has been "bigged up" on all his so-called "hard man" photo opportunities, I wouldn't be surprised if he's really completely incapable of fighting back - at least not unless his opponent is tied to a chair.

> Real reasons he's not going;

> 1) He's scared of being shown to be a "powder-puff".

> 2) Someone will organise a coup while he's gone.

> 3) Someone (on his own side) will assassinate him once he leaves the safety of the Kremlin.

> 4) A combination of all 3 above.

Yes. And

5) In a situation where he can't control every minutia, loads of signs of his failing health will end up being seen.

6) He absolutely must project strength with every breath at this stage and that won't be possible while being publicly snubbed and ignored by everyone else who attends.

In reply to Bojo:

Putin ain't going anywhere his safety cannot be guaranteed 100%. He's made himself a prisoner unless he visits China, India or NKorea.

Rob Exile Ward 11 Nov 2022
In reply to henwardian:

'loads of signs of his failing health' The Daily Express has been reporting on his failing health since the day after the invasion, are you sure that's not wishful thinking?

Harry Jarvis 11 Nov 2022
In reply to Bojo:

> I thought that was "old" news dating from just after, if not before, the invasion.

It is old news. The article is dated 16 December 2015.

OP Bojo 11 Nov 2022
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Putin ain't going anywhere his safety cannot be guaranteed 100%. He's made himself a prisoner unless he visits China, India or NKorea.

Or maybe be of the newly "aquired" regions of Russia.

fred99 11 Nov 2022
In reply to Bojo:

> Or maybe be of the newly "aquired" regions of Russia.

I don't think he'll be visiting Kherson in a hurry, or Donetsk, Crimea, .....

SFM 12 Nov 2022
In reply to Bojo:

I much prefer Florence and the Machine

aln 12 Nov 2022
In reply to Removed User:

> Regardless of my feelings about Putin, he's one of the few I'd think twice about bitch slapping if I happened upon him in my local Coop.

Ye's. Wouldn't be long before you were eating a polonium meal deal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...