Put-away computer monitor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 08 Aug 2019

I'm struggling to find anything suitable on google so thought it would be worth asking on here...

I'm in need of a computer monitor that can be easily put up and taken down as it will spend it's life on a cupboard shelf when not in use due to space issues.

The cupboard is 35x55cm in diameter so I'm not after anything huge (c.22") but the important thing is that I can take the base/stand off easily so it can slot away easily.

Any ideas / recommendations?

I've tried a few places on the high street but selections are generally pretty small (that you can actually see/test) so not had any luck yet.

Thanks

James

Joez 08 Aug 2019
In reply to James Malloch:

What are you using it for?

Options here 

https://www.techradar.com/amp/news/best-portable-monitor

Or use an android tablet?

Or a micro/pico projector?

two_tapirs 08 Aug 2019

What about a projector?

wilkie14c 08 Aug 2019

television?

sbc23 08 Aug 2019

Can you mount it on a wall or use a articulated arm?

Monitors have a standard 'vesa' mount on the back. (4 set screws 75 or 100mm apart in a square). You can get vesa quick release brackets that allow you to quickly remove the monitor from the arm. 

You could have a articulated monitor arm on your desk. These are great for not taking up any desk space and you can push the monitor out of the way when not needed. We have two arms on the kid's homework desk. When they don't need the PC's they just put the wireless keyboard/mouse away and push the monitor out of the way. 

If you want to take the monitor off, get one quick release bracket for the arm and then put another one wherever you want. This could be in the cupboard for just on a spare section of wall somewhere. 

inboard 09 Aug 2019

if the idea of a monitor on an adjustable arm is appealing, I have an unwanted arm (and monitor) which I’ve been meaning to stick on gumtree. It worked very well for us as part of a space saving strategy but no longer required. Pm me if you’re interested and I can send photos and details later. 

OP James Malloch 16 Aug 2019

Thanks for all of the replies - due to the space we’ve got we don’t have a TV so that wouldn’t work unfortunately. We have a projector but I don’t think the quality would be sufficient as I’ll be using it for lots of coding / data analysis with work so ideally it needs to be on a proper desk. 

The articulated arm suggestion is interesting - I’ll see whether we can make that work. 

Lots of interesting products on the link that was provided too - thank you! The things available these days are amazing! 

Sorry for my late reply - It’s been a bit of a crazy week and I kept forgetting to check back in. However the suggestions are much appreciated. I’m planning to look at a bit computer store soon too and spend some time taking down normal monitors so see how easy they are to take the base off so it can be put away flat on a shelf. Hopefully something will suit!

spenser 16 Aug 2019

My Viewsonic Monitor has a single quarter turn fastener attaching the monitor to the base, so it's dead easy to take down/ put up. If there's some way in which you can leave the cabling plumbed in and you connect using HDMI you will have speakers and monitor dealt with via 2 cables (HDMI and power).

wintertree 16 Aug 2019

What computer is the monitor for?  There are various ways - some more contrived than others - to use a tablet as a monitor.  I sometimes use my iPad as a second display on my laptop when travelling for example.  This works well for document reading and editing but the interface is a bit slow/crap for intensive stuff like CAD of gaming.

elsewhere 16 Aug 2019

Wireless monitor (or adapter) to reduce setup faff.

With a spare hdmi cable for debugging wireless connections!

mp3ferret 16 Aug 2019

How about somehting like a console drawer ( meant for  a server room - but could work ).  Something like  : https://www.comms-express.com/products/17-inch-aten-cl1000-lcd-console-draw...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...