Purple heron and mole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 01 Oct 2022

Seeing a purple heron was brilliant, but watching it catch and eat a mole was amazing. Felt very, very lucky. Gave great views as well. Four Whopper swans, swallow, dunlin, ruff, 4 marsh harriers close together and redshank were other good highlights. Crazy weather though, very atmospheric. oh, chiffchaff and yellowhammers his morning, and a flock of 20 skylark and a close encounter with a Sparrowhawk. 

Post edited at 17:58

Billhook 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

A good tick - and watching it catch must have taken some patience.

David Riley 01 Oct 2022

Seems a strange place for a mole ?

In reply to David Riley:

Aye, know what you mean. It caught the mole a few feet up the bank, and appeared to drag it to the waters edge and drown it. The water levels are usually lower, they are managed by sluice gates, but we’ve had plenty of rain recently. 

In reply to Billhook:

I’ve been lucky recently. Went to Martin mere (family visit) and on the way to the hide word was out that the heron was showing well. It normally feeds in ditches, usually outside the reserve boundaries, only seen in flight when it gets spooked.  Last week, a pectoral sandpiper was right in front of the hide (landing there ten seconds before I entered the hide). I do spend hours and hours watching birds, so deserve a bit of luck. 

Excellent BC. Nice to hear what you see and with photos. Looked up Purple Heron in guide for interest; so much to learn!

I’ve not been out for a while, but a friend messaged last week to say he had had a Red-legged Partridge visit his garden in the rural Borders; a striking colourful bird. Grey is all I’ve seen earlier in the year.

Need to get back out bird watching soon! Look forward to hearing if you saw your Short Eared Owls and got any photos.

Michael Hood 02 Oct 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Roaches Skyline, Newstones, Baldstones area is good for Short-eared Owls (I realise you're a weeny way north of there)

In reply to Michael Hood:

Cheers. If I get down that way I’ll try and have a look. Similarly, if I’m down near Martin Mere from what BC posts that will have to be a worthwhile visit.

Still lots to see up here; I’ll just have to get out more!!

Michael Hood 02 Oct 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> Cheers. If I get down that way I’ll try and have a look.

Unfortunately, it's nowhere near a dead cert, you still have to be lucky

In reply to Michael Hood:

Yes appreciate that, thanks. One of the many lessons learnt with bird watching this year - no guarantees of seeing any particular species. Doesn’t stop me hoping though when I head out to certain places looking.

Listening to the more experienced has paid dividends though even if sometimes a few visits are needed before any sightings. I’ve had lots of great help which is much appreciate this year to get started.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...