Puppy training books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stichtplate 19 Dec 2020

There's a ton of them out there, any recommendations?

Bob Kemp 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

We’ve been using a title by Pippa Mattinson, and it’s pretty clear and comprehensive. No one book covers everything you want, or in a way that suits every puppy and situation so we’ve supplemented this with various web sources when necessary.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Puppy-Handbook-Definitive-Training/dp/009195...

(Not a rec for Amazon btw, just a convenient reference.)

balmybaldwin 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy was very good at setting MY mindset in the right place.

I also liked the Pippa Mattison one

Post edited at 12:29
 Bacon Butty 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

What does the cat have to say about you bringing a puppy into his house?

Timmd 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Bacon Butty:

That reminds me of my neighbour's 2 cats, which never really got on, sitting next to each other in solidarity while the new puppy pranced back and forth, trying to engage with them towards getting them to play, it was in vain.

Post edited at 12:38
OP Stichtplate 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Bacon Butty:

> What does the cat have to say about you bringing a puppy into his house?

The puppy’s arrival is still a month off.

We told her last night. She is feigning total indifference, but is actually plotting furiously. My money is on the cat.

Dax H 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Always back the cat. 

They do seem rather tolerant of puppies though, ours is a fighting Tom but he was fine with both puppies coming in the house and fine with the tiny rescue rabbits we brought home too. 

OP Stichtplate 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> Always back the cat. 

> They do seem rather tolerant of puppies though, ours is a fighting Tom but he was fine with both puppies coming in the house and fine with the tiny rescue rabbits we brought home too. 

We’ve got our fingers crossed that the cat’s well hidden maternal instincts kick in. We met the pup’s parents and both have beautiful temperaments so we’re hoping things don’t get too heated

Timmd 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

I seem to be turning into my Mum - 'little treasure'. 

The cat that is

Post edited at 14:01
 James Malloch 19 Dec 2020
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy was very good at setting MY mindset in the right place.

We’ve used this too. Nice and easy to read and offers plenty of good tips/insight

Dave the Rave 19 Dec 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

I read ‘ Oi you cent’ by a relative of Barbara Woodhouse. If you skip the first few pages of being nice, and then get down to the nitty gritty, you may end up with a good dog.

OP Stichtplate 20 Dec 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

So far we’ve got three solid recommendations, but how did your dogs turn out? 
15 years is a big commitment and we’re currently equal parts excitement and apprehension (OK, mainly excitement ).

Post edited at 00:29

Andy Gamisou 20 Dec 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

> We’ve got our fingers crossed that the cat’s well hidden maternal instincts kick in.

I wouldn't worry too much about cat/dog interactions.  Our cat/dog timeline over the last 15 years has been:

2 cats, 2 cats + 1 dog, 1 cat +1 dog, 1 dog, 1 cat + 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 cat + 1 dog, 1 cat + 2 dogs, 1.75 cats + 2 dogs, 1.75 cats + 3 dogs, 2.75 cats + 3 dogs (current state)

To summarise: 4.75 different cats and 4 different dogs at various times. Some dogs have been acquired as puppies, some as adults.  Some cats as kittens, some as adults. There's never been any problems inter-species wise.  Intra-species wise, a bit trickier at times. 

Might depend on dog breed though.  All ours have been GSDs (or half GSDs).  We did foster a terrier for about a month, and he couldn't be left alone with the cats.  In a previous life we've also had spaniels and border collies mixing with house cats, again with no problem.

Have a typical picture (taken today).

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Cheers. Both looking reassuringly chilled there.

balmybaldwin 20 Dec 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Very much a work in progress at 9 months, but seems to be doing pretty well, but still has random chewing sessions when you least expect it

That very much looks like a work in progress

I wonder how receptive work will be to me having an "emotional support dog"?

Dax H 20 Dec 2020

That's my house, 2 year old pup and a 6 month old. Destruction on a scale unheard of. 

They have very happy pups though so I don't care. 

balmybaldwin 20 Dec 2020
In reply to Dax H:

It's all that matters.  His latest trick is stealing any remote control left within reach and hiding under the dining room table with his tail wagging

Dax H 21 Dec 2020

And there be the problem, they know full well if they wag their tail (or entire bum in the case of one of ours) they can get away with anything. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...