Pub Food Near Yorkshire Sculpture Park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Any recommendations for good pub food within a 20 minute drive of the Yorkshire Sculpture Park please? I generally like cozy / real fire / real ale places more than Sky Sports and bouncy castles. 

John Ww 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Either Spencer Arms at Cawthorne - not cheap, but very nice, or The Dunkirk (between Lower Denby and Denby Dale) - equally nice, with a really good selection of real ales. Either option would do the job.

Tom Valentine 27 Nov 2019

The Kaye Arms is fairly close by but I'm not sure if a gastropub is what you're after. Outstanding food, nevertheless.( I actually enjoy the food in the YSP itself, though)

Post edited at 10:40
 Pete Pozman 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

The pub at Upper Denby has fantastic pies and carol singing this time of year. 

Removed User 27 Nov 2019

Fodder at the YSP is good.

If you want a pub, The Cherry Tree at High Hoyland is very close by especially if you walk in from the South (saves car parking fees). It has the best views in the area and is a proper local pub which serves ale and unfussy food.

Post edited at 13:51
 John Ww 27 Nov 2019

Two more tips...

1. Take your wellies!! Everywhere is absolutely sodden at the moment

2. If you want to avoid the somewhat "enthusiastic" parking charges at the YSP, i.e.

All day: £12.00 / 1–2 Hours: £6.50 / Up to 1 hour: £3.50

park at High Hoyland (and have a pint in the Cherry Tree) and walk north down the road past the church, then take the footpath at GR SE 275 114 north east on the Barnsley Boundary Walk, which takes you right into the middle of the park. You can also park on the roadside next the end of the path. From High Hoyland it's just a short drive (or even a walk) down through Cannon Hall to the Spencer Arms.

HTH, JW

John Ww 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Indeed - a wide variety of the finest pies, all home made on the premises, served with mushy peas and gravy, and washed down with a pint of the finest Taylor's Landlord. And it's not often you walk into a pub where the sign on the door says "No shotguns to be brought into the pub please".  

In reply to everyone:

Thanks all. I’ll take wellies too!

John Ww 27 Nov 2019

The pub at Upper Denby is The George by the way.

Anthony Hirst 27 Nov 2019

Hi,

There is an offer on 'Travel Zoo' for the YSP for all day parking together with brunch for two.

Tony Hirst  

In reply to Anthony Hirst:

Cheers.

In reply to Anthony Hirst:

Eggs florentine for me, please. And , further to the caffeine thread elsewhere, YSP s decaff is the best I ve had anywhere in the nine months I've gone without.

Andrew Lodge 27 Nov 2019

The 3 Acres takes some beating but is not cheap, depends what you are looking for.

John Ww 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

The words “cheap” and “3 Acres” are only ever uttered in the same sentence when accompanied by hysterical laughter.

Post edited at 18:19
 Andrew Lodge 27 Nov 2019
In reply to John Ww:

CAWT

John Ww 27 Nov 2019

Eh??

And to think I had reservations about suggesting the Kaye Arms........

John Ww 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I hear that even the Sultan of Brunei winced when he saw the bill...

Andrew Lodge 27 Nov 2019
In reply to John Ww:

Can't Argue With That

John Ww 27 Nov 2019

Aha!

John Ww 27 Nov 2019

The most surprising thing to me about this thread is the number of people on UKC who know this very small area so well - it’s not like we’re talking about the Hunter’s Bar pubs.

Andrew Lodge 27 Nov 2019
In reply to John Ww:

Well I do live here, Kirkheaton.

In reply to John Ww:

Just shows how many UKC ers are lucky enough to have such a wonderful facility as the YSP on their doorstep.

(And the Hepworth)

John Ww 28 Nov 2019

Oh, the memories of overindulgence in the Kirkstile when I lived in Lascelles Hall (and I mean the Hall itself, not the area)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...