Pregnancy through deception

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 19 Jan 2019

I always find cases like this unsettling. The man is the victim but finds no sympathy from the courts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46924289

wintertree 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

It wasn’t clear to me from the article what costs he was tying to recoup. 

Some scattered thoughts about my view:

If he has been made by the state to pay child support that is atrocious.

The thriving, lying, fraudulent partner is more at fault than the clinic.  

I really don’t like the attitude of the courts in this.

I’m not leaving my sperm anywhere.  Always good advice anyhow...

In reply to wintertree:

It was vague but it appeared that he had to pay child maintenance. I can't find confirmation of this though. The precedent came from the house of lords, now the supreme court who had previously declared a child is a blessing and can't be seen as a financial burden. I hope he appeals.

Dax H 19 Jan 2019

I like the part about a child is a blessing and should not be seen as a burden. My take is if you put part A in to slot B and child C pops out of slot B 9 months later then like it or not its your responsibility. Keep your fly zipped or your legs closed if your not willing to roll the dice. 

In this case though the guy has been screwed and not in the good way, he should be within his rights to walk away from the whole thing, I couldn't though. Even if I hated the mother I would want to do right by my child and the fertility clinic should be covering the cost of their mistake and I would like to see some form of punishment for the mum but I can't think of anything that would not have a negative impact on her children. 

Yanis Nayu 19 Jan 2019

It’s a bit like women getting pregnant by failing to take contraception they claim they’re taking. It’s a shitty thing to do, but society seems to be quite blasé about issues where women’s poor behaviour adversely affects men. 

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I think there's a big difference between what you have described and what took place in this incident. Forgery of a signature to fraudulently obtain access to frozen embryos is a bit worse than poor behaviour. And the court shrugs it's shoulders and says tough shit.

Yanis Nayu 19 Jan 2019

I agree. 

> supreme court who had previously declared a child is a blessing and can't be seen as a financial burden

In that case, the child is no financial burden to the mother, and therefore there should be no need for the father to contribute to this zero financial burden...? Or his contribution should be zero.

Timmd 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> It’s a bit like women getting pregnant by failing to take contraception they claim they’re taking. It’s a shitty thing to do, but society seems to be quite blasé about issues where women’s poor behaviour adversely affects men. 

It might seem like it does in instances like this, but I can't help wondering if men scarpering off after getting a woman pregnant happens more often - which is why the child maintenance rules came into place in the first place? Before that, women were (in all senses) left holding the baby.

Post edited at 12:54
 nathan79 19 Jan 2019

An absolutely shameful situation. How can the law allow a woman to do this and get away with it?! 

I feel for the father who had no choice in the matter and hope the child has a good life despite the disgrace of woman it has for a mother.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...