Post COVID chest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello other post-COVID sufferers.

I tested positive on 14th and was wiped out for two days. Reasonably recovered by 18/19th and whilst I still have a tickle I started to run again last week. Managed 2 runs, one of a mile and one a little longer. I also walk the dog for an hour a day.

The last few days I have noticed that even walking the dog is starting to hurt. I can only describe it as having a very heavy object sat on my chest and and burning sensation in my lungs. Both my arms hurt too when I'm active.

I have just tried to have another run but managed only a qtr of a mile before my chest pretty much closed down.

As I say, apart from a slight cough/tickle when I speak for a while I feel OK. Anyone else had any similar experiences and recovery recommendations?

Post edited at 17:39
 Jenny C 01 Feb 2023
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

STOP

Take a full month off running and focus on rest and recuperation.

Far too many people with Long Covid believe their failure to recover is in part the fault of pushing themselves too hard immediately after their initial infection. Just because you had relatively mild symptoms in no way protects you from LC, infact many sufferers find their health becomes worse than it was when they had an active infection.

Michael Hood 01 Feb 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

> Far too many people with Long Covid believe their failure to recover is in part the fault of pushing themselves too hard immediately after their initial infection.

This pushing too hard too soon is what causes lots of CFS/ME which has a lot of overlap with LC sufferers.

twoshoes 01 Feb 2023

Definitely ease off for a bit. I've had long covid for twelve months now and I wonder if in part it was due to attempting to go back to work too early. (I had a physical job.) 

On the other hand, one thing covid did to me was mess up my lungs for a while. I have very mild asthma (generally not noticeable). After covid I was having asthma attacks at least once a day until various new inhalers got them under control. My lungs seemed to recover after a couple of months, but covid can definitely do a number on them. A few of my friends also say they felt unusually breathless for some time after covid. You might just need a bit of time to let them settle. 

Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Post edited at 18:09
In reply to Jenny C:

> STOP

> Take a full month off running and focus on rest and recuperation.

> Far too many people with Long Covid believe their failure to recover is in part the fault of pushing themselves too hard immediately after their initial infection. Just because you had relatively mild symptoms in no way protects you from LC, infact many sufferers find their health becomes worse than it was when they had an active infection.

Defo worse than last week.

Dave the Rave 01 Feb 2023

Sounds like you need to relax your recovery.

You're symptoms sound like bronchospasm which asthmatics get when a stimulant, such as cold air, entering the lungs causes your bronchioles to contract.

Walk the dog, but try to maintain a flow of warm air into the lungs rather than cold air, by breathing through a scarf or mask.

If it’s still happening with minimal exertion, see your GP for a steroid inhaler or bronchodilator.

Monk 01 Feb 2023

Definitely stop! Took me 6 weeks of gentle walks to get back to a relatively normal baseline (ie not having my breathing and heart rate spike at the minimum effort). This is from being pretty fit, mountain biking in the Peak 4 times a week. 

ExiledScot 02 Feb 2023

I got some relatively professional advice on this last feb, I was pretty fit, a month out from several big events and had covid. 

Advice I was given said do nothing other than walk for 2 weeks after last covid symptoms disappear, then build up weekly 30,50,70,85% of previous training level, throwing in a recovery week if you feel the need. From first having covid it could easily be 10-12weeks before normality returns. For some even longer.

You might be vaccinated, but your body has been and still is working hard fitting the infection, repairing cellular damage etc.. this holding back on training is likely tough psychologically, but play the long game. 

stubbed 02 Feb 2023

I had exactly the same. Walking the dog brought on chest pains. If it's any help, it only lasted a week or so (but then I wasn't running)

plyometrics 02 Feb 2023

Defo what Jenny C says.

This statement says it all: “I have just tried to have another run but managed only a qtr of a mile before my chest pretty much closed down.”

Your body’s telling you something, listen to it. 

Take it easy dude. Wishing you the very best of luck with your recovery.

Neil Williams 02 Feb 2023
In reply to Dave the Rave:

It's not unusual for viruses to bring on post-viral asthma, either temporary or permanent.  Sadly for me it was permanent but it may be temporary for you.  Take your time and speak to your doctor.

(It wasn't COVID that did it for me, it was something else about 6-7 years back)

Right, Ive read the replies and I'm putting away the trainers until further notice.

From Sheffield train station to Tamper on Arundal Street today I was out of breath - great cafe BTW for anyone in the area.

I will continue to walk the dog and play golf but if walking a short distance is having this response then running is a no-no.

Thanks for the well wishes

Jenny C 02 Feb 2023

Just take it really easy and listen to your body. Stay mobile, but try to avoid getting breathless or tired from pushing too hard - not easy if you're normally an active person and used to fighting through the pain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...