Post Brexit Travel with Pets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 04 Jul 2021

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on travelling with a pet post-brexit?

I understand you need to get a certificate for your pet in the 10 days before you travel, and that certificate would be valid for 4 months (more than I’m allowed!!).

I’m trying to work out what the rules would be if, for example, you spent 2 months in the EU, and then went to a non-EU county for a bit (say Turkey for 2 months) and then wanted to return to the EU. 

If you returned within the 4 month period, would the original certificate still be valid?

If not, can you get a new certificate without having to travel back to the UK?

And I guess the same question if you returned to the EU more than 4 months since you first got the certificate?

And would going to another non-EU complicate things - I assume coming from Turkey might add additional checks before re-entry?

Any knowledge of this kind of thing would be much appreciated!

SouthernSteve 04 Jul 2021
In reply to James Malloch:

Have you looked at: https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/print

I think Turkey will cause you a lot of extra work - you may have to investigate the rules between Turkey and the EU in some detail which may not be available from the APHA.

It's so much more awkward going to the EU now after Brexit, but many vets are getting familiar with the process (as it is the same for NI). You may need to consider the effects of possible self-isolations etc for yourselves in considering timings for your pet to avoid a conflict that might not be able to be resolved.

If you’re travelling to the EU or Northern Ireland

Contact the Pet Travel Scheme helpline if you need more information about pet travel.

Pet Travel Scheme helpline  
pettravel@apha.gov.uk 
Telephone: 0370 241 1710  
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays)  

If you’re travelling to a non-EU country

Contact APHA if you need more information about pet travel to a non-EUcountry.

Animal and Plant Health Agency  
exports@apha.gov.uk 
Telephone: 03000 200 301  
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm  

jethro kiernan 04 Jul 2021

Is the certificate patriotic blue?

wbo2 04 Jul 2021
In reply to James Malloch:  European rules... https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/animal-plant/index_en.ht...

So doesn't appear too difficult to move Turkey to Europe, and vice versa.  The fact you're British is irrelevant in this context

nniff 04 Jul 2021

Just given our dog a rabies booster and recorded it in his now obsolete UK/EU passport.  To 'export' your pet you now need a certificate which is effectively an animal export certificate which is only valid for 4 months (maybe 3).  If your are hopping in and out of the EU regularly, it is apparently sensible to get an EU passport for the beast  from an EU vet (the animal has no nationality)- but you need to keep that up to date in the EU.  Otherwise, you need to keep refreshing your animal export certificate at £140 a go or whatever it is.

In case you were wondering, this seizing of control is the sort of thing that [................................] voted for. I am, as you might have gathered, so xxxxxxxx delighted by all this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...