possible scam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 david100 24 Aug 2021

hello all.

I think that I have just avoided being scammed. I am posting this to raise awareness. I replied to a sale post from somebody who I believe to be a genuine poster. I got an email through ukc offering me a discount and other information to elicit sympathy. I realise now on closer examination that the username on this email was not the same as that of the genuine poster. Further conversation ensued and the scammer asked for payment in bitcoin or paypal gift cards. At this point I realised something was amiss. After the initial post via ukh the scammer had used an email address which I have found through a quick search to be involved in previous internet scams. The scammers initial approach came from loadersam via ukh. This may be a genuine user but I cannot see any history or info. The surprise to me about this is that somebody has gone to a lot of trouble to try and collect the sum of 35 pounds. Has anybody else had this experience.  

In reply to david100:

Can you forward the email to me please? paul@ukclimbing.com

OP david100 24 Aug 2021
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

done

In reply to david100:

I've banned that user. A brand new user requesting Bitcoin or PayPal gift cards as payment is highly suspect.

Thanks for reporting it, we've never had anyone try this on UKC/UKH before.

Message Removed 25 Aug 2021
Reason: Included SPAM link
OrangeBob 27 Aug 2021
In reply to david100:

I have had something similar with an email, supposedly from my father in law, asking for help buying Amazon gift vouchers for a friend. The request was that I buy the vouchers and email him the codes, then he would reimburse me.

Being as he doesn't even use internet banking I guessed it wasn't really from him.

This scammer faked my father in law's email address in their first message, then used a similar address with a different service provider name for the second (I strung them along a bit).

Bearing in mind a lot of people have to do 4 hours of manual labour for £35, emailing you to ask for the money isn't much work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...