Politicians as climbing partners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris_Mellor 01 Sep 2020

If you had to have a politician as a climbing partner, which one would it be?

I thought Michael Gove as he ought to be competent with the gear and rope handling, although he'd probably tell you your climbing was all wrong and mutter constantly about dealing with the BMC blob.

Lankyman 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

I'd think for an evening at Anglezarke, Maggie might be useful in overcoming

Corned Beef Dictator (E1 5a)

Falkland Groove (VS 4c)

Rob Exile Ward 01 Sep 2020

I'd like to climb with Johnson. In fact, if you see him, why not mention it? He'd be perfectly safe with me... 

girlymonkey 01 Sep 2020

Mrs May claimed to be a strong and steady leader....not sure I want to be on the other end though!

Martin Hore 01 Sep 2020

Well, I climbed Eliminate A once following behind a team led by Janusz Onyszkiewicz - Polish Solidarity politician and latterly eminent European parliamentarian. His partner that day, and in life I believe, was the late Alison Chadwick.

Chris Smith, Labour Environment Secretary under Tony Blair was a successful Munroist. 

Not quite a politician as such, but Norman Smith, BBC Assistant Political Editor, was for a number of years a member of our own mountaineering club. 

Lord Hailsham (Quentin Hogg), Tory leadership contender in the 60's, was I believe a competent mountaineer. 

And Pierre Mazeaud, prominent French politician, was an alpinist of note and first Frenchman to ascend Everest in 1978.

So mountaineering/climbing has it's adherents in all walks of life, politics included. I suspect I would happily have climbed with any of the above.

Martin

Removed User 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

How about climbing with Maggie to enable Various Obscenities Directed at Margaret Thatcher (HS 4a) at that classic quarried grit venue Nab End Quarry?

Post edited at 15:17
 Timmd 01 Sep 2020

Winston Churchill, Robin Cook, Caroline Lucas, all had/have a certain fortitude about them I think.

Post edited at 15:25
 Ian Parsons 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Martin Hore:

I believe, too, that there's an ex-MEP by the name of R Messner; sounds like he might know his way round a karabiner.

DerwentDiluted 01 Sep 2020

My Grandfather used to climb with Ernie Marples, one time minister for transport and postmaster general. Responsible for introducing postcodes, opening the M1 and quite a lot of philandering and tax evasion.

Marples that was, not my Grandad.

profitofdoom 01 Sep 2020

> If you had to have a politician as a climbing partner, which one would it be?

Nixon - write fake descriptions

Trump - get me out of trouble

Mussolini - handle porters

Attila the Hun - base camp

Lenin - guidebook writer

Andy Clarke 01 Sep 2020

> I thought Michael Gove as he ought to be competent with the gear and rope handling, although he'd probably tell you your climbing was all wrong and mutter constantly about dealing with the BMC blob.

Risky. You could well find your ascent invalidated if he tested positive.

bouldery bits 01 Sep 2020

This week, Gavin Williamson. Indian Face I think. Not my lead. 

The late Sam Galbraith, onetime MP for Strathkelvin and Bearsden and Minister for Education in the Scottish Parliament was an excellent climbing partner_ not many politicians have done Point 5 on the Ben and climbed in the Himalayas. He could also more than hold his own Inthe pub. Was a brain surgeon  by trade.

balmybaldwin 01 Sep 2020

Wasn't Donald Tusk a climber of some sort in his youth?

Removed User 01 Sep 2020

Stephen Milligan certainly had an interest in ropework although perhaps needed to practice a little more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Milligan

..and in the interests of political balance I should also nominate a so far anonymous Labour MP who seems to also share a fascination in ropework.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7967413/mp-cut-bondage-session-sex-dungeon/

Removed User 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Don't knock it till you've tryed it

HansStuttgart 01 Sep 2020
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Wasn't Donald Tusk a climber of some sort in his youth?

this picture remains pretty amazing for a high level politician: https://twitter.com/KasiaMichalska_/status/1093208270427312128

wercat 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

Winston Churchill climbed the Wetterhorn as a youth

Timmd 01 Sep 2020
In reply to wercat:

I was picturing him as an enduring mountaineering sort. 

Jim Fraser 01 Sep 2020

Danny Alexander. He's as daft as I am and I know he doesn't mind how much I inevitably talk about helicopters.

Hat Dude 01 Sep 2020

None of the current government would be any good at seconding as they are incapable of saying "that's me"!

Doug 02 Sep 2020

If MSPs are included there must be a few more, don't think he climbs anymore but I used to climb with Andy Wightman MSP when we were both students. Sure he can't be the only MSP who climbs/has climbed on a regular basis;

From a different part of the political spectrum, Michael Forsyth, once a minister in Thatcher's cabinet & now in the Lords, used to work at the Clachaig when a student. He is/was a keen hill walker but was he ever a climber ?

Trevers 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Doug:

Probably Dominic Cummings for an attempt at the West Face of Siula Grande.

Timmd 02 Sep 2020
In reply to wercat:

For some reason Conservative politicians are coming to mind, Douglas Hurd seems like he'd be an alright climbing partner, like he's a decent character. 

I don't know how he's voted on things relating to equality though, gay rights and women's rights, and working practices too, but I've always thought he seemed decent.

Like he wouldn't want to skedaddle if things got tricky...

Post edited at 14:09
Dom Connaway 02 Sep 2020

> If you had to have a politician as a climbing partner, which one would it be?

I climbed with a pair of politicians recently as a rope of three. Can't say I'd repeat the experience: first one lead up to an easy overhang, dithered for what seemed like months, then handed the lead to her colleague and abseiled off. This joker decided the route we were on was a bit dull so headed off up an unknown wall. Pretty soon we were in a holdless vertical no man's land. Every time I suggested the original route might have been better he just shouted down something about " getting it done" and carried straight on. Hopeless.

Jon Stewart 02 Sep 2020

If I had big ambitions and just wanted to crack on with the leading with someone to hold the rope and take the flak for any mishaps and cock-ups along the way, I'd get Nick Clegg on the case. To entice him, I'd promise he could do Proportional Representation (HVS 5a) but then shaft him with the alternative Casting Vote (E1 5c).

Post edited at 14:53
 Bob Kemp 02 Sep 2020

Any volunteers to partner Failing Grayling?

blurty 02 Sep 2020

Johnny Mercer. I don't condone his politics but he seems to be a top bloke otherwise.

wercat 02 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

pretty sure Ted Heath would have been a decent companion  - plenty of people sailed with him and he served as an artillery officer during the liberation of Western Europe

ro8x 02 Sep 2020
In reply to blurty:

Would be my choice too, can't say i agree with him with a great deal politically but he seems a fairly decent fella.

Dr.S at work 02 Sep 2020

Does Rory the Tory still count as a politician? Good for a long walk if nothing else.

Sean Kelly 02 Sep 2020

John Smith the former Labour leader was ticking Munros before his untimely death. I met his parliamentary assistant a couple of weeks later in the Clachaig, and he had to remove Smith's Munro chart from the office wall after he died. Quite sad really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...