Plumbing: what is this? (it's a shower mixer)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oujmik 10 Jul 2019

https://imgur.com/Uj3qF0X

I want to replace this thermostatic (I think) shower mixer as it is badly scaled and no longer works correctly (the thermostatic cartridge has presumbly scaled up as the temperature is now just 100% hot water, which is bearable as we have our hot water at 40). However, I don't know what brand it is or what models it would be interchangeable with, I can't see anything very like it online. I asked one plumber and they just wanted to replace it with an entirely different style (the bar type) which would be a hassle and also leave a big hole in the tiles. The pipes enter from behind through the wall. It has no branding that I can see.

simondgee 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Oujmik:

have you checked to see if it has a replaceable cartridge? 

OP Oujmik 10 Jul 2019
In reply to simondgee:

I can't figure out how to get it apart and have been cautioned against doing so unless I'm prepared to replace it if it falls to bits.

simondgee 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Oujmik:

i suspect you unscrew the the levers from the body ...these will be locking the chrome body caps over the brass gubbins underneath. the chrome caps will slide off and the brass vale unit will then be accessible.

but yes I feel your fear!

girlymonkey 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Oujmik:

Ours is fairly new and has the same style. Unhelpfully, I don't know where we got it, but they do exist still!

Fruitbat 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Oujmik:

If you want to replace with a similar type (built-in valve) then it shouldn't be too difficult to fit something more modern https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/showers/mixer-showers/products/?installation-...

Can you get access to the supply pipes and the valve?

marsbar 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Oujmik:

Looks like the third one to me? 

https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/round-concealed-shower-valves-1060-0000

Given the tiling you may be better taking it to pieces, I can't see how you'd replace it without having to re-tile.  

It may he possible to get a cartridge if you can identify it. 

Or take it to bits and soak it all in vinegar. 

Grohe do some similar shaped valves and they are good quality.  

Your plumber went for the cheap and easy option in my opinion.  

Post edited at 22:01
 Snyggapa 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Oujmik:

looking closely at it the handles may unscrew and if they unscrew the shroud will probably pop off - although likely held on with significant amount of cruddage. 

Alternatively, you might find the end cap is literally just that - a cap that pops off and reveals a screw. are there any signs of a join ?

OP Oujmik 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Snyggapa:

The front handle unscrews, and beneath is a tiny bolt with hex key head, exactly the type of thing you would use to keep a slide-on ring in place... but loosening it doesn't result in any movement. The back handle doesn't appear to unscrew. It rotates a little but not in a way that suggests it's going to unscrew. I'm not risking taking the only shower in the house out of action - my wife would kill me!

It's very similar to the one linked by marsbar... and yes I can access the back, it's in a cupboard. The pipes are run through a very sturdy bit of plywood behind which I assume are some sizeable holes in the wall.

Post edited at 22:42
 marsbar 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Oujmik:

If the back is in a cupboard then that makes life much easier and there would be no reason whatsoever to replace with a  bar.

I suspect the hex bolt  needs to come out completely.  However I don't think you should upset your wife.  

Post edited at 22:51
 Neil Williams 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Oujmik:

As an aside beware of having your hot water at 40, it's too low to ensure there isn't buildup of the likes of Legionella.  I believe 65 is recommended as it is hot enough to prevent this.

OP Oujmik 10 Jul 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

It's a combi system so there's no storage of hot water, but HSE still seems to recommend 50 even in this case... not viable until I've fixed the shower.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/legionella.htm

In reply to Oujmik:

Yep, once fixed you should probably still up it a bit.  It can still develop in pipework, heat exchanger etc.

Post edited at 23:17
In reply to Oujmik:

Re your original question, there are plenty of round ones on the market, if the cartridge isn't replaceable just swap the whole thing (plumbing skill or a plumber required).  As I have a modulating boiler (all newish ones are; they reduce the gas flow if the water flow reduces so the output hot water is always at the specified temperature) I can't be bothered with a thermostatic one, the boiler prevents the water ending up scalding if the bog gets flushed.

One example:

https://tapstore.com/tapstore-sl3-round-thermostatic-shower-valve.html

though it's a little pricey, if you shop around you'll certainly find one a lot cheaper.  Actually looks like that might be the same one!

Post edited at 23:22
 Myfyr Tomos 11 Jul 2019
In reply to Oujmik:

Before starting to dismantle, cover the waste pipe in the shower tray with masking tape or similar. Saves a whole lot of hassle should a grub screw go "plop".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...