Plantation Shutters.. Advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 29 Jul 2021

I fancy having a go at making some Plantation Shutters for my house. Not interested in buying any and having somebody fit them for me.

I'd appreciate any tips or advice on how to make them would be muchly appreciated.

jkarran 30 Jul 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

What tools have you got? I'm fancying some too but can't justify a half decent table saw or see a sensible way around one. I guess paying to have the slats milled would work but it goes against my inclinations.

Jk

Toerag 30 Jul 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

I think you need to find hinges that will fit first. The rest is just woodwork. Will be a nice project I think. Quality materials will be key as the sections will be relatively thin.

OP The Lemming 30 Jul 2021
In reply to jkarran:

> What tools have you got?

I've got a Router which I bought to make my Bed. Never used it since.

Happy to buy other kit as they will probably cost less than getting a company to make and fit the shutters.

😀

OP The Lemming 30 Jul 2021
In reply to Toerag:

> I think you need to find hinges that will fit first.

Any ideas where I could get some hinges because I'm drawing a blank at the moment?

Cheers

OP The Lemming 03 Aug 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

Hopeful bump for more info

Reach>Talent 03 Aug 2021
In reply to jkarran:

> What tools have you got? I'm fancying some too but can't justify a half decent table saw or see a sensible way around one.

What cuts were you seeing as problematic; most table saw cuts can be done with a plunge saw with some ingenuity? 

Reach>Talent 03 Aug 2021
In reply to jkarran:

Was going to add this to my earlier reply but was too slow with the edit.

Have a look through Peter Millard's YouTube videos on tracksaws for some useful tips for the table saw deficient workshop. I own a tablesaw and a bandsaw but frequently find that making do with a track/plunge saw is quicker than setting them up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...