Plant ID

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 02 Jan 2022

Rhododendron? 

Anyone confirm?

Siward 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Looks classic Rhododendron to me, yes, with those buds. 

65 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Looks like Rhododendron or Azaelea, but I'm not a botanist.

flatlandrich 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Yup.

OP Flinticus 02 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks all

Rog Wilko 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Almost certainly a rhodie. Is it in your garden or out in the wild?

HardenClimber 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Yes, and it's a weed. (and I mean that pejoratively)

OP Flinticus 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

In the wild, intentionally planted by unknpwn party

Rog Wilko 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

> In the wild, intentionally planted by unknpwn party

Pull it up and burn it. Or plant it in your garden.

Post edited at 11:55
 J101 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

Somewhat invasive, no idea why anyone would intentionally plant one in the wild.

Probably one they were getting rid of and didn't want to kill it so done with good intentions but I'd have it out if I were you.

Might look good in a pot for you?

Edit: Seconding what Rog Wilko said.

Post edited at 12:01
OP Flinticus 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

My thoughts too. Just wanted to be sure of species and status of plant (illegal to plant in the wild)

Tringa 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

It looks like R. ponticum and if so then it is an invasive species. I think it is unlikely it was planted deliberately. Each plant is capable of producing hundreds of thousands very light seeds that can be carried easily by the wind.

Dave

OP Flinticus 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Tringa:

It has (been deliberately planted). There's a little ring of stone around it and the ground cleared within the ring.

Tringa 03 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

> It has (been deliberately planted). There's a little ring of stone around it and the ground cleared within the ring.

That is a shame. If someone wanted to plant a rhododendron then there are many other much less invasive and better flowered ones to plant, though as R. ponticum is, in some places, very common it can be had for nothing.

Better to have planted, eg  a larch, silver birch or rowan.

Dave 

Rog Wilko 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

> It has (been deliberately planted). There's a little ring of stone around it and the ground cleared within the ring.

It has just occurred to me that this might have been someone's memorial to a loved person or animal. But I still think they shouldn't have done it. Reminds me of coming down off Bidean Nam Bian in the dark after a winter climb. Through the mirk I saw a little cairn on a prominence which, when I got there, could have led the unwary on to dangerous ground, so I knocked it down. This process revealed a jar containing a memorial to a climber or walker who died there. My feelings were mixed, to say the least. 

OP Flinticus 05 Jan 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Probably is. No excuse though (I know you're not saying it was). Plant a holly instead, or any number of non-invasive plants

I'm tempted to place a boulder in the middle of my nearest junction with a memorial plaque.

I've reported it as a NNS planting via environment.gov

AllanMac 06 Jan 2022
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm thinking it could be an azalea because it looks to have slender stems with a flower bud on the end of each, as opposed to fewer thicker stems of rhododendrons.

There's no excuse whatsoever for deliberately planting non-indigenous species out in the wild even if it is a memorial, and even if it's non-invasive. It belongs in a garden. Something like birch or rowan would have been much better, but being non-poisonous they need more aftercare and protection from deer and rabbits. Maybe that's why it was planted, because nothing will eat it?

HardenClimber 07 Jan 2022
In reply to AllanMac:

Given the invasive nature of rhododendrons I'm not even sure they belong in gardens. And the memorial bit is no excuse.

Rog Wilko 07 Jan 2022
In reply to HardenClimber:

> Given the invasive nature of rhododendrons I'm not even sure they belong in gardens. And the memorial bit is no excuse.

Either a very big garden or a very dwarf species.

Doug 07 Jan 2022

As far as I know, its only Rhododendron ponticum which is invasive in the UK. The several hundred other species  are 'well behaved'.

HardenClimber 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Doug:

Is it not (strictly)(perhaps given the hybrid nature strictly is the wrong word) Rhododendron × superponticum that is the problem.... How many other 'well behaved' Rhododendrons ar established in the uk?

Anyway, I don't think this one deserves any bennefit of doubt.

Jenny C 07 Jan 2022

> Given the invasive nature of rhododendrons I'm not even sure they belong in gardens. And the memorial bit is no excuse.

Depends on the species.

As others have said Ponticum is a thug and yes probably should be banned from being sold/planted. The many other species however are far less invasive and don't deserve an ASBO from gardens.

​​​​​​With regards a memorial though, yes they should have chosen a native species.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...