Planning law?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toby_W 07 Dec 2019

We have just replaced a lean too conservatory with the same but an extension.  We didn't need planning permission but got it anyway.

A wrong window was delivered and put in.  Clear not frosted.  It’s above eye height and looks towards our neighbour, a metre back from boundary, you only see sky.

Will this be allowed, the whole side used to be glass.  Can I just put stick on frosting on or will I have to get the whole window swapped.  It’s only a foot square.  Would they, could they force us to as we did not actually need planning permission and did it for ease later.

Any views from resident experts gratefully received to ease my worries guide my actions.

cheers

Toby

Andy 1902 07 Dec 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

Let us know what jail they put you in!

Serious answer - unless neighbours complain, relax.

The New NickB 07 Dec 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

I wouldn’t worry about it, but you want to comply with the permission, a stick on frosting or similar should be fine.

I’m a planner by training, but I don’t actively deal with applications or enforcement these days.

Deadeye 07 Dec 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

We stuck on tracing paper and then removed it after oking with the neighbours

Pekkie 07 Dec 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

I'm also a planner by training but without recent experience. I built my own conservatory - with frosted glass on the neighbour side. Two things - it might cause problems down the line if you come to sell the property and if the window is only a foot square (?) then I would just replace the glass myself.

Post edited at 21:37
 wintertree 07 Dec 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

In the real world, I’d do nothing and if the neighbour mentions it, offer to fix it ASAP, and if someone shops you to the council and the council are both able and willing to act, just fix it.  Then I’d start getting paranoid about who shopped me and it would all go a bit Philip K. Dick.

In the hypothetical world, why didn’t you need planning permission - because it was a permitted development?  Assuming it was a PD, were the relevant PD rights extinguished as part of the planning permission you were granted?  If they were extinguished you have to comply with the planning permission.  If PD rights weren’t extinguished and your work falls under them I don’t see how you are doing anything wrong.  I should have thought adding some plastic frosting to the inside would be sufficient for any likely compliance visits from the council.  Best just avoid clipboard wielding Prosser types if you can.

OP Toby_W 08 Dec 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Thank you all, sensible and useful advice as ever

Cheers

Toby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...