Photo Driving Licence issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tonker 14 Aug 2022

My wife has just realised her photo driving licence expired in Jan 2020!

Her defence to my 'alarm' was that she was issued with this in 2013 so didn't think it needed renewing until next year..... clearly she didn't check the expiry date until today and there is the issue of why she didn't inform the DVLA of a change of address 3 years ago, hence no reminder was received.

Anyway my question is does anyone have any idea why it would not be valid for 10 years?

She has no medical or other issues and is a standard driver.

She will of course not be driving again until it is renewed....

annieman 14 Aug 2022
In reply to Tonker:

70th Birthday. That is what happened to me. Only renewed up to my 70th, 7 years instead of 10yrs (for me)

OP Tonker 14 Aug 2022
In reply to annieman:

She is 48!

Fiona Reid 14 Aug 2022
In reply to Tonker:

How bizarre, it should definitely be valid for 10 years so your wife was correct on that front. 

Have you checked her dob is correct on the photocard? 

Luke90 14 Aug 2022
In reply to Tonker:

Maybe she was 3 years late renewing it last time around so it was issued in 2013 but only got given 7 years validity because it should have been issued in 2010. No idea whether it works that way, just speculating.

I know my licences only last 5 years because I added a minibus qualification (which is annoying, because I haven't driven a minibus for years, but am bound to need to as soon as I give it up to require less frequent renewals). Maybe there's some other entitlement that gives a 7 year renewal period.

Jenny C 14 Aug 2022
In reply to Tonker:

Send off for renewal ASAP it counts as an out of date licence so driving on it is an offence. Once in the system for renewal you don't have to receive the replacement to drive.

Renewing online is cheaper, quicker and easier than with a paper form, although some changes (eg name) can't be done online as you have to provide original documents.

In reply to Jenny C:

> Once in the system for renewal you don't have to receive the replacement to drive.

I fairly sure that only applies in cases where the licence is valid at time of application. In this case the licence expired Jan 20 from the OP.

Edit: 

“Can I drive while waiting for my new licence?

The DVLA says if your licence expires while it is processing your renewal application, you should be able to continue driving as long as you meet certain conditions, including only driving vehicles you were entitled to drive on your previous licence, not being told by a doctor or optician that you shouldn't drive, and you aren't disqualified from driving.” From https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/renew-driving-licence/

Post edited at 22:04
 hollie_w 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Luke90:

Out of interest (and mild concern for when its due), I've just checked my licence and its only valid for 7.5 years - the issue date was when I changed address last. So maybe its a case of 'the license' (whatever that is...) is for 10 years but the specific photocard is only from whenever any changes have been made, up until that 10 year period?

A tangent thought is that if that is the case, it should then be on a 10-year renewal from the date of passing driving test, which mine is not. Maybe if any changes to address are within x months of the 10 years than the date is changed?

Jenny C 15 Aug 2022
In reply to hollie_w:

Looks like you're right. I couldn't fathom the paperwork to do a name change when renewing my photo (covid brain fog), so just renewed online to keep my licence valid. When I subsequently sent off later for the name change the new licence is valid for 10 years from the photo renewal date - hadn't even noticed, so glad you pointed this out.

timjones 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Tonker:

Did she change the address or another detail without submitting a new photo?

Iamgregp 15 Aug 2022
In reply to hollie_w:

Yeah I just checked mine, same... Only 7.5 years.

Maybe because I didn't update the photo last time?

Ridge 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Yeah I just checked mine, same... Only 7.5 years.

> Maybe because I didn't update the photo last time?

I'm pretty sure the photo has to be changed every 10 years, which is where the 10 year expiry on photcard licences comes from.

Before photocards there was no requirement to update the licence unless you moved house, changed name or got points which used to be printed on the paper licence. Barring any changes you put it in a drawer when you passed your test and ignored it until you turned 70.

You're not renewing your 'licence', you're renewing your picture. Which is a huge error trap (I just checked mine, it's 10 years after the last chance of picture) as most people (me included) would assume it's 10 years from the last issue.

Post edited at 15:15
OP Tonker 15 Aug 2022
In reply to timjones:

> Did she change the address or another detail without submitting a new photo?

Yeah this is this answer.... as others have said it is a requirement to change the photo every 10 years not 10 years from the actual issue of the latest card. Makes sense.

Thanks all.

Jenny C 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Tonker:

There is also the added confusion with covid meaning that lots of people got an 11 month extension. This probably didn't apply if hers expired in January, but they didn't send me a reminder until nearly the end of the extension period.

Edit - if she can renew online this is usually quickest.

Post edited at 16:23
OP Tonker 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

She had to renew today at a post office as she doesn't have a UK passport.

The person processing the application said she could continue drive which went against what I've read online. I questioned this but she was insistent it was fine even though it had expired... my wife will not be risking it though.

petemeads 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Tonker:

Even your insurance policy will allow for driving without a licence, as long as there is no reason for disqualification - check the wording. Mine expired at 70, during Covid,  and I did not join the queue immediately because DVLA were so busy. 9 months later they were even busier but they did send me a form to fill in. Given that my mate had got his licence renewed within the week by going online I chose to do this. The question about eyesight was couched in such a manner that I felt it necessary to admit to glaucoma or risk £1000 fine. This added another 6 months of forms to fill in with details (I included copies of the last 3 reports from Opthalmology) then a demand for an official DVLA test (which I had to respond to by booking at Specsavers within 14 days or lose any right to continue driving, and they chased me up after 7 days) interspersed by long periods of nothing apparently happening to my application.

In all, 15 months of driving 'unlicenced', but when the new one arrived it had a full 3 years validity, rather than expiring at 73. 

Basically it seems the computerised system works well and quickly but once humans get involved, time (on their side) is not of the essence. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...